Friday, January 13, 2017

I Am All Things

Queen Elizabeth, Coronation Day 
            I am not a Queen. I do not have a throne, nor a kingdom, nor a crown. I do not have subjects, or an ounce of royal blood in my bones. But, like a king or a queen, I have a great responsibility given to me by God. I have a business to run and people who depend upon me. This new year has brought along with it some challenges and choices to make. It has revealed some cracks in the foundation of my business and made me re-evaluate many things. Like a queen who sits and resides over the welfare of her kingdom, I find myself doing much the same. No ruler wants to see their kingdom fall, and no business man or woman wants to see their business bankrupt either. Decisions must be made.
            But as these challenges and cracks appeared I found myself being constantly consumed by it all. The decisions I had to make for the business to move forward took up more of my time than I thought they would. My days seem to be filled with nothing but business. There was not a lot of time for me to be someone other than CEO. This bothered me more and more and every day I struggled more and more. I was floundering and I needed my One True King. As I prayed and battled within myself the prayer of Solomon became my prayer, and his desire as a king became my desire as a queen.
“And Solomon went up there to the bronze altar before the lord, which was at the tent of meeting, and offered a thousand burnt offerings on it. In that night, God appeared to Solomon and said to him, ‘Ask what I shall give you.’ And Solomon said to God, ‘You have shown great and steadfast love to David my father, and have made me king in his place, O Lord God, let your word to David my father be now fulfilled, for you have made me king over a people as numerous as the dust of the earth. Give me now wisdom and knowledge to go out and come in before this people, for who can govern this people of yours, which is so great?’”
2 Chronicles 1:6-10 ESV
            I may not be a queen or a king in the worldly sense, but I have been given a kingdom so to speak. I have been given the great responsibility of not only the financial stability of those who work for me, but I have also been given the responsibility of those who use my company’s services. In a respect, I have been given a kingdom; a kingdom to govern, to lead and to serve. I am a queen in the eyes of my One True King.
            This struggle I am in is not because of the responsibility I have, but is a result of me trying to separate the different aspects of my life that make me- me. Solomon was a man, a father, a husband, a son and friend and a king. He was all these things all the time. He didn’t stop being a man just because he sat down on his throne. He didn’t stop being a father because his country needed him. He was all these things all the time. There was no separation. He was fully man and fully king. Jesus was fully God and fully man. There was no separation for Him. He was all things at all times. Jesus did not set God aside to be a man. Nor did He set his manhood aside to be God. He was all things at all times.
            I am a Christian woman, CEO of my own company, a wife, mother, sister, friend, and servant of God. I am all these things at all times. I don’t stop being CEO of my company because my sister calls me for prayer. I don’t stop being mother to my children because I am on the phone with a client. I am all thing at all times. They are not separate; each role is a part of who I am in Christ.
Pinterest
            Solomon’s prayer, his petition before God to be granted wisdom beats in my heart every single day. If you were to read my prayer journals you would see my daily petition to guide me and give me wisdom and understanding. I have been given a great responsibility, a great kingdom of my own, yet I have no idea how to lead it, to govern it or to make it grow. Solomon was made king by God’s decree. Solomon was born to be a king. I am in this business by God’s predestined plan for me. I was born with His purpose and His plan for me, yet I struggle and fight against it. He opened the doors to start this business.  He set my feet in the path I am on, and He has established me to lead it. As queen of my kingdom I need His direction, His wisdom and His guidance for every single step I take. How am I to be all these things at all times if I don’t know how to be any of them?
            The first nugget of wisdom I have received from Solomon’s plea, is to accept the kingdom He has given me. Understand that even though your job, your career, your family, your husband, your children, your ministry do not define you, all of them are a part of you. You cannot stop being who you are or what you do just because you clocked out at the end of the day. You have a kingdom before you. A people to care for, a responsibility to lead, guide, direct, and point all of it back to Christ. The greatest wisdom we can gain from today is that the different roles we play are not separate, they are one in the same. They are what make you- you and me- me.
            I have a business to run. I have people looking to me to provide care for their animals and people looking to me to help put food on their tables. I have a great responsibility. I have a kingdom to govern, a people to lead and a God to answer to. I have children who need me, a husband who loves me and a church that needs my help to serve our community. None of these things define me, because Christ alone defines me. But I can’t stop, nor should I stop being any of them to be a queen. Without these different roles, without these different responsibilities I would not be me.

            I, like Solomon, throw my whole self upon His altar every day, and petition my King to grant me wisdom and understanding to be all these things. I am a Christian. I am a CEO. I am a woman. I am a wife. I am a mother. I am a sister. I am a friend. I am a leader. I am a queen. I am all these things. I am the daughter of the King. Amen.