Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Tomorrow Never Comes

Photo: Pinterest
                Yesterday was a busy day for me. I had a four hour car ride, had dogs I had to take care of and my husband and I went out for dinner to celebrate our birthday’s. All in all it was extremely busy and I came home exhausted. Needless to say, there was not a whole lot of time during the day to give myself to the Lord or His word. But last night, as I was making my coffee and settling down to relax, I heard the Lord tugging at my heart to come away and spend some time with Him. But all I wanted to do was to sit down, turn on the television and just escape into a world of nothingness. The last thing I wanted to do was read, study or write. I just wanted to be alone.

                So, instead of being obedient to His tugging at my heart I replied, “Tomorrow Lord, tomorrow I am all Yours.” As soon as the words came up from my heart I clearly heard, “tomorrow never comes.” He was right. I knew He was. He knows me so well. I am a procrastinator. Many times I find myself pushing off things until the last minute, making excuses for why I can’t do them today, and find myself pushing off into the tomorrow. But, He is right. Tomorrow never comes.
                This morning I found myself still thinking about tomorrow. I knew that I had told Him that today I would spend some time in His word, but once again, I found my heart and my flesh wanting to push Him off until tomorrow. This is a real struggle for me; a daily struggle. The desire to push off what I can do today, for the hope of tomorrow, is something that I battle all the time, and more times than not, end up doing what I have always done- wait till tomorrow. But the Lord showed me again that tomorrow never comes, and today is all that I have been promised.
                “Come now, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit;’ whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.” James 4:13-14
                Tomorrow never comes. Let us consider this truth for just a minute. Think about your life and the frailty of it all. James reminds us that our lives are but vapors that appear for a little time and then they are gone. Our lives, in the scope of eternity are specks, tiny little dots in the wrinkle of time. Today is all that God has promised us. There is no tomorrow. We have a hope of a future, but the Lord does not promise us more than what we have been given today. When you think about your life in regards to eternity, tomorrow begins to fade away. Today is what I have been given. Today and today alone is what the Lord has promised me.
               Today is the day that I am to be living my life for God. As I think about all the things that I have been putting off, all the excuses I have given Him for why I haven’t done certain things, I find myself asking- what if I don’t wake up tomorrow? What if, while I am driving my car I get into a horrible accident and the Lord takes me home? What if today is the day that the Lord comes to rapture us? What if today is the last day I will ever live upon this earth? When I think about it, if I am honest, I am heartbroken over the many excuses I have given Him and the promises I have made to do it tomorrow.
                “Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says: ‘Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion; in the day of trial in the wilderness, where your fathers tested Me and tried Me, and saw My works forty years.” Hebrews 3:7
                You may be saying to yourself, “I haven’t hardened my heart, I have heeded His voice.” If we are being completely honest and open before the Lord, there are specific areas of our lives that the Lord has clearly told us to let go of, to walk away from and to lay down. Yet, we have not yet heeded His voice; we have pushed it off until tomorrow. To harden one’s heart means to disobey the voice of God. It means that we choose to do what we want to do instead of what we know the Lord has told us to do. I am completely and utterly guilty of this sin. I have many times, and even as I write this blog, been in disobedience because I have not yet let go of the things He has clearly told me to let go of.
Photo From: www.truthforlife.org
                “exhort one another daily, while it is called, ‘Today’, lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end, while it is said, ‘Today if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.’” Hebrews 3:13-15
                Today is all I have. Today I have been given everything I need to walk out my faith upon this earth. Putting off till tomorrow the things that God has clearly shown me to do today is rebellion and I have hardened my heart towards my God. Today is it folks, it’s all we have been given. We may not be here tomorrow. We may be gone, taken up into the heavens in a few hours. What will we have left undone for tomorrow that we could have done today?
                For me, personally, I need to live my life the way He has called me to live it. I need to let go of the things I have been putting off and stop making excuses for why I can’t do them today. I need to let go of yesterday and live for today. There is no tomorrow- all I have been given is today. Today, if we will hear His voice and harden not our hearts, but turn to Him and focus on today, not pushing off till tomorrow what He has called us to do today, then we will be able to say we have lived fully for our Lord- Today.

I pray today that you are encouraged to live your life for the Lord- Today. I pray that we will come to the knowledge and understanding that tomorrow never comes, and who He has called us to be today is who we need to be. I pray that we can begin to live our lives daily, for Him and through Him- while it is yet today. In Jesus Name, Amen and Amen.