Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Seasons Change


            “To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven.” Ecclesiastes 3:1. As I read these words today, the events of the past few weeks came flooding back into my mind. I always thought I knew what my purpose in life was, I thought I understood the calling on my life and there was nothing that was going to stand in my way. But, the past few weeks have shown me that the only thing, the only person who has any control over that is my Father God. In my pride, (I must admit) I allowed my desires to become my purpose. But God had other plans for me, and it was through His sovereign grace and love for me that He has shown me that our purposes in life change, just as the seasons change.
                My husband and I have stepped down and stepped away from our church of many years. There was no right or wrong committed, but a working of the Power of God in our lives, in my life. I have served in Children’s Ministry for 10 years. There was a time when I fought that calling on my life, but God, in His wisdom, put me into the ministry. After years of service, however, the season began to change, and His purpose for me did as well. But, once again, in my pride I could not see the signs that were right in front of me. My life is changing, and the heart I once had for the children has changed, it’s still there, but not as it once was.
                Solomon, the writer of Ecclesiastes, tells us that there is a season and a purpose for everything. As I pondered on these words, I looked out my window and saw the signs of spring budding forth. The cherry blossom trees are budding and blooming, daffodils and day lilies are springing up from the ground everywhere I look. Winter is past and spring is here, not only in my surroundings, but in the garden of my heart as well. We all go through periods and seasons in our lives. We change with each passing day. My children are grown and moving on with their lives, my marriage is changing, my walk with the Lord is changing, so it is natural that the purpose I once had has changed as well.
                The Lord has brought to my remembrance the words He spoke to me not too many years ago. He has also been bringing to my remembrance the gentle nudges He gave to bring me to the place I am today. I didn't want to see it then, because I was too wrapped up in the purpose I thought I wanted more than anything. But He was still there, nudging and leading, guiding and shining His light on the new season that was springing forth in my heart.  Purpose is not who we are or what we do, purpose is the sovereign grace of God in our lives.
                He has a purpose and a plan for every living person on the face of this earth. Purpose means a setting forth, a placing in view. It is the reason for which something exists or is done, for the purpose of an intended or desired result. The Hebrew word for purpose is used for the showbread. It was placed in view for seven days, and then taken into the temple. We are His showbread. We have a purpose; we have been placed by God in view for His glory. For many years I fulfilled the purpose that God had for me, but I was not willing to accept that the purpose was changing. We have to be willing to see that purposes change, our purposes are for a season, and then they are replaced with new, just like the showbread in the temple. Who we were yesterday is not who we are today, and who we are today is not who God intends us to be.
                Recognizing God’s sovereign grace and love in our lives is the first step in fulfilling the purpose He has for you today. His sovereign will for your life is to love Him with all your heart, soul, mind and body. Your purpose, His intended use of you will change, just as the seasons change. I still have a heart to teach children, but not in the way I was. My heart’s desire now is what He has made it, not what my pride decided it needed to be. Nothing can get in the way of God’s sovereign grace in your life. Not even you. Nothing happens on this earth that God has not already seen, planned, purposed and worked out for His glory. We have to believe that, we have to accept that and we have to walk it. Every step you take God has pre-planned and pre-purposed. Ephesians 2:10 tells us that “we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God has prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”
                We do not know what the future will hold; only God, in His sovereign wisdom knows that. Solomon tells us that there is a season and a purpose for everything, even in the day to day monotony of life, God is still in control. We are His instruments, He is the composer. He has written the music for your life, and the notes are not the same. The music changes, but God is still in control. No matter what happens to us, no matter where we go or what we do, God has already prepared beforehand all that we will walk in. It is by His grace and mercy that we are able to recognize and rejoice in the work of His hands.
                You may be wondering what your purpose is, what are you supposed to be doing with your life right now?  There is nothing wrong with wanting to know the purpose God has for you right now, because He does have a purpose. You are an instrument in the orchestra of God, there is a part for you, but that part may change, or is changing, are you recognizing His leading or are you not willing to accept the notes written for you to play? Spring comes, winter fades, summer approaches and fall is not far behind. Your life comes and your life goes, but the beauty of it all is in the midst of the changing of the seasons, as one season fades and another season buds forth, we get to be a part of His sovereign grace. Embrace where you are now, and rejoice in the next season to come. For in His sovereign grace and love for you, He has a place for you in His orchestra of life.
                “To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven.” Amen and glory be to God the composer of our lives. Amen and Amen.