Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Spoons


           Have you ever prayed for something and then when you received it, you were filled with so much joy that you had to tell someone? That actually happened to me not to long ago. Some of you may think this is silly, but for me, it was a moment in time that proved to me even more fully the faithfulness of God in His promise to me. Throughout my walk with the Lord, I have experienced His faithfulness towards me in so many ways. But this one time, in particular, will remain in my memory forever.
My husband and I were having some financial difficulties, the Lord was providing, of that there was no doubt, but there were things we needed, not really anything major, but little things. I sat down to pray one morning, asking for His provision and started to list off all the little things that we were in need of. (For those of you who have children, you will completely understand this prayer request!) I began writing a list of things the things we needed, none of these things were causing us not to live fully, they were just things that we needed for the house and never seemed to have the extra cash to purchase them.  I wrote down my list and towards the bottom I wrote, spoons. Our spoons seem to disappear in this family. I do not know where they go; they leave the silverware drawer and never come back. I didn't think much of my prayer list; I was just being obedient and laying our needs before the Lord, as He had told me to do, and left it at that.
A few days, may have been a week or so, I get a phone call from a sister in the Lord and she tells me about a friend of hers that is moving and getting rid of stuff. Me being in Children’s Ministry, I never turn down the opportunity to get free craft supplies! I told her to box up what she had and I would go through it, what I couldn't use, I would find someone who could. (Spread the wealth, if you know what I mean) That Sunday, she hands a bunch of stuff to my husband, and lo and behold- it was full of spoons! Spoons and forks and knives, all of which we needed, but all I had prayed for was spoons! I looked at my husband with tears in my eyes and said, “I prayed for spoons!” Not only did the Lord God bless me with a bunch of spoons, but He went one step further and blessed me with a whole new set of silverware, spoons included!
Never in a million years would I have imagined that a simple request for spoons would have proven to me once again the faithfulness of God. But He did promise in Philippians 4:19 to provide all my needs according to His riches, and we know He is the richest of all, because He created all, and all is His. Spoons, simple spoons that we use every day, God used to teach me a great lesson- His faithfulness to me is unending. My joy was so full I had to tell someone, and I did. They too saw the faithfulness of God through this experience and their faith was strengthened as well.  Together, we rejoiced and laughed in the faithfulness of God.
Sarah felt the same exhilaration of the Lord’s faithfulness to her. In Genesis 21:1 we read that “the Lord visited Sarah as He had said, and the Lord did for Sarah as He had spoken.” Sarah was given a promise by God that He would give her a child, and He did. And what was her response to the Lord’s promise being fulfilled, the same as mine was, “And Sarah said, ‘God has made me laugh, and all who hear will laugh with me.’” Sarah and I both experienced the joy of God’s faithfulness towards us. We can all experience that same joy, all we have to do is remember the Lord’s faithfulness toward us.
The joy that we feel when we experience and meditate on the faithfulness of God will overflow from us into the hearts of others. We will tell of the promises of God made complete in us and the joy that we experience will strengthen the hearts of those who hear- we will all rejoice and laugh together in the presence of God, when we acknowledge His faithfulness toward us. We have so many reasons to be filled with joy and rejoicing when we think upon the faithfulness of God. Just take a walk outside and the faithfulness of God will be seen. His faithfulness toward us is seen in the rising of the sun, the changing of the seasons, throughout creation His faithfulness has been clearly seen, we just have to be willing to look for it. Psalm 89 tells us that we should tell others about His faithfulness, and it will bring joy to the hearer and they will be strengthened because of it.
The faithfulness of God toward us is never ending, it will never fail, He promises to always keep His word to us. Faithfulness “implies qualities of stability, dependability and devotion.” (Dictionary.com) The Lord shows us through His faithfulness that we can depend on Him, that we can rely upon Him and He shows us His devotion toward us, in that He who has promised will complete it. David Hocking writes that the faithfulness of God “means that you can count on God when you cannot count on anybody else. Our confidence is in the living God who is always faithful to us. We can depend on God to keep His word…” There is never a word, or a promise of God in the Bible that He will not be faithful to keep. He will always do what He says and mean what He says, on Him we can depend.
When He gave me the promise in Philippians 4:19 to supply all our needs, I believed Him, but I could have never imagined how deep His devotion and faithfulness to His word meant until I received the spoons. We will always be disappointed when we depend on man, but we will never be disappointed when we depend on God, because His faithfulness toward us is everlasting, and He will always keep His promises to us. On His word we can depend.
Father God, may we take some time today to ponder on Your faithfulness toward us. May the faithfulness of Your word overflow in our hearts with Joy, may we say like Sarah did, “God has made me laugh, and all who hear will laugh with me.” Let us speak of Your faithfulness, and when we are down or going through trials, may we remember to look at the creation around us and declare Your faithfulness toward us, for in You and through You and for You alone be all the glory forever and ever. In You we do put our trust. In Jesus’ Name, amen and amen.