Friday, June 21, 2013

Witness Pointing

                I have been doing a bible study in the book of John these past few weeks, and so much has been brought out to me through God’s Word. The book of John is the book that most begin reading after they become Christians. We are told to start reading in John to get to know Jesus. I have listened to many pastors and teachers go through the book of John, but I have never really taken the time to go through it for myself. As I prayed months ago about what book to study, the Lord spoke to me and said, “Go back to the beginning.” At first I thought He meant the book of Genesis, but after more prayer, I understood that He desired me to “Go back to the beginning”, to where I first learned of Jesus. So, the book of John is where I have been camped out.

                There is so much richness, goodness and meat found in the book of John, and I do encourage you who read this blog to take some time this summer and just read through it, let it penetrate your heart and see the Lord Jesus Christ with fresh and renewed eyes. You will not regret it. But I digress. Let me get back to my point.
                John the Baptist is considered a great man of God. He was created by God for a purpose and a reason, to be a witness who points others to Jesus Christ. As I study the life of John and his ministry, I am intrigued by the similarities to our Christian walks. Now, I am no John the Baptist, I am not going to begin eating locusts and honey and running around Wal-Mart in nothing but camel hair, but, I am a light bearer, just like John.
                “There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. This man came for a witness to bear witness of the Light; that all through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.” John 1:6-8
                John was a witness, he testified to all who would listen of the One to come, the One to save them, the One that would give them life.  So what exactly is a witness? A witness is someone who declares that he/she has experienced someone or something, that they have seen and heard and can attest to the truth of it. As I pondered on this thought, I realized that being a witness doesn’t mean I have to go door to door, or following people around the grocery store telling them about Jesus. A witness is someone who shares their life and experience with Jesus to others.

                Every time you tell someone or share with others what God is doing in your life, you have become a witness for Him. Anytime you pray for someone, or speak an encouraging word to someone you are being a witness for Christ. You do not have to have the gift of evangelism to be a witness for Jesus Christ, because you already are a living, walking, breathing testimony of Who He is to all who look and listen to you.
                The other thing I noticed about John the Baptist is that he always pointed to Jesus. When the Pharisees came to him and asked him who he was, he replied, “I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness; make straight the way of the Lord.” (John 1:23) He could have said that he was a man sent by God to tell them about the Christ, but he focused on pointing them to Jesus. He also stated that “It was He who, coming after me, is preferred before me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to lose.” (John 1:26) He came to point others to Christ.
                Have you ever seen a Pointer dog? A pointer dog is a dog used in hunting. According to the American Kennel Association, it is a “hard driving dog possessing stamina, courage and the desire to go.” They are also described as devoted, loyal, patient, friendly and an affectionate breed of dogs. When a pointer has found what he is looking for, he will point. This tells the hunter where to look. We are no different as Christians. We are to be like these pointers, pointing others to Jesus Christ, just as John the Baptist did.
              
  We are to be determined, not giving up easily, and have a desire to tell others about Jesus Christ, not only in our words but in our actions as well. We are devoted to our God; we want others to know about Jesus, we point to Him and Him alone. John the Baptist is an intriguing figure, but he was also just a man sent by God to bear witness, to testify and to point others to the One who would save them, Jesus Christ. As soon as he had pointed Jesus out as the One, he let them go to follow Jesus on their own. He testified and lived a life that was always on full point to Jesus. Do we live as witnesses and pointers in our world?
                Telling others about Christ and pointing them to Jesus means that we live for Him and we desire for others to hear of His goodness, His mercy, His faithfulness and His salvation. We make being a witness so much harder than it really is. We think we have to be called to speak to someone about Christ, when we forget that we already have been called. Being a witness for Christ is much simpler than we make it. God desires for all men to be saved, and through us; His pointers, His salvation can be clearly seen. All we have to do is be willing to speak, and willing to point when the time comes. Be a witness, let others know about the goodness of God in your life, and when they come seeking- point them to Christ.

                We are vessels; we have been given the great privilege to point others to Christ, just as John the Baptist. We are ordinary people who God has chosen to use to be light bearers for the One who came to save the whole world. Witness, testify and then point, Jesus will do the rest. May the Lord God give you wisdom to be the witnesses for Him and to be the pointers He desires us to be, to Him be the glory, amen and amen.