Tuesday, May 28, 2013

He's Got My Back

                I had to run out early this morning and take care of a few dogs for some friends of mine. As I was driving home, a song came on the radio that is still stuck in my head. The song is called, “You Lead” by Jamie Grace. (link to the song is at the end of this blog) The words that stuck out at me were “You got my back.” Do you believe that the Lord Jesus Christ has your back? As I pondered and prayed about these words the Lord spoke to my heart and said, “Confidence, a requirement of faith.”

                The Psalmist wrote, “Though an army may encamp against me; my heart shall not fear. Though war may rise against me; in this I will be confident.” (Psalm 27:3) What was the Psalmist confident in? He was confident that “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalm 27:1) He was confident that God had his back, no matter what. Do you believe that Christ has your back, no matter what?
                I listen to a lot of Christian women tell me about the fears that they have in regards to stepping out in faith. One of the things that holds them back is the question, “What if I mess up?” My response, “So what, God is still there, He is still leading and guiding and He has your back.” But it takes confidence to step out in faith, it takes confidence to follow the Lord’s leading. Not confidence in our abilities but in the Lord’s abilities. Faith requires confidence. To live a life of faith, we must be confident in the Lord Jesus Christ, and confident that He has your back.
                Confident means to believe and to trust. It also means to have strong belief or full assurance, having no uncertainty about one’s abilities. Being confident in Christ means that we believe, without wavering of His abilities to work in us and through us, no matter what, we believe and trust that He has our back. The synonyms for confident are certain and positive, are you certain and positive of God’s abilities? Has He ever failed you?

                Proverbs 3:26 tells us that “the Lord will be your confidence, and will keep your foot from being caught.” When we have confidence in Christ, we can step out in faith. Without confidence in Him and His ability, our fears will always hold us back. Whatever it is that the Lord is asking you to do, asking you to step out in faith and trust Him in, do it. Don’t let doubt and fear hold you back, because God is right behind you, He will keep your foot from being caught, and keep you from face planting on the pavement. God’s got your back.

                Paul tells us in Ephesians 3:12 that “we have boldness and access with confidence though faith in Him.” We are called to walk by faith and not by sight, but to do this, we must have full assurance of His ability and power in our lives. We let defeat and fear overtake us, when the Lord God is prodding us from behind, telling us to walk and trust, have confidence in Him. He says to us, “I've got your back, trust me, and step out in faith.” Do you believe in the power of Christ in your life? Has He not proven Himself to be faithful, to be present, and has He not always kept you from falling? So why then do we cower in fear and not step out in faith?

                We must be confident that “He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” (Phil. 1:6) Paul encourages us that we can be confident in His ability to work in us and through us. If we make a mistake or mess up, it’s okay- God’s got our backs. Besides, He already knew you were going to fall, He already knew you were going to mess up. He has already walked the path before you and paved the way. All He asks us to do is step out in confidence that He is with us and He has our back.
                Chuck Smith writes, “It was extremely significant that at the crucifixion of Jesus that the veil was torn from top to bottom…God was saying (to you, sister) through Jesus Christ you can all come. You have access to God.” The writer of Hebrews tells us that we are to “come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and help in the time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16) Boldly, with full assurance of the grace of God and the mercy of God to help us walk out this life of faith before Him. People call me a “Jesus Freak” and I take that as the highest compliment, because it is in Him that I find strength to press on, to boldly proclaim His love and grace to all that will listen. I am confident that He has my back.
                God wants us to come to Him in confident hope of His abilities to supply all our needs. He wants us to come to Him for everything, and He wants to lead us and guide us into all that He has planned for us. The chorus to the song, “You Lead” goes as follows:
You lead, I'll follow, Your hands hold my tomorrow, 
Your grip, Your grace, You know the way, 
You guide me tenderly, 
When you lead, I'll follow, 
Just light the way and I'll go, 
Cause I know what you got for me is more then I can see, 
So lead me on, on, on, on and on, 
Just lead me on, on, on and on,
                He holds your hand, He knows what tomorrow will bring, we are in His grip, we are in His grace, He does know the way in which we need to go. And, He has our back. We can have confidence, we can have full assurance and chase away the fears and the doubts that hold us back. We can walk a walk of faith, we can be all that He desires us to be, and we can have confidence in His ability and His power in our lives. Go ahead and step out in faith, God’s got your back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFmSzL2ppvg ("You Lead" Jamie Grace)