Monday, June 16, 2014

Seasons of Drought

                Towards the end of our property there is a very large, very old Live Oak Tree. One of the reasons we fell in love with this property is because of this tree. Hanging from the branches are two swings. One swing to stand on and one swing that will fit two people, the branches of this tree are strong enough to hold just about anyone. The past few weeks have been a whirlwind for me. My family came down from
Our Live Oak
Iowa and I had a houseful of guests. Then my aunt became ill and ended up in the hospital. (She is much better- Praise God!) Because of these events, I found myself in a season of drought. Finding time to read my Bible, pray, study and spend quiet moments with the Lord were nonexistent. At first I got a little frustrated, and after about a week, I was finally able to open my Bible, take a breath and be filled with His goodness. In these quiet few minutes, the Lord spoke to me, and showed me that drought will happen, but it’s how I prepare for the drought that makes all the difference.
                “The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; you shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.” Isaiah 58:11
                These words spoke to me in so many ways. First of all, I was feeling parched. I had found myself in the middle of a drought, and stranded in a desert from God’s Word. But through it all He still sustained me. The early morning discussions about His grace and mercy, the one or two minutes of prayer that I could get in as I drifted off to sleep, they weren’t much- but He sustained me through this drought and my water did not fail.
                He showed me that I had prepared for this drought because I chose to spend every day in His word. I spend my morning with Him, my afternoons with Him, and even sometimes if I can, my evenings. Because of these days spent with Him; my branches can hold the weight of anyone, even in these seasons of drought. Like the Live Oak, my roots are deep, and have weathered these seasons of drought before. But none of this would be possible, none of these drought seasons of my life would be sustainable had I not chosen to grow my roots deep, had I not chosen to drink in all He had for me during the rains that He brought.
                For me, these seasons of drought usually come when life gets crazy. Trials and tribulations come upon us and the next thing you know I haven’t spent any time with the Lord. Life gets in the way, and His Word lays quietly waiting for me to come back. If we take the time daily to seek Him, to spend time with Him, then when these seasons of drought come, our branches will still be strong, our gardens will still bear fruit, and the water of life will continue to flow from us. But to be able to withstand the droughts, we must first be willing to soak in all that He gives us in the days of abundance.
                Don’t take His word for granted, and don’t take the days He gives you for granted either. Today may be the day that you need to soak in as much of His word as possible because the day of drought is coming. Just like that big Live Oak that stands so majestic and strong in our yard, no matter the season that comes upon it, it is able to withstand.
                “For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, which spreads out its roots by the river, and will not fear when heat comes. But its leaf will be green, and will not be anxious in the year of drought, nor will cease from yielding fruit.” Jeremiah 17:8
Our Live Oak
                I was able to withstand this season of drought because I had first planted myself by the rivers of His living waters. I was able to spread my roots deep and did not fear when the heat came. I was able to stand strong against the burning heat of trials and was able to give to my family and my aunt what they needed. I was able to be the branch that held their swing.

                Don’t take today for granted. Don’t take His Word for granted. If I have learned one thing out of all of these past few weeks, it would be to treasure these times of plenty, and do not take them for granted. Without these days of plenty, without these days of His Word, I would never have been able to withstand the drought that came my way. Take every moment you can to soak up all the splendor of His Word today, because when the heat comes, when the drought overtakes you, you will be able to withstand. I pray the Lord bless these words of mine today. I pray that whomever the Lord desires to hear these words today will hear them and will draw closer to Him through them. To Him alone be the glory, forever and ever, Amen.