Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Overwhelmed...In Need of the Rock


               These past few days have been an ever flowing river of needs. Someone needs me for this, I need to get this done, I need to go there and get that done. I have found myself playing the juggling act again in this circus of life. I am spinning plate’s one right after another. I know that if I continue the way I am going, I am going to break one of the plates, and hurt myself. So, I found myself setting them all down and snuggling up to my Lord Jesus, because He is all that I need to bring balance back into my life.
                “Hear my cry, O God; attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You. When my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.” Psalm 61:1-2
                As I prayed and thought about the past few days, the Lord showed me I am overwhelmed again. The plates I am spinning are my plates, not the Lord’s plates. I have to admit it has been more than a few days since I have been able to sit down and read my bible, since I have been able to sit down and pray. It seems like everything has happened all at once, the floodgates have opened up and all I can do is keep swimming, otherwise I might drown. I look around at my house, the laundry piling up, and the schedule for the day and I once again become overwhelmed. So my heart cried out to the Lord this morning, it cried out for balance and peace amidst the raging waters which had overtaken me. I was and am exhausted.
                Overwhelmed is a word that many of us women seem to find ourselves floating in all too often. We take on more than we should; we allow other things to creep into our daily lives until we find that we are barely keeping our heads above water. But the Psalmist tells us that when we are overwhelmed, when we find ourselves sinking, we are to cry out to God and ask Him to lead us to the Rock that is higher than I.
                When I think about these words, I see myself swimming in a vast sea, the waves are coming up over my head, and the water around me is pulling me down; trying to take me under. I see a Rock up ahead, a place of refuge, and a place of safety. The more I try to swim towards it, the more tired and faint I become. I stop and I cry out for help, and the Lord takes me in His arms and places me on the Rock. We know that Rock to be Jesus Christ. He is our help, our refuge, our resting place. The waters have overwhelmed me these past few days, but my Lord was there to rescue me when I cried out to Him today.
                So how do I stop the flood waters from overtaking me? How do I get back to the balance I need in my life? First, I have to stop. I have to stop trying to get to the Rock and let Him come to me. I have to choose to put all the plates I am spinning down and sit before Him. Sometimes this means we cancel an appointment, we reschedule a meeting; we do whatever we have to do to make time for Him. Secondly, we need to lay down all our “to do’s” before Him and let Him prioritize our day. This is something that I have failed to do these past few days, and it has caused the waves to crash over me. When we allow Him to prioritize our day, the time that we think we don’t have will be redeemed and He will be faithful to give us the strength we need to accomplish all that is before us. He has done it before, why do we think He won’t again?
                We become overwhelmed with the “to do’s” of the day when we set the priorities and forget to include the Rock in them. No wonder why I felt like I was sinking, I was trying to swim against the current and juggle plates, all at the same time! He wants to lead us to the Rock that is above water, where the waves cannot reach us, but we have to be willing to let Him.
                Lastly, we need to make good use of the time that He has given us. He gives to each man and woman 24 hours. That is all we have. As I look back over the past few days, I see the wasted opportunities to sit in His presence, because I chose to do something else. I chose to stay up late one night and watch a TV program, knowing I had to be up earlier the next morning if I wanted to get any devotion time in. Yet, I ended up sleeping past my alarm and rushing out of my house like the Tasmanian devil. There were a few times where I could have been using the time He had given me more wisely, but I chose to do something that could have waited, and now, I am paying for the choices I made.
                We all get overwhelmed, we all find ourselves barely keeping our heads above water. When we find ourselves in this position, we need to stop, and cry out to the Lord Jesus. Nothing is so important that you have to get it done. The only life or death situation that is hanging in the balance is your spiritual life with Christ. Overwhelmed, exhausted and in need of the Rock that is higher than us all- when you find yourself there- stop what you are doing and cry out to the One who will lead you to safety and rest. Trust me when I tell you that sacrificing your time with the Lord to do other things, to fulfill other obligations will only make you have to swim harder, and eventually, you will drown. Call out to the Rock that is higher than you are and let Him lead you to the place of rest. In Jesus Name, Amen.