Tuesday, October 27, 2015

God's Got This

                A few nights ago I found myself stranded on the side of Highway 70 west about eighty miles from home. My car, which has been sending me warning signs of impending death, finally gave up the ghost. I pulled off the busy highway, called my husband and then called AAA. As soon as I got off the phone, my heart began pounding and my mind started darting to and fro across my brain. I began to grow anxious, and that anxiousness turned into fear, and the next thing I know I am in doubt and wondering if my God is able to provide for us. One question led to another, the how turned into what, what turned back into how and one thought after another reminded me that there was no way we could afford for something like this to happen. In the midst of all these thoughts, doubts and fears, a small beacon of hope cut through my thoughts. Three little words came up from within me and said,                                                                  God’s got this.”
           
 Immediately my heart slowed to a normal pace. I took a deep breath and I prayed. I began to have peace in my heart because I knew that no matter what has happened my God was still on the throne. He saw this day before I did, He knew what was going to happen and when it was going to happen. He was not shocked or surprised by the events of this day. He was way ahead of me, already working it all out. (Romans 8:28) I panicked because I took my eyes of His sovereign rule and reign over my life. I took my eyes off of Him and saw only the predicament I was in. My eyes focused on my lack instead of His provision. My eyes focused on my inability instead of His power.

“do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
Philippians 4:6-7 ESV
                Our women’s study this week is in Exodus 14. In this chapter the children of Israel find themselves trapped by the Red Sea, and the army of Pharaoh is fast approaching.  Up to this point they have been following the Lord their God, they have trusted His cloud by day and His fire by night to lead them wherever it is He wants them to go. They had their eyes firmly fixed on Him. But, in Exodus 14:10 we read that the people of Israel “lifted up their eyes” and saw the entire army of Egypt heading their way;  the chariots, the infantry and a very angry Pharaoh were fast approaching and about to overtake them. The Bible tells us that they freaked out! They just knew they were going to die! In verses 11-12 they get upset with Moses and ask him why in the world did they ever leave in the first place? Their hearts went from trusting the Lord God to fearing their circumstances. Sound familiar?
                I was no different the other night. I was driving along, trusting the Lord and His care for me until I looked up and saw an army coming towards me. My army wasn’t one with chariots and an angry Pharaoh. My army was a pile of bills, and mechanical costs, and maybe having to put together a down payment for a new car, when we haven’t even gotten this one paid off yet. My army was an overwhelming sense of lack. My army was fear; but the Bible tells me to trust and have faith, do not be anxious.
                An anxious heart is troubled with cares; it is distracted with worries and fears of what if, what about, when, and how. An anxious heart becomes distracted and loses sight of where it is supposed to be going. Peter gives us a good example of what an anxious heart looks like in Matthew 14:29-31. Peter sees Jesus walking on the water, and Jesus tells Peter to step out of the boat and come to Him. Peter does, and at first he walks on the water, but as soon as he takes his eyes off Jesus and sees the storm around him, he fears and grows anxious, causing him to sink. Anxiousness causes us to fear, and is the opposite of trusting. If I am troubled with cares and worries and fears then I am not trusting God. Trust requires us to surrender. It requires us to say, even in the midst of the army fast approaching, we believe that God is working out our best interests and He will turn all this for our good and His glory. (Romans 8:28)
Trust means that no matter what happens our God is working out the best for us.
                Trust means surrender not only of the situation, but also of the outcome. When we are anxious, we are not trusting. When we are fearful of our circumstances, we are not trusting. Throughout the Bible we are told to trust the Lord. We are told to trust Him because He cares for us. “Commit your way to the Lord, trust in Him, and He will act.” (Psalm 37:5) If we believe that God is who He says He is then we must also believe that He is and always will be working out what is best for us. Has He ever failed you? No, and He never will.
Pinterest

                I do not know how we are going to come out of this financial war that we are in right now, but I trust. I believe that my God’s got this. I trust that no matter what happens He is working out what is best for me. He does not ask me to figure it out, and He does not even ask that I understand the how’s, the why’s or what’s. He only asks that I trust Him to be my God. He only asks that I trust Him to do what is best for me.
                Paul tells us that in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let our requests be made known to Him. In the midst of that army approaching you, no matter how cornered you think you are, remember that your God’s got this. Give it to Him. Pray and trust that no matter what happens He is working out what is best for you. Pray and give this circumstance, this predicament, this trial and trouble to the One who alone is sovereign, to the One who alone is on the throne.
Trust only comes when we willingly surrender the control of the situation we are in.
                God’s got this my friend. Trust Him that no matter what happens to you today, tomorrow or in the future, He is working out only the best for you. Do not be anxious, but trust. “And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:7) God’s got this. Amen?