Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A Light Devotion

            When I was a little girl, I was afraid of the dark. Not just a little afraid, but extremely afraid. I was sure there were monsters hiding in the dark and if I did not run towards the light they would get me. I slept many nights under the covers, telling myself repeatedly that there was nothing to be afraid of, until I finally fell asleep. As I grew up that fear waned, but every once in a while, I still get that little shudder of fear creeping in when utter darkness blankets the space around me and I find myself running towards the light.
            As Christians, we no longer have that fear of living in darkness because we know that we now live in the light of Jesus Christ. We have been given a very special and precious treasure to reside in us day after day. The veil has been lifted and the light of Jesus Christ has been shed aboard in our hearts. This morning, as I was praying for my unbelieving family, I thought about the light that was in me. Does my family see Jesus in me? Day after day do they see His light, His life and His love being shone from my heart? I must admit that there are days when they probably see a whole lot more of me then they do of Jesus. But, maybe, just maybe they might see Jesus in me, and that might give them the light they need.
            “For God, who said, ‘let light shine out of darkness,’ has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” 2 Corinthians 4:6 ESV
Pinterest
            Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 3:15-16 that there is a veil over the face of those who do not believe. Those who are walking in darkness cannot see the light because they are blinded by their own sins and their hearts are hardened. But, when they turn to Him, when they finally see the depravity of their sins and turn to Him in repentance, that same veil is lifted. They no longer see darkness, but are now running towards the light.
            That light that they saw in us when they were living under that veil didn’t make much sense to them. They probably called you religious, a Jesus Freak, or even made fun of you. But now, that light that is in us, that light that God put into our hearts will give them light, it will illuminate Christ for them and they will come to understand the fullness of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Because you were obedient and you let your light shine for them, they now can see Jesus more clearly than they did before.
            Therefore, we are commanded to live as lights in the world. Therefore, He commands us to live and to follow Him. God shines His glorious light of freedom into our hearts so that as unbelievers turn to Him, they are enlightened and realize that He was everywhere, living right beside them through each one of us.

            God lifts the veil. God alone calls men unto Himself. It is not by our power, or even by our initiative that we have become His. It is because He has called us, chosen us and created us for such a time as this before the foundations of the world. Others should see Jesus in us because when that veil is lifted and they turn to Him, they will know Him because you have known Him. You did not bring them to Christ, God working through you brought them to Himself. Let your light shine before men, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is heaven. (Matthew 5:16) Be the light and let God draw men unto Himself through you. Amen?