Thursday, January 19, 2017

7 Pillars To Our Success

            As a young girl, I used to walk from my house to my friend’s house down the street. On my way, one of the sidewalks was badly cracked and the cement was breaking into pieces. I used to sing the song, “Step on a crack, and you’ll break your mother’s back” as I hopped and jumped and skipped my way through the mess of broken cement. I would do everything I could to avoid stepping on a crack and from breaking my own neck over the large chunk of cement sticking up out of the ground.
         
Pinterest
   A few months ago, I noticed some cracks beginning to appear in the sidewalk of my company. Things kept popping up and it felt like we were tripping over ourselves. It seemed like endless issues and fires that needed to be put out. If we were not careful we were going to step on one of those cracks and break the back bone of our foundation. I prayed and asked the Lord to help me with the cracks that kept appearing. We were growing and in the worlds eye we were still considered successful. However, in the day to day operations we were struggling with employee’s, contractors and personnel issues. We were facing poor performances, and what seemed like constant disciplinary issues. Complaints and concerns were coming in from clients and that sidewalk of our success was going to go from cracks to large chunks of broken concrete if I did not do something about it.
            “A leader’s job is to look into the future and see the organization, not as it is, but as it should be.” Jack Welch. These words struck a chord with me. The reason why we were experiencing the issues, the cracks and the broken pieces was not because of the people, but because of its leader. I was focusing on the wrong things. I was focused on the cracks and not the reason for the cracks.
            If you were asked to do something would you not need someone to show you how to do it? If you were given a task, would you not want to know how to accomplish that task? If your leader asked something of you, would you not want to know how to do it to please them? If we, as leaders, do not communicate with those who work for us or serve with us what we desire for the future of our companies, or our ministries, then how are they to know what they are working for? If we do not communicate our vision, how then are they to see where to walk, what to do or when to do it? It is up to us, as leaders to see our organizations as what they can be, what they should be and then communicate that in such a way that those who work and serve with us can help us achieve it.
            I had laid a foundation, but unfortunately, I hadn’t made it strong enough. I had not used wisdom in the thickness of the path that had been laid. That is when I began to cry out to my Lord for wisdom, for guidance, and for understanding. I needed a stronger foundation then the one that was laid. I needed to strengthen and fix the cracks that had appeared and make this way safe again. I knew there were cracks, I needed His help to fix them.
“O LORD, who shall sojourn in your tent? Who shall dwell on your holy hill? He who walks blamelessly and does what is right and speaks truth in his heart; who does not slander with his tongue and does no evil to his neighbor, nor takes up a reproach against his friend; in whose eyes a vile person is despised, but who honors those who fear the LORD; who swears to his own hurt and does not change; who does not put out his money at interest and does not take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things shall never be moved.” Psalm 15 ESV
            All of us want to live right before the Lord. There is a desire in the depths of every one of us who claim the name of Jesus to live our lives pleasing to the Lord. I desire to build and lead this company God has given me in a manner which pleases Him and Him only. But how do I get those who work for me, who serve and labor beside me to want to do the same? This is the challenge that I found before me. As a leader, it is our responsibility to not only teach, lead, guide and direct. But we must also build a sidewalk for them that is not full of cracks. We have been given a path to walk, and the Lord, in His great love makes our way straight, so we, as leaders must be willing to do the same.
Pinterest
            Within the verses of Psalm 15 I found the foundation this company needed. In His Word was the wisdom to pour out a solid, crack- free way for this company and all who work in it to follow. To be a success in life, in business, or even in ministry, you must know where you want to go and you must be willing to sacrifice what you must to get there. That is when I came up with the 7 Pillars to Our Success. Each one is a desire and a commitment that I have made to my company, my clients and to those who work for me. These are also the standards to which we will operate day to day and the standard to which I, as a leader, will hold all others accountable, and to which they must hold me accountable. We must, for the sake of those we serve, commit to be all that God has called us to be.
            I don’t know where you are today, whether you are in business, in ministry or just struggling to find a way in life. I do know that if we do not seek to please God and live right before Him in everything we do or think than our walks will have cracks. They will become broken and we will find ourselves skipping and hopping around the uprooted cement walkways of our lives. We will stumble, we will fall and we will fail. There is no way around it. But we don’t have to keep walking on that broken sidewalk. We must be willing to hold ourselves accountable and fix the cracks that are before us. We can’t skip around them and hope they go away.  As a leader, as a servant of the Most High God, may we see the cracks before us and find the strength to smooth them out.

The 7 Pillars of Our Success
1.We will deal with integrity towards our clients, one another, those whom we do business with, and those within the community we serve. Integrity is that which is complete or entirely in accord with truth and fact. We will choose to do the right thing and deal truthfully, in every instance, and in every circumstance, no matter the cost to our business, nor our personal lives.
2.We will respect our clients, one another, those whom we do business with, and those within the community we serve. We will not speak against anyone falsely, nor make false accusations. We will not slander any person, entity, corporation or those whom we deem to be competition. We will strive to support, encourage and assist others where they may be in need. We will not treat others shamefully or disrespectfully; but will treat others better than we treat ourselves.
3.We will not tolerate insubordination, dishonesty, contempt for one’s peers, slander, disrespect nor intentional harm done to our clients, one another, those whom we do business with, or within the community we serve. We will not tolerate hate.
4.We will seek the betterment and good of all our clients, one another, those whom we do business with and the community we serve. Our yes will be yes and our no will be no. We will, even to our own hurt as a company and as a people, will choose to do the right and honorable thing, no matter the cost or the consequences.
5.We will be consistent and truthful in all our interaction with clients, one another, those whom we do business with, and the community we serve. Our promises will be true and sure.
6.We will be wise and faithful stewards of all our profits, increases, resources and finances God sees fit to provide us with. We will seek to be a blessing to our clients, one another, those whom we do business with, and the community we serve. We will not deal falsely with the government, nor the governing laws regarding our business. We will not deal falsely with our clients, one another, those whom we do business with, nor the community we serve in regards to finances and/or the trade in which we deal.
7.We will treat everyone with honesty and sincerity. We will not discriminate based on religion, sex, race, or any other difference. We will see, recognize and accept each other as children of God, whether black or white, male or female, Christian or not. We will deal fairly and will not show favoritism nor will we promote unjust competition within the foundation of this company.
These are the 7 Pillars to our Success. As a Company, as an individual and as a whole, we will stand upon these Pillars before God daily. We will answer to His Authority every day and will strive to uphold these Pillars to the best of our ability.

Amen. (*Taken from Psalm 15)