Sunday, September 13, 2015

A New Adventure- Pt. 22- Faithful Before Him

           
    Being a Christian in the world of business these days can test you and try you in ways you never thought possible. As the world around us falls deeper and deeper into sin and love of self, being a faithful Christian doing business seems almost impossible. I was continuing my journey in Nehemiah and the word faithfulness just jumped right off the page into my heart. I was so struck by the word that I had to take a few minutes and get down low before the Lord. Was I faithful in the area of business? Was I faithful in my spiritual life? If I were to lay bear my heart before the Lord today, would I be found faithful before Him? This new adventure that I have been walking has come with its fair share of trials and tests, but through them all, was I faithful to Him?
                “You are the Lord, the God who chose Abram and brought him out of Ur of the Chaldeans and gave him the name Abraham. You found his heart faithful before You, and made with him the covenant to give to his offspring the land of the Canaanite, the Hittite, the Amorite, the Perizzite, the Jebusite, and the Girgashite. And you have kept Your promise, for You are righteous.” 
Nehemiah 9:8-9 ESV

                We are not on these paths by accident. God has placed us here, appointed us for this journey we are now travelling. God chose Abram, just like He has chosen us. He chose Abram to spread his wings and set out on a journey of faith, and to trust in His ability to do what He said He would do. To understand what it means for us to be faithful, we need to take a look at the source of all faithfulness.
                “He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.”
1 Thessalonians 5:24
                One of my biggest pet peeves is when I ask someone to do something and they tell me they will get right on it. I wait and wait for a few days, but they still have not done what I have asked of them. I am a results driven person so when this happens I usually end up getting frustrated and doing the project myself. How many times have we prayed and asked the Lord to do something for us, to come through on our behalf and He has not? God is always faithful to do what He says He will do. He may not move as quickly as we ask, or He may not do it when we want it done, but He always does it. He is always faithful to do what He says He will do.
                This same characteristic found in our God should be reflected in His children, in every single one of us. In business and in life, if someone asks you to do something and you agree to do it- then do it. Don’t make excuses to them or to yourself. Be faithful. Be constant and consistent in your relationships to people. Faithfulness means to be consistent, to be steady and constant; it means to be unwavering and unchanging. Your yes means yes and your no means no.
                One of the areas of my life that I am convicted of in regards to faithfulness is prayer. Someone will ask me to pray for them and I will tell them of course I will pray. Then a few days go by and the Lord reminds me that I have not said the prayer, I have not done what I said I would do. Our God is faithful. He is constant and consistent with all His dealings with us. Hebrews 13:8 tells us that Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, our God, is the same yesterday, today and forever. A faithful person does not change, nor do they feel the need to change with the current trends and tides of this world. They are consistent to deliver on their promises; they are constant and firm in all that they do.
                Our God promises to bring us to the end of this journey. He will and is faithful to do it. We must trust and walk in His faithfulness. The same is true of us in business. Others must be able to depend on our services. They must be able to trust that we are faithful to finish the work we have promised to do. Being in a service based industry I have made a promise to fulfill the needs of our clients. If I want the Lord to bless the work of this company, and the work of my hands then I must be trustworthy. If I want the clients to keep coming back, then I must be faithful and trustworthy, someone they can depend on.
                In Nehemiah 9:8 we are told that God found Abraham’s heart to be faithful before Him. God tested Abraham over and over again. I myself find that I am faced with decisions that try my faithfulness in this business. There are times when I could easily skip out early on a visit and not give the client the full 30 minutes of walking that they have paid for. The dog won’t say anything, and how will the client ever really know? I find these tests before me every day, testing me and trying my faithfulness to be consistent in all that I do. If we truly want to be faithful in all that we do, if we want to hear from our Lord that He found our hearts to be faithful before Him then we must choose to be consistent and constant in all our dealings.
                Faithful followers of God do not compromise their integrity no matter the trial, test or challenge that they face. They walk in obedience, firmly trusting and believing that He who promised is faithful and He will do it. “No temptation has overtaken you except that which is common to man; but God is faithful who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13 ESV) There are no excuses for compromise when it comes to being faithful before the Lord. We may be tempted, but our God has given us a way out through faith and trust in His ability to keep His promises.
                No matter the tests and challenges that you will face every day we must remain faithful, unwilling to change, to compromise in what we do, how we do it and why we do it. Nehemiah goes on to tell us in verse 8 that God made a covenant with Abraham to give his offspring the blessings of the Promised Land. Abraham’s offspring is now standing in that same Promised Land, praising God and giving glory to His name for He is and always will be faithful. God keeps His promises, and so should we.

                If you want to be successful on this journey and if you want to be blessed with the fullness of His promises, then let your heart be found faithful before Him. Let your yes and yes and your no be no. (Matthew 5:37) Remember that faithful followers of God do not compromise their integrity no matter the tests or trials that may come upon them. Abraham laid the promised seed, Isaac, upon the altar, fully trusting that He who promised was faithful. Take some time to go before the Lord and ask Him to reveal those areas of your heart that need faithfulness. Ask Him to show you the areas that you may be compromising, that you may be letting slip by, not walking in consistency before Him and others. I pray that we may be found faithful before Him today. In Jesus Name, Amen and Amen.