Thursday, June 19, 2014

Do I Have the Right To Question God?

Photo taken from: flamesnation.ca
                I have found myself questioning God many times throughout my walk these past fourteen years. Asking Him why certain things have happened, why He allowed this trial to happen, why He brought this trouble into my life, and so on. Many times I have found myself wondering why He does things the way He does them. This morning as I was preparing for our study in the book of Acts, I came across a few
scriptures that referenced the Sovereignty of God. As I read these scriptures I asked myself the question, “Do I have the right to question God?”  Do I have the right to ask Him why He allowed certain events to take place in my life? Do I have the right to ask Him why He would bring a certain trial before me to walk in? Do I have a right to question His reign over me?
            

    “God reigns over the nations; God sits on His holy throne. The princes of the people have gathered together, the people of the God of Abraham. For the shields of the earth belong to God; He is greatly exalted.” Psalm 47:8-9 NKJV
                “He rules by His power forever; His eyes observe the nations; do not let the rebellious exalt themselves.” Psalm 66:7 NKJV
                “The Lord reigns, He is clothed with majesty; the Lord is clothed, He has girded Himself with strength. Surely the world is established, so that it cannot be moved.” Psalm 93:1 NKJV
                “All the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing; He does according to His will in the army of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth. No one can restrain His hand or say to Him, ‘What have You done?’” Daniel 4:35 NKJV
                “And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude, as the sound of many waters and as the sound of mighty thundering, saying, ‘Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns!’” Revelation 19:6 NKJV
                As I read these scriptures I found myself in awe. In awe not only for the great and mighty power that my God has over the earth, but also for the great and mighty power the Lord God has over me. The Lord reigns, the Bible tells us, over and over again- He alone reigns. He alone is King of kings and Lord of lords. He alone is Sovereign. There is none other but Him. He rules, He alone is Law, Judge, He alone governs every detail of every living thing upon this earth. The first Psalm (Psalm 47:8-9) states that the “shields of the earth belong to God”. All strength and all power upon this earth is His because He is all strength and all power. The next Psalm (Psalm 66:7) tells us that “He rules by His power forever”. His power, His reign and His rule is from eternity past to eternity future. Every single one of these scriptures points us to the Omnipotence of our God.
                He is Omnipotent. He is infinite in power, He is endless in strength. His greatness and His majesty cannot be compared to. He is unlimited in every aspect of His being. There is nothing, absolutely nothing out of His control. Even the unbelievers are in His control. Everything that happens to us as believers or as unbelievers is under the powerful reign of our Sovereign God. His rule is infinite and His rule is unlimited. So I ask again, what right do I have to question my God?
              If God is sovereign, if God rules and reigns every aspect of your life, then do we have the right to question His ways? “For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor?” (Romans 11:34) “For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.” (1 Corinthians 2:16) I believe that we do not have the right to question God. I believe that if we truly desire Him to be King and Ruler over our lives then our “Why’s” will turn into “What’s”.
                When we find ourselves asking “Why” we are questioning God’s Sovereignty over our lives. When we ask Him why He has allowed something to come into our lives, or why some trial has come upon us, we do not trust His rule and reign over us. When these trials and troubles come (and they will come) instead of questioning why, we need to be asking what. What does the Lord want to teach us through this? What in my life does the Lord want to change through this? What would the Lord have me to do in the midst of this? What does He require of me? Why doubts God- What trusts God.
                I do believe that it is okay for us to question God. But I think too many times we are asking the wrong questions. Why doubts, what trusts. If the Lord God is our Creator, the reason we exist. If He is our Provider, we have because He gives; if the Lord is King, Ruler and Sovereign over us then do we not also believe in His complete and unlimited power over our lives? His will, His desires, His purposes and plans for our lives will come to pass. Daniel tells us that “He does according to His will…..No one can restrain His hand or say to Him, ‘What have You done?’” (Daniel 4:35) Nothing that happens to us is by chance, there is a purpose and a reason behind everything that God does in and through our lives. Our “why’s” doubt His rule and reign over our lives. But our “what’s” trust in Him and His Sovereignty. May all our why’s become what’s, and may our God be Sovereign over every aspect of our lives. In Jesus Name, to Him alone be glory forever and ever, amen and amen.