Wednesday, November 6, 2013

What You Put Into It, Is What You Get Out Of It

                Over the years I have been involved in various Women’s Studies. I have spent time with women from all walks of life. Through the years the Lord has grown me and now has me preparing and leading a study of my own. (What He is preparing me for, I do not know, but I trust that whatever it is it will be for His glory.) However, one constant thing remains throughout all the studies I have been involved in; what you put into it, is what you get out of it.

                Many women over the years have come to me and asked me how I study my Bible, and why is it that I get so much out of the study, more than they do. And, my answer is always the same- what you put into it, is what you get out of it. Like any relationship, the more attention you pay to it the more rewarding the relationship will be. If you just spend a few minutes a day with someone, you most likely won’t have a strong relationship. For me, personally, that has never been good enough when it comes to my relationship with Jesus.
                It all started when I fell in love with my bible. My first ever Bible Study teacher told me that my bible was my treasure box. Inside of it was all the riches and treasure that my heart desired, and that in its midst were all the answers that I was seeking. At this time in my life, I needed to hear that drastically. My husband was an unbeliever, my mom had written me out of her will because I had “denied the holy faith” (Catholicism) and I had become a “Jesus Freak” as some of my other family members claimed. Most of my family was ready to do an intervention because they had thought I had joined a cult. I was under much persecution from people who I loved and who were supposed to love me. But my Bible became my everything, it became not only my treasure, but my source of life, because in it I found and came to know Jesus Christ, my love, my Savior, my Lord, my King, through it I found my One True Love.
               “For where your treasure is there your heart will be also.”  Matthew 6:21
                Where is your treasure? You wonder why you don’t get a lot out of your devotion times, or you don’t get a lot out of the study you are involved in, so I ask you, where is your treasure? Do you treasure His Word? Do you treasure Him? Remember, what you put into it is what you are going to get out of it. If you put more into your daily routine than you do with your God, then most likely, you are missing out on some of the greatest treasures you will ever know, and the answers you seek may never be found.
                “…as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who has called us by glory and virtue.” 2 Peter 1:3
                Peter states that He, God the Father, has given to us all things. All means all and that’s all all means! He has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness. It is through Jesus Christ and His Word that we can know all the things that God desires us to know. But, once again, we are going to get out of it what we put into it. If you want to know God more, if you want to grow in your walk with Jesus than you must put into it what you want to get out of it. He is not going to give you more than you want; He only gives you what you ask for. If you only ask for a few minutes, then that is all He is going to give you. God will never force Himself upon you. If you want to know Him, then all you have to do is ask and spend time with Him.
                If you are struggling with a study, or you are struggling with your walk- then most likely it is because you are not putting anything into it. All relationships take work, all relationships take time to develop, to learn about one another and the only way to do that is to spend time working on it. What you put into it is what you are going to get out of it. Remember, as I have said this before, you are as close to God as you choose to be. He desires to be totally and completely yours, do you desire for Him to be totally and completely yours? That is the question. If you want a closer walk with Jesus, if you want to grow in your spiritual life, than put into it what you want out of it.
                I see so many women struggling today because they put other things above their time with Jesus. One thing I have always firmly stood upon is my time with Jesus every day. When my children were little, sometimes that time came after they had went to bed. I have studied my bible on my lunch breaks, in the car listening to the bible on audio, when we went on vacations, when we went to visit family, I strived to make time for Jesus everyday- even if that meant more than once a day. Even if that meant that I studied and read and prayed four times a day. What you put into your relationship with Jesus is what you are going to get out of it. The choice is yours- you are as close to God as you choose to be.

                My bible is my treasure box. In its pages I have found my One True Love, I have found peace, I have found everything I have ever needed to live this life of godliness that He has called me to. If you are struggling, then perhaps you need to examine how much you actually put into your relationship with Jesus. Is He the one you run to, is His Word your refuge? Is your bible your treasure box? God holds nothing back when it comes to Himself. He gives and gave it all so that you and I could have the life, the everlasting, joy-filled life He always intended us to have. But, it is up to you how much of that life you really want. He gives it all to us; all we have to do is put in the effort. When we seek Him, we will find Him, the question is-do you want to find Him? What you put into your relationship with Christ is what you are going to get out of it. It’s your choice, God will not force Himself upon you, but if you want Him, if you want to know Him more, than all you have to do is ask- and He will grant it.

                Fall in love with your bible and you will fall in love with Jesus. It’s that simple. To You be the glory now and forever, Amen and Amen.