Saturday, April 11, 2015

A New Adventure Pt. 9- He Who Promised Is Faithful

Photo from: Pinterest
                I am a risk taker. I am the dive in head first and think about the consequences later kind of person. If you have been walking along with me on this new adventure you will know that an opportunity to dive in has come up, and we needed to decide on whether or not I could swim. In my last blog I talked about discernment and how we need to be careful we do not take a step in a direction God never intended us to go. (see link at bottom of page) Opportunities may present themselves to us and we may see them as of the Lord, when in fact they are sent by our enemy to knock us off our paths.
               One such opportunity presented itself to our business just the other day. For all intents and purposes it would look like an answer to prayers. We talked about it, we met with the person who was offering the open door to us, and we left the meeting thinking that this might be our next step. After praying about it, talking about it, and doing some digging, we realized that this was not the direction the Lord wanted us to go and we needed to shut that door. I have to admit that I was ready to dive in head first. I was ready to take the risk and not even consider the consequences. But, thankfully, my God knows me inside and out and had already prepared me through His word to follow His advice in discernment.
                But yet, I find that today, after I see the closed door, that there is this sense of urgency welling up in my soul. I keep thinking that if we don’t get the ball rolling soon we may miss out. My thoughts turn into questions and the next thing you know, my mind is racing with questions. What if someone else does what we want to do first and we miss out? We are following the steps; we are slowly making progress, but what if we are not doing enough? What if we are not moving fast enough? All these questions begin to roll through our minds and our hearts become troubled. Then, in the midst of all these questions, I remembered a very important truth, and a peace settled back into the inward parts of my being. God is the Architect of this journey.
                This path that I am on, this desire to build our business and expand and grow is all because of Him. He has planned it and plotted it. He has purposed it and placed before me the very steps that I am to take. I cannot force open doors that have been shut. I cannot run this path, I must walk it.
                “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make straight your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (ESV)
                The dream, the hope, the promise that God has placed in our hearts when we started this journey has not changed. The same God who gave us our dreams is the same God who will bring it to pass. I am reminded of Abraham and how the Lord God spoke to him in Genesis 12 and told him to leave his home, his family and all that he knew and start out on a new adventure with Him. God put a promise of not only a new land, but a promise that he would become a great nation, a promise of a son.
                “And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing.” Genesis 12:2 (ESV)
                Abraham started on his journey with faith and hope in the promises of God. He could not see the land, nor did he know where he was going. He trusted that the God who promised was also faithful.
                “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.” Hebrews 10:23 (NKJV)
Photo from: Pinterest
                We have been given a promise, a precious path to walk upon. Hold fast to that promise, and to the One who promised it because He IS faithful. If we find ourselves questioning His faithfulness, then we need to turn our eyes to the proof of His faithfulness in our everyday lives. Look at the sun. It rises to its place every day, giving light and hope to those who are in darkness. Every day is a testimony to us of the faithfulness of our God; do not waver in your hope, because He is faithful.
               We must recognize that when our thoughts turn to questions, and our hearts become filled with “what ifs” then we are in danger of falling down in our faith. “For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him, Amen, to the glory of God to us.” (2 Corinthians 1:20 NKJV) God’s promises are yes and Amen not what if. We may grow weary on our journeys, we may grow impatient. But we need to hold fast and hold on. The substance we need to keep walking lies in the knowledge that He who promised is faithful. This truth is our Cliff bar to keep us going. We must have patience on our journeys, and we must have faith. Not because we can see the steps, but because we trust in the One who placed the steps in the first place.

                Paul tells us that Abraham “did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.” (Romans 4:20-21 NKJV) When you start to waver, or your heart begins to grow impatient, remember Abraham, and Sarah, and all the hero’s of our faith, who also held strong to the hope of the promises of God. Let us not waver because one door was closed, but let us praise God for protecting us, for keeping our paths straight (Prov. 3:6) and for giving us the strength to walk this journey. Let us praise God for the Architect that He is, and trust that no matter what doors close, or which ones open He who promised is faithful. Amen.