Tuesday, February 3, 2015

What Goes In Is What Comes Out

Photo taken from: www.etipsfree.com
                A few weeks ago my husband and I decided to start a new journey in regards to our health. We both understood that we were not getting any younger. (The fact that our baby girl will be twenty years old in a few months, is proof that we have well surpassed the young adult age and have found ourselves in middle age) Up until a few weeks ago, I have to admit, I was not feeling the greatest. I was tired all the time, had little to no ambition or motivation to do much of anything. I was gaining more and more weight every day, and my body just seemed to be shutting down on me. So, off we went into a low-carb diet, with no refined sugars and we cut out processed foods. I also added
physical exercise to my daily routine, walking and running on my treadmill for thirty minutes a day. Within a few days I was completely changed. I had energy again. I was motivated again. I had ambition to cook, and to take care of this temple the Lord has given me. The saying is true, what you put into it is what you get out of it. Whether we are talking about our physical bodies, or our spiritual bodies, what we put into them is what we are going to get out of them.
                “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.” Galatians 6:7
                What we put into our bodies plays a huge role in what our bodies give back to us. We were filling up on processed foods, not caring about the amount of carbohydrates, refined sugars or chemicals that we were filling out stomachs with. All we cared about was filling our stomachs. The end result is that both of us were unhealthy, overweight, and headed for strokes or heart attacks. Our bodies were giving back to us exactly what we were giving it. No wonder I was tired all the time and not able to sleep at night. My body was being pumped full of chemicals and sugars that it was never designed to handle. No wonder I went from being active and healthy to being overweight and lazy! The same is true of our spiritual lives as well.
                Paul writes to us in Galatians and tells us that what we sow that we will also reap. The
principle of sowing and reaping goes all the way back to the beginning of time. Adam was to tend the Garden that God had created for him and his wife, and take care of the things that were around them. But instead of tending to it the way God had asked them to, they rebelled and did it their way, allowing sin to creep in, and you know the rest of the story. What we put into this life spiritually is just as important as what you put into it physically. I believe we give our enemy way to much credit. We blame spiritual warfare for the reasons why we are sick, why we are not getting answer to our prayers, or why things are happening in our life the way they are happening. The Devil is not omnipresent. He is not everywhere all the time. Sometimes, maybe things are happening in your life because you are choosing to sow to your flesh rather than to your spirit. Remember, what you sow that you will also reap. God is not and will not be mocked. He is warning you, trying to make you see that what you put into your body physically as well as spiritually will have a direct impact on what you get out of it.
                “For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.” Galatians 6:8
                If you plant the seed of righteousness then you will reap a harvest of righteousness. If you plant the seeds of love, then you will reap love. Paul just wrote to us in the previous chapter about the fruit of the Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23) What is inside fruit? Seeds! These are the seeds that we are to be sowing to our spirits if we want to be reaping the harvest of everlasting life. So many of us are living in defeat and depression because we are sowing to our flesh rather than to our spirits, we are sick because we are sowing to our flesh and not our spirit. God will not be mocked, and we can no longer take what His Word says for granted. Sometimes that trial is happening in your life because you sowed the seed into the ground. You sowed the seed, you planted that seed of gossip and now you are reaping the fruits of that harvest. What you put into your life spiritually is what you are going to get out of it.
                We are either sowing to our flesh or we are sowing to our spirits. Sowing to our flesh means that we are sowing earthly things. It means that we are spending more time on the temporal things of this world then we are the spiritual things of this world. This is how I believe the Lord is explaining it to me. For instance, if what I watch is earthly, fleshly, and temporal than what I am planting in my heart is the seeds of those things. If I watch a movie that if full of immorality and sexual scenes, then what will be harvested from that? You guessed it- immorality and sexual desires. What we put into our bodies physically directly impacts the way we feel and how our bodies respond to our needs. The same is true for our spirits. If all I ever put in is Sunday morning preaching and five minute devotions than that is what I am going to reap. I will not experience the growth that I desire, because I haven’t put anything into it. You are as close to God as you choose to be. The same is true of your spiritual life. If you desire to grow, then put into your body those things that will grow you spiritually.
Pinterest
                A farmer who desires to reap a harvest of corn doesn’t go planting soy beans. He wants corn so he plants corn. What we put into our bodies is what we are going to get out of them. What I watch, what I listen to, what goes into my mind and my heart will have an impact on me somewhere down the road. I am not trying to talk about “karma”- but the actual truth of God’s word states that what we sow that we shall reap. Maybe it’s not “karma” maybe it’s just God’s truth! What you put into your spiritual life is what you are going to get out of it.
                Your choices today have a direct impact on your tomorrow. What you put into your body today will determine what your body gives you back tomorrow. What you put into your spirit today will also determine what you get out of it. If you want to grow in your spiritual life with Jesus, but are finding it hard to do so, perhaps what you are putting into your body isn’t what is beneficial to you. What you put into it is what you are going to get out of it. If you sow to your flesh, don’t be so surprised when trials and struggles come upon you. Don’t give the enemy more credit then he deserves. Perhaps it is happening to you because you are sowing fleshly things instead of spiritual things. Perhaps you need to examine your intake and change your diet.

                Father, I pray today that these words that are written above will reach those for whom You intend them. Father, if these are of me and not of You, then let these words fall to the wayside. Father, help us to see that what we put into our bodies physically as well as spiritually directly impacts every part of our lives, either leading us to sin and death or to life everlasting. Oh Father, if we need to change our diets, Father, give us the wisdom to make those changes today. To You alone be glory, honor and praise forever and ever, in Your most precious name, Jesus Christ we do pray, amen and amen.