Saturday, November 23, 2013

I'm Tired!

                Are you tired? Tired of the struggles of life? The more you try to be a better person, the more you try to do the right thing, the more struggles you seem to face, and the more tired you become. I know the feeling, because I was once there too. Last Thursday during our women’s study, we talked about how we
were tired, tired of fighting, tired of struggling, and just tired of being tired. One of my sisters in the Lord said that is how she felt right before she came to the Lord. She was tired, just plain tired of life and all the constant struggling. It was then that the Lord showed me that we are tired because we are fighting against Him, our Maker.
                I see the struggles and listen to women talk about how tired they are of this life. Some days it seems like it will never end. They are constantly fighting with someone or against something. What I want all of us to realize is that the struggle and the fight is not with others or life, but our fighting is with God. It all comes down to control. If we are truly honest with ourselves we would know that we really do not have any control at all. I do not know where you are at in your life. You may be a Christian, you may not be. But the fact of the matter remains that we are all fighting against God, or have fought against God at some point in our lives for control.
                The first mention of “fighting against God” is found in 2 Chronicles 13:12. There are armies coming against Judah. Abijah was the king of Judah at the time and he saw what the true issue of this battle was all about.  “Now look, God Himself is with us as our head, and His priests with sounding trumpets to sound the alarm against you. O children of Israel, don’t fight against the Lord God of your fathers, for you shall not prosper!”
                He was right. We will never win the fight against God. To fight against God means that we strive against His power in our lives, we struggle against His love, His sacrifice and His unending care for us. The more I fight Him, the harder my life becomes. Before I gave up the fight, my life was a mess. I was lost, alone, scared, and most of all, I was tired. I was tired of being me; I was tired of searching for answers that never amounted to anything. I would read and listen to the world telling me how to change, how to be a better person. But that change never lasted. No matter how I tried, all that I ever accomplished was to be even more tired. It was when I realized that I was fighting against God that my life actually began to change.
              
  Why do we fight against God? I believe it is because we don’t want to give up control. We want our lives to go the way we think they should. To give up and surrender to God would mean that we would have to become who He wants us to be. Not many of us are willing to admit that who God wants us to be is always going to be more glorious then who we want to be. I never imagined that I would be a writer, with a book about to be published; I never imagined that I would be sitting here at my desk, teaching people about God. Who I wanted to be, or who I thought I wanted to be was nothing compared to the plan and purpose that God has determined for me.
                We fight and struggle against God because we are not willing to surrender. We are not willing to lay down what we want because we are either afraid of what He may ask us to do, or we are too prideful to admit we need Him. I see so many women struggling in their lives because they are not willing to let go. They are not willing to stop fighting against God. They are not willing to surrender control to the One who created them and loved them so much that He died for them.
                When you think about it, even the very breath you breathe is not in your control. We know that our lungs and hearts are involuntary muscles- they are not controlled by us. We can stop breathing if we want, but our brains will kick in and make us want to breathe. This reminds me of Isaiah 45:9, “Woe to him who strives with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth! Shall the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’ or shall your handiwork say, ‘He has no hands?’” When we fight against God, we are saying to Him who gives us breath to live another day, “I want no part of You.” When we fight against God, we are telling Him that He has no idea what He is doing, that His power over us means nothing. Do we not realize that we are breathing because He desires it? We are His clay, and when we fight against Him, all we are doing is making ourselves tired from the struggle.

                So much of our struggles and trials in this life could be gone if we would just stop fighting. Do we not understand that when the Lord says that His thoughts towards us are of peace and not evil, to give us a future and a hope, (Jeremiah 29:11) that He really means it? If we would stop fighting God and start believing Him, we would see the change we desire for our lives and we would find the rest that we seek. I do not know where you are at with God the Father, but this I can tell you for sure, if you are struggling and tired, then most likely, you are fighting.
                Surrender the fight, give up the struggle and raise your white flag. He is not a God who will come and destroy you, but He will begin to restore you and give you the rest you so desperately seek. Surrender begins with you, the battle you are fighting ends with you. God does not fight with you, He fights for you. Besides, my brothers and sisters, you will not win this fight with God- you will not prosper. So the question remains, are you ready to stop fighting? Are you ready to surrender to the God who holds you in His hands, to the God who promises to be your sun and shield, to give you grace and glory, and not withhold any good thing from you? (Psalm 84:11) Are you willing to stop fighting God and start believing Him? That is the question.

                May the God of peace, the God of good, the God of mercy and grace show you the battle you are fighting is with Him, and may He bring you to a place of surrender, and give you the rest you so desperately seek. To Jesus Christ be the glory, now and forever, amen and amen. If you need prayer, please email me via the contact form located on this blog. To the Amen be glory.