Thursday, May 9, 2013

Who Do I Belong To?


              Who do you belong to? This is a question that came into my heart yesterday, and I have been thinking and pondering on it ever since. We sang a song one night at a women’s fellowship that made me ask the question, “Who do you belong to?” I didn’t think much of the question and forgot about it until it came to me again yesterday. As I prayed this morning, these words grew up in my heart, “That which I love I spend my time and money on. That which I seek, I do run after. Seek the Lord while He may be found.” Loving something or someone and belonging to them goes hand in hand. I say I love the Lord, but do I belong to Him? Based on my activities lately, I would say that I love other things rather than my Lord Jesus. This pricked my heart this morning, and I knew that I was devoting my time and energy to worthless things.

                “Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way. Establish Your word to Your servant, who is devoted to fearing You.” Psalm 119:37-38
                To “turn away” means to remove, to lead away or to take away something. There are many things in my life right now that I need to remove and be led away from. What I spend my time and energy on is what I am devoted to. I want to be devoted to the Lord Jesus, I want to spend my days seeking Him, studying Him and growing closer to Him. I want to do the things He is asking of me, but more times than not I find myself looking at things that have no value, that lead me away from Him instead of towards Him. I find my eyes drawn to worthless things.
                The King James Version uses the word “vanity” instead of worthless things. The words are the same in meaning, and show us that anything that has no value, and is empty and useless we are to turn away from. We are to make our eyes look somewhere else. “The Psalmist understood that some things, comparatively speaking, are worthless things. They are of no value for eternity and little value for the present age. He prayed that God would empower and enable him to turn away his eyes and attention from such things.” (David Guziak) We also need to understand that the things we pay attention to, the direction in which our eyes take us, the more time we spend on these, the less time we spend with God.
                As I study these passages I find that I have many “worthless” things carrying my attention away from Christ and away from His purposes for me. They are worthless because they do me no good, the do not last, they hinder and not help, they do not strengthen or build my faith, they do not bring me hope or love, and most importantly, they distract me from the One that is truly worthy, these things are worthless because they have absolutely nothing to do with Jesus. But, I say that I am dedicated, that I am devoted to Jesus, that I belong to Jesus. If I say these things, than my actions, words and activities will reflect that devotion to Him, and right now, they do not.

                Charles Spurgeon stated that the Psalmist prayer “is not so much that the eyes may be shut as ‘turned away’; for we need to have them open, but directed to right objects.” My eyes of my flesh desire to look upon worthless things, yet the eyes of my heart desire to seek the Lord. The eyes of my flesh see the TV and the eyes of my heart see my Bible sitting on my desk. Who wins? It depends on where your devotion lies; it depends on whom you say you belong to. God is devoted to us, He is completely committed to us in everything, in every area of our lives, He has chosen us to be His special treasure, all He wants is our devotion and for us to turn away from worthless things and turn our eyes upon Him again.
                “For you are a holy people to the Lord your God, the Lord has chosen you to be a people for Himself; a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth.” (Deu. 7:6; 14:2) “…a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness and into His marvelous light.” (1 Peter 2:9) We are God’s treasure, we are His special children, when our eyes chase after worthless things, it hurts the heart of God. He devotes all He has to us, is it too much to ask that we devote the same to Him?
                There are so many things in our culture today that desires to turn our eyes away from the Lord God, yet God is calling out to us today to turn away from these worthless things and turn back to Him. Be devoted; be wholly committed to Him in every aspect and every area of your life. There is nothing wrong with watching TV or reading the latest NY Times Best Seller, there is nothing wrong with having fun and being you, but when those things become more important to us than the God who gave it all for you, then we need to turn back and turn away from the worthlessness of it all.
                I am reminded of an old Hymn by Helen H. Lemmel, “Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.” (1922)
We say we belong to the Lord Jesus, we say we love Him, we say we are dedicated and committed to Him, but we need to examine our hearts before the Lord today, and see the worthless things that have distracted our eyes and turned us away from being truly, completely and wholeheartedly dedicated to our Lord God.
                The Psalmist prays that the Lord God would establish His word to him, because he is devoted to God. Are we devoted to God? Do we seek God’s word to be established in us? Do we belong to the Lord or have we turned away to worthless things? I pray that you would seek the Lord this day that you would find a quiet place with Him and ask the Lord what worthless things you are chasing after instead of chasing after Him. Oh that we would turn our eyes upon Jesus today, and turn away from the worthless things in our lives and in our hearts that divide our love for Him. He is devoted to you, and you belong to Him, do your words, deeds and activities say as much?
                I have a lot of areas to work out in my life, as we all do, but the less time I spend with worthless things and the more time I spend with Jesus, the easier this clay will be to work in His hands. I pray the Lord Jesus Christ to open our eyes and see Him and that we would pray with the Psalmist today to turn our eyes from worthless things and to revive us once again to His glory and grace. In Jesus Name, amen and amen.