Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Is He Enough?

Image taken from: livingthejourney.com
                This morning I found myself in the midst of discouragement. Lately it just seems like nothing is going right. Not particularly with my life, per say. But with other areas that seem to weigh on me day after day. The past few months have been difficult in regards to our household finances. My son and his beautiful wife got married in October and we had a reception at our home for them the first week of June. The cost of the reception really set us back financially. Since then we have been trying to play catch up. Unfortunately,
just about everything else seems to need our financial support too. My car needed help; my husband was in need of medication for his diabetes, not to mention the daily needs that require money, as well as all the other little bills that pop up from out of nowhere. It got to the point this morning that I cried out to the Lord for help.
                I generally pray to the Lord for His provision daily, because I know that we have what we have because He has blessed us with it. But this morning, it became an urgent plea for His help. I found myself asking Him if there was an area of my life that I was being disobedient and because of this He was withholding His blessings. I examined my heart to see if I was hardened in any way towards His Holy Spirit. To be honest, there are some areas of my life that I need to lay down before Him and beg for His mercy. But that was not what He was showing me this morning, instead, He asked me if He was enough for me. (I want to add that our God still blesses us, even when we are not being obedient, because His blessings are not determined by our works, but by His grace.)
                “After these things, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision saying, ‘Do not be afraid Abram, I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward.’” Genesis 15:1
                As I read these words a peace that surpasses understanding came upon me. The Lord my God, He is my shield. He places around me and before me a hedge of protection. Nothing and no one can harm me because He is my God. He is my protector, and He never lets go of me. No matter what I do, where I go or what I say, He is always and will always be my God and my shield. There is nothing and no one that can harm me unless He gives them permission.
                But these trials and struggles we are facing with our finances always put me into a state of discouragement. I get frustrated when I see money going out but not a whole lot coming in. Which brings me to my lesson from the Lord this morning, and a reminder of how great and mighty He is. The Lord God tells Abram that He is his “exceedingly great reward.” When I get discouraged, when I get worried about our
finances, it never fails- I take my eyes off the wonderful blessings that I have been given and focus on what I do not have right now. I take my eyes off the truth of His greatness in and through my life, and begin to focus on what I don’t have.
                The Lord God, is He enough for me? When I see the money going out and nothing coming in, when I see the physical needs that we have that need to be met, and begin to get discouraged, the Lord asks me, “Am I enough for you?” Is He? Is He enough? If I take my eyes off all that I don’t have and begin to focus on what I do have, I see the greatness of His mercy. I see the great blessings that He has given me. I see the gifts of His grace. I see the fullness of His love. I see the abundance of life that He has blessed me with. When I look at upon all that He has done, I no longer see my lack, but I see the riches of His love being poured out upon me, day after day.
                That is why He is and always will be enough for me. He has never left me. He has never forsaken me. He has never let me down, disappointed me or caused me to feel lack in any area of my spiritual life. But when the earthly is pressing in, I lose sight of these truths and discouragement finds its way into my heart. “Let your conduct be without covetousness, be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you, nor forsake you.’ So we may boldly say, ‘The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?’” (Hebrews 13:5-6
                If I never become rich; if for the rest of my life upon this earth I have to live pay check to pay check, then so be it. Because the Lord my God, He is enough for me. He is my reward. He is my protector, my constant aid in distress. He is my salvation. He is my hope. He is my Redeemer. He is my Deliverer. He is my all in all. He is my God. I may never be able to get out from under the bills that keep piling up. I may never find financial freedom in the midst of this life. But none of that matters. None of that can take away the truth that my God is my exceedingly great reward.
                The Lord has shown me today that no matter the financial struggles we may face, no matter the discouragements that come into our lives, we have Him and that He alone should be enough for us. He has never left me behind, nor has He ever forgotten one single need that I have had. He has never left me lacking in any area of my life. There is nothing, and there is no one that can ever take away His love for me. For me today, the cure for my discouragement is to open my eyes to the wondrous care and love that He has for me. Even in the midst of my unfaithfulness, even in the midst of my wanderings, even in the midst of my doubt and unbelief, and yes, even in the midst of my disobedience- He has never left me, nor has He ever forsaken me. He is enough for me.

                Father God, I pray today that we would see the glorious goodness of Your riches which You have so freely bestowed upon each one us. Father, if there is anyone out there who is struggling with finances, health, family problems, marriage problems, and is in the midst of discouragement; Father I pray that these words You have placed on my heart will encourage them to draw close to You, our exceedingly great reward. May Your word be a blessing to all those who need Your peace and comfort today. In Jesus Name, to You alone be the glory, forever and ever. Amen and Amen.