Friday, July 5, 2013

I Can't Do This

                “I can’t do this.” Most of us have said these words at some point in our lives. We have been asked to do something that we know nothing about, and the first thought is, “I can’t.” I have been struggling with these words myself lately. If you were not aware, I am writing a book. It is something the Lord laid on my heart a long time ago and I have been struggling with it ever since. I started out well, but as always, I find myself saying, “I can’t do this.” I cry out to the Lord and tell Him that I am fooling myself; I have no idea what I am doing. I struggle with why I am doing it, is it for fame and fortune, or for His glory. Back and forth I go with the Lord Jesus, day after day I find excuses to not write, or I use the distractions in my life to keep me from the calling He has clearly confirmed to me.

                Once again, as I was crying out the Lord this morning about my inability to write anything worthwhile, I happened to look up from my prayers and see my Bible open to a passage of scripture. I believe there are no coincidences with God, all is orchestrated by Him, and so this was no coincidence. He was speaking to me about my struggles with “I can’t”.
                “For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty,” 1 Corinthians 1:26-27
                I never went to college, and to be honest, I barely made it through high school. My love for writing started at an early age. I used to write poetry, and songs and short stories. I have always had a journal of some sort, and a diary as a young girl. Writing for me is more than just words on a page; it is a way of expressing me, my thoughts and my desires. I write better than I talk. In high school, I had a journalism teacher that encouraged me to write. He was always telling me that I had talent, that I should pursue writing for a career. The desire to write a book has always been there in me; deep down it is always something that I wanted to do.  But, life happens and dreams get pushed aside for children, husbands and all the other things our worlds put in our paths. The more I let get in the way, the more I found myself saying, “I can’t do this.”

                But what if we can do this? What if the dreams that we have, the dreams that we have had from childhood, are callings placed on our lives by God? What if the dreams we have are true callings from God? As I study this passage of scripture, I see the answers I needed to hear. God does not put a call on our lives because we are smart, beautiful or wealthy. He places calls on our lives because He sees the potential we have for His glory.
                I am not a college graduate, and the only writing courses I have ever taken have been the two in High School. But no amount of study, no degree and no course offered by the world can ever replace the calling I have in Christ Jesus. The word “calling” means an invitation. The calling on our lives is an invitation from God to become His, for His purpose and His glory, to be His people. Paul not only tells us that we are called, but that we are chosen as well. (vs. 27) Chosen means that God has handpicked you for a specific task or purpose. We all have a calling on our lives, and God has handpicked you to fulfill the path that He has laid before you. It is our own fears that stop us from becoming all that God desires us to become.
                I never would have imagined that I would be sitting in my home writing a blog, let alone fulfilling my dreams of being a writer, and possibly a published author. (Lord Willing)  But that is what God has called me to be, and it is through His wisdom and His glory that it shall all come to pass. I can’t do anything. I have this calling on my life because God has chosen it for me. I did not choose this direction, God chose it for me. A pastor of mine once told me that God does not call the equipped, He equips the called.
                I have no idea how to write a book, but my God does. He wrote the whole Bible. God has called me to be His keyboard. He has chosen me to be a vessel for His glory. In 2 Corinthians 4:7 Paul tells us that we are earthen vessels, we are cups and bowls used by God so that the “excellence of the power may be of God and not of us.” I can do nothing in my own strength, because the calling that I have on my life is not mine. It is God’s calling which He has chosen for me. I can’t, but God can.

                Peter and John are a perfect example of what it means to have a calling on your life, and how foolish that seems to the world around us. In Acts 4 Peter and John go up to the temple, where a lame man is begging for any morsel of kindness that he can get. Peter and John talk to him about Jesus and heal him. This caused a great uproar with the leaders of the temple, so they bring Peter and John before them. Peter and John tell them about Jesus, and about His glory. And in verse 13 of Chapter 4, the leaders of the temple are amazed and they “perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men…” Peter and John had a boldness to live out the calling that God had placed on their lives. We are to have that same boldness when it comes to our calling.
                It may look like foolishness to the world around us, the strong and wise may look at our dreams and laugh, telling us that there is no way we will ever be able to do it. The wealthy and the rich may try to stop us, but it is God who has placed the calling on your life, it is God who has chosen you for “such a time as this” (Esther 4:13). It is God who calls you, and it is God who equips you. You have been given gifts, gift to edify and build up the church of God. These gifts are the equipment that God has given you to fulfill the calling He has placed on your life.


                You may be saying to yourself, “I can’t do this.” But God is telling us today that we can do all things through Christ Jesus, (Philippians 4:13) because He has given us the gifts we need to fulfill our destiny. In Him we are called, in Him we are chosen, and it is through Him we are able to fulfill the calling that He has chosen for each and every one of us. God does not call those who are already full of their own glory, but He uses those that are humble and willing to be used of Him. You have a dream, we all do. What is that dream, because that could be your calling. My dream of being a writer is not my dream, but His calling on my life. I choose to be used by God, because He deemed me worthy of this calling. Follow the dreams that you have and don’t let the wise, the mighty, or the noble of this earth tell you “You Can’t,” because in Christ you can. Amen and Amen.