Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Distractions in the Driver's Seat


               Distraction is a trap that many of us women fall into. We are distracted with many things, many needs, responsibilities, desires and dreams. Martha was distracted with making sure that Jesus was welcomed into her home, that all was in order so that her Lord would enjoy His time with her. But, Jesus looked at Martha and saw a woman “worried and troubled about many things”. He saw Mary as the woman who had chosen that which was good; Mary was a woman at peace. He did not love Mary more and Martha less, He loved them the same. He wanted what was best for Martha, and He knew that what she needed most was Him.
                “Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, ‘Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore, tell her to help me.’ And Jesus answered and said to her, ‘Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.’” Luke 10: 38-42
                This passage of scripture has been taught and preached to each of us so many times. There are books, blogs, writings, and all manner of teachings brought to the attention of us woman time and time again. But, no matter how much we read and study it, we still have the same issues. We still find ourselves doing and serving, filling our time with things that are not needful. We pack our schedules so full of “to-do’s” that we forget to do the one thing that Jesus wants us “to-do”.
                Last week was a constant “on the go” for me. I was running here and there and everywhere. I found my days to be filled with many things, needs of my family, friends, church; sisters and brothers in the Lord, as well as being there for a friend of mine during a trial, was present every moment of the day. My poor phone was blowing up! Friday morning I woke up and I was sick. I felt like I had been run over by a semi-truck, and I heard the Lord say to me in His still small voice, “He makes me lie down in green pastures.” I knew that He was telling me I needed to slow down and rest, but the demands of the weekend only increased. Sunday morning, I was so sick I could not go to church; all I could do was stay in bed and sleep. I had become distracted with all my serving, and worn myself down from all the demands I had placed upon myself. And the Lord, in His mercy, made me slow down, He made me lie down.
                Distraction can be defined as something that draws us away. It can also mean to be driven about mentally. We allow distractions to take the driver’s seat of our minds and let these distractions take us down roads the Lord never wanted us to go down. For me, lately, it has been opportunities to increase our income. Financial times are tough on all of us, and I have been praying for the Lord’s provision. I have had many opportunities present themselves, but, instead of seeking the Lord’s wisdom in regards to these, I have jumped on their band-wagon and am being driven about here and there and everywhere. I am finding myself distracted from the one thing I need most- Jesus.
                I know what the Lord wants me to do; He has given me clear instructions and clear directions. But, I see the opportunities and instead of seeking His will, I take them on without even thinking about what it is He wants. This has led me to where I am today, tired, and overworked. The time that I need to spend on the priorities He has given me is nowhere to be found, because I have filled those spots with something else. Instead of allowing Him to lead my days, I have jumped in the driver seat and taken the wheel from Him.
                When we find ourselves distracted, being pulled in many different directions, we must stop at the nearest rest stop and re-think our priorities. The choices we have to make every day in regards to our time and our walk with Jesus needs to be based on His will and not our own. I have a magnet on my refrigerator that says, “Lord what would You have me to do today?” I know what He has told me to do, I know that the opportunities presenting themselves to me are good, but are they what He wants for me? Just like Martha, I find myself worrying and being troubled about all these opportunities that have come upon me. But, only one thing is needed in the decision that I have to make- and that is Jesus. The choices that I have before me, the opportunities that have presented themselves are all possibilities, but what does the Lord want me to do?
I have to consider my priorities, and make my choices based on the eternal and not on the immediate needs and pressures around me. I have to let go of all that I have been doing, and just sit and listen to what He wants me to do. I have written and spoke many times on the need to sit at His feet before we do or go anywhere, and that time is never wasted. Too many of us women become distracted with opportunities to serve, to do, to be, when all that we really need to do is just sit and rest at His feet. Allowing His will and His word show us what He has planned for us today.
Distractions come upon us; they draw us here and there and everywhere. When we allow distractions to take the driver’s seat of our minds, we will become stressed, worried and troubled about many things, just like Martha. We all have a little bit of Martha in us, and we all have a little bit of Mary too. We choose which one we will be each day. Mary let the Lord lead her day; Martha let the distractions and needs of the day drive her down the road of worry and anxiety, and like me- total exhaustion. The choices I have before me are many, and the roads vary in directions. But, I know what He has told me to do, I know what He has promised, and He will help me take the right path. But I have to let Him take the wheel from my hands, and let Him chase away the distractions that are before me. When I do, everything else will fall into place, and the need for Him in my life will be fulfilled. I will begin to have that balance back in my life once again, and the priorities of my day guided and led by Him.  
I am distracted about many things, but one thing is needful today, and that is none other than Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. Do not allow distractions to take you where He does not want you to go. But, lay down before Him all that is on your schedule for the day and let Him prioritize and let Him guide and lead. Balance and peace will follow, and you will be blessed and given the needed rest that sitting at His feet brings. Amen and Amen.