Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Our Anti-Virus Program


              This morning my email got hacked. I don’t know how it happened, but it happened. Immediately I started my anti-virus program and told it to scan for anything that was not supposed to be there. As I sat there, watching this program scan my whole computer, I thought about my heart. Just like this program needed to get into every area of my computer to check for viruses, so also does the Lord God need access to every area of my heart.
                Everyday we are faced with the temptation to sin. The battle for our hearts and minds rages before us. The Holy Spirit is the Anti-Virus program that the Lord wants to run in our hearts. He is installed into our hearts so that He can ward off any viruses that try to attack us, that try to attach themselves to us. However, sometimes, the viruses of sin hack into our hearts and we don’t even realize it until we allow Him to run the scan.
                “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me. And lead me in the way everlasting.” Psalm 139:23-24
                Today, I realized that I had let the virus of sin hack my heart. I had let the virus of pride and jealousy open a file and begin to take residence. As the Lord God scanned my heart this morning, He found more viruses and showed them to me.
                I have allowed distractions to come into my heart and take over the daily program He had already planned for me. I have allowed a word spoken to me hurt me and have began to build up a fire wall to protect my heart, so many things in my heart today that He needs to dispose of. Yet, here I sit, pondering on how He could still love me, when all that junk has attached to my heart. But He does love me, and just like my anti-virus program for my computer is designed to take away the harmful stuff; His Holy Spirit wants to clean me up and restore me back to where I belong in Him.
                But to do this, I first have to accept and confess these sins that are in my heart. I have to allow Him to scan me, quarantine these sins and place them at His feet of forgiveness. I let these viruses come into my heart of my own free will- I allowed them to hack into my heart. Isaiah 1:16 tells us that we are to wash ourselves and put away the sins of our hearts from before the Lord God.
                The Lord knows my heart better than I do. He sees my sins, He sees the thoughts and intents of my heart, and He only wants me to come before Him, confess and repent of what I have allowed to enter my life. I know that these sin viruses will feed upon my heart until they destroy me. We have to let these sins of our heart go and we have to allow Him to scan our hearts daily for any virus that has hacked our hearts, we must lay these at His feet and allow His grace and forgiveness wash over us.
                Daily I need His grace, daily I need the Holy Spirit to scan the very depths of my heart. When David cried out to the Lord in Psalm 139, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties: And see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” David knew how desperately He needed the Lord to scan his heart, to search him for any way that was not of God.
                The Lord God knows us better than we know ourselves. He has been telling me now for the past few days that these sins are in my heart. But, I have allowed them to stay there. I have seen the sin, I have seen the affect it is having on our relationship, but I was not quite ready to let Him have the full scan, until today. Today, I am humbled by His mercy, I am humbled by His grace and I am before Him asking Him to scan my heart for viruses, and to restore this heart of mine to His full control.
                Just like a virus will attach itself to your computer and you will lose control of it, sin also attaches itself to our hearts and begins to take control of our lives. The Lord God only wants to protect us and keep us from the harm that the virus of sin seeks to do to us. Daily we are to seek the Lord, just as David cried out to be searched by God, may our hearts cry out for the same. The Holy Spirit is our anti-virus program; allow Him access to every area of your life. He will scan the very depths of your heart, quarantine the virus of sin, and restore you in Jesus Christ, forever and ever. Amen.