Friday, February 8, 2013

Is Anything Too Impossible For God?


            Is anything too impossible for God? I found myself asking this question this morning. My husband and I are going through a transition period in our life. We are moving from one house to another, not only are we downsizing, but our son is moving out as well. Yesterday I found a house that seemed too good to be true. As I pulled up to the home, out walks a fellow sister in the Lord, whom we have known for quite some time. It is her house that we were considering and didn't even know it. Not only that, but I had just previously looked at a house that would have suited us just fine, but my Realtor had scheduled the appointment already so we went. (I was going to back out of the appointment- but I didn't; not sure why, just didn't think I should)
When I walked up, she and I laughed and hugged and were very excited to see each other and, believe it or not- the house was perfect. Excited, I called my husband and my son about it because on the property is a house that is perfect for my son, close enough to us in case he needs anything, but yet giving him the freedom we want him to have. It seemed too good to be true. My husband and I discussed it; we talked with the kids about it and decided that this was the house for us. It was an answer to all our prayers. However, I found myself up early this morning, doubting.
                I began to think about all the things that could go wrong. I talked with my sister in the Lord who owns the house, and they were excited that we wanted it, but there seemed to be this doubt creeping into my heart and my head as I sat down to pray to the Lord this morning. A ton of “what if’s” began creeping in, as they came, I began to pray more and more. I wanted to have confidence in the Lord that this was His doing, because the events seemed to fall into place and seemed to have His hands all over it. But still, doubt came creeping in.
                Much like Peter, I began by walking on the water of faith, but all too soon, I found myself sinking in the storm tossed waves of doubt instead. The Lord began to chastise me for my wavering faith and for my doubting, but then He began to teach me the need for faith, and how to cast away the doubt that was trying to pull me under.  (Note-The Lord chastises us not to harm us but to correct our path and keep us focused on Him, which I desperately needed this morning.)  Just like Peter, I was willing to step out in faith but the moment the doubt crept in, the waves began to toss over me and I began to sink. My only hope was to cry out to the Lord Jesus to “Help me!” And He did.
                “Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, ‘It is a ghost!’ and they cried out for fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.’ And Peter answered Him and said, ‘Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.’ So He said, ‘Come.’ And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried out, saying, ‘Lord, save me!’ And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him and said to him, ‘O you of little faith, why did you doubt?’” Matthew 14:24-31 (Italics mine)
                “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” words that I pricked my heart this morning, and caused me to reach out to Jesus, who was waiting to catch me. Doubt is something that creeps into us, it quietly begins to take over our thoughts, and if we are not wise to it, then we will sink-just like Peter. Peter began by walking on the water, but step by step the doubt began to creep in, to swell up around him and he began to focus on the circumstances instead of Jesus. Doubt will always take us to a place of fear and worry. When we begin to hear ourselves say the “what if’s” then we are headed down to the bottom of the ocean into the darkness of doubt.
                Doubt is defined as standing in two ways; it implies an uncertainty of which way to take, like being on a boat and being tossed up and down, side to side. Peter wanted to go to Jesus, he wanted to walk on water, and he did, but he became uncertain of what was right in front of him- Jesus Christ. Doubt is a lack of trust in God. It leads us to question God’s ability and willingness to help us. Doubt leads us to question the promises of God. Doubt is not good, and it is not of God.
                Jesus tells us that if we ask in faith and do not doubt than whatever we ask for will come to pass. (Matt. 21:21-22, 17:20; Mark 11:23-24) This is not a free license to “name it, claim it, grab it, and blab it” but Jesus is telling us that if we come to Him in prayer and request in faith then He will do all that He has set out to do for us. When we stand on His promises and do not waver because of doubt than “whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” (Matthew 21:22)
                Doubt causes us to look at our situation rather than to God’s power that has kept us, sustained us, delivered us, and protected us. Faith in God should bring the power and authority of God into our prayer lives and chase away the doubts and the “what ifs” that creep in unawares. As we read God’s Word, we are given promises; promises of His provision, His protection, His love, His grace, His forgiveness, and so on. (Too numerous to count!) Doubt tells our hearts that God is not able to perform that which He has promised us. Doubt tells us that God is not God Almighty, but a god of maybe. But God is a God who can take our impossibilities and make them into realities. Look around you, look at all that you have, all that you have been given and let the doubts be chased away by faith in God, who is the Almighty, the God of endless possibilities and promises, forever and ever.
                I realized today that anytime the words “what if” or “what about” or “maybe this could happen, maybe that could happen” start creeping into my heart, I am wavering, I am being  tossed to and fro upon the stormy sea of doubt and my only hope is to cry out to Jesus for help. When these thoughts come creeping in, instead of sinking into them, we are to remember the words of Jesus Christ, “whatever things you ask” and trust that He will keep His promises. God is able to do the impossible, He already has, and He always will do whatever He says, He never breaks a promise. Our part is to believe that He is God and has the Authority to accomplish in us, and for us, and through us all that He has promised He will. (Ephesians 2:10)
                Do not doubt, because doubt leads to fear and fear is the cement block that will sink you to the very depths of the sea. Have faith in God and in His word. Ask yourself, “Is anything too impossible for God?” When doubt creeps in, call out to Jesus, and He will save you. And whatever you ask for in prayer, He will accomplish for He has your good always in His plans. (Jer. 29:11; Romans 8:28) Instead of allowing doubt to tell us “what if” let us all proclaim in faith, “Who is!” To Him be the glory and the power and the authority now and forever, Amen and Amen.