Friday, June 14, 2013

Our Redeemer Lives

                As you will gather, I have been silent on my blog for a few weeks. It is not that I haven’t wanted to post, but I have had family coming and going since the 1st of June. First, it was my sister and my niece who came in and then we went to the Outer Banks and spent the week relaxing and vacationing along the beautiful Carolina Coast. Then my dad and his wife came in on the 8th and left this morning.  It has been a busy two weeks to say the least!
The first morning at the beach, I woke to the sound of the waves crashing against the beach, and the gentle salt scented breeze finding its way to our upper deck. It was a beautiful morning and it was a time of quiet devotion with my Lord Jesus. Everyone was still asleep and I had Him all to myself.

                As I sat there, listening to the waves and breathing in the warm summer breeze of salt air, I found myself singing a song, “My Redeemer Lives” by Nicole C. Mullins. The Lord brought to my remembrance these lyrics:
Who taught the sun where to stand in the morning? 
And who told the ocean you can only come this far? 
And who showed the moon where to hide till evening? 
Whose words alone can catch a falling star? 

Well I know my Redeemer lives
I know my Redeemer lives
All of creation testifies
This life within me cries
I know my Redeemer lives

The very same God
That spins things in orbit
Runs to the weary, the worn and the weak
And the same gentle hands that hold me when I'm broken
They conquered death to bring me victory

Now I know, my Redeemer lives
I know my Redeemer lives
Let all creation testify
Let this life within me cry
I-I-I know
My Redeemer

He lives
To take away my shame
And He lives
Forever I'll proclaim
That the payment for my sins
Was the precious life He gave
And now He's alive and
There's an empty
Grave! 

And I know
My Redeemer lives
He lives
I know
My Redeemer lives
Let all creation testify
Let this life within me cry
I-I-I know my Redeemer

                As I sang this song, the Lord showed me how He is always in control, there is nothing out of His control and all things are in His hands. This was a much needed reminder for me, since my sister is still a non-believer. I have for years prayed for my sister to come to know the Lord, but she has resisted over the years. But I thought, this might be a good time, since it is just us and our girls enjoying a relaxing week alongside one of the greatest, most majestic works of His creation; the Atlantic Ocean.

                However, things did not go as I had hoped, it seemed like the harder I tried, the more I found her resisting. The last time I spoke to her from the Bible, I heard the Lord say to me, “Don’t cast your pearls.” For those of us who have unsaved family members, our hearts break. We know the life and the love of Jesus Christ and we desire for them to have it as well. We see their pain, their hurts, their sorrows and their struggles and we just want them to wake up and see the hope and joy that comes through Jesus Christ. All their struggles could be turned to praise if they would just turn their eyes to Jesus. But, alas, they choose to believe the lies of the world, the lies of the enemy instead of the truth of Jesus Christ.
                So what do we do, when our family members choose to live against Christ and not for Christ? We pray, we plant and we pray some more. That is all the Lord God asks us to do. We live before them the life of Christ, we speak His word and we allow Him to do the work in their hearts. Our family members remember us before we were Christians, and they still hold those images in their minds. They may never come to see Christ in you, not because they don’t want to, but because they can’t. Their minds are darkened and their hearts are deceived by the deceiver. So we pray, we plant the seeds of His words in their hearts when we can, and pray the Lord God to do the work He promises to do.
                “So shall My Word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11



                We pray- we pray for the Lord God to open their hearts to receive His words, whether spoken or seen in who we are in Him. We plant- we plant His word by speaking His word. We pray- we pray that His promise to not allow His word to return void to Him but to accomplish in the hearts of those who are dearest to us grow up and please Him. We pray, we plant, we pray. That is how we must and should minister to the hearts of our families who deny His grace and His mercy, and who need His forgiveness and Salvation. We can be confident in this because we know that “Our Redeemer Lives.” Amen and Amen.