Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Still Fighting


I am an emotional roller coaster lately. I am up and down; my thoughts are all over the place lately. I know that my hormones are wacky, and the doc and I are working on them, but I also know that my emotions should not control me the way that they do. The only power I should be under is the power of the Holy Spirit, yet my emotions are like a wall that I can’t seem to get past. I struggle and struggle with them every day. My question today was how do I get the victory over these emotions? How can I stop them from having the control? The answer I received was found in these scriptures….
                “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,” 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
                I walk in the flesh, but I do not live in the flesh. The Spirit inside me is in constant battle with my flesh. But, I have hope- Jesus Christ has already obtained the victory for me. This flesh, the lusts, desires and wants of my flesh have no power over me anymore because I belong to Jesus Christ. The strongholds I am warring against are strongholds- not the actual war. The battle is won, victory was claimed when Jesus Christ died upon the cross for me- but the war is still going on. Jon Courson wrote in his commentary that during WWII D-day was the day that the war was won, Hitler knew he had lost, but he continued to fight the allied forces anyway. D-Day marked the day of victory, the battle was over, it was only a matter of time before the enemy fell and the fighting would end. Jesus Christ has won the victory, D-Day (Deliverance Day for me) was nailed to a cross, but the enemy is still fighting.
                My emotions have a tendency to take over my thoughts. One minute I am singing praise and worship songs, the next minute I am angry over something that my husband failed to do three weeks ago. On and on I replay the scene in my mind, and my thoughts turn to unholy thoughts, thoughts of anger, frustration, despair, and I end up taking it out on whoever gets in my way. Sometimes I don’t even realize that I am in an emotional state, and I snap at my husband or my kids for no reason. It is not until the Holy Spirit convicts me of my heart attitude that I realize what I did or said. And once it is said, it is out there, I cannot take back my words.
                How do I control these emotions? How do I bring these strongholds to the Lord and have the victory that He has won for me?  I must proclaim the victory. “If we want to see the strongholds that keep us from experiencing God’s blessing and promises brought down, then the first thing we must understand is that they will be pulled down by audibly proclaiming victory. God knows the power of the citadel that threatens you. Therefore, He doesn’t ask you to deny its reality. Rather, He asks you to proclaim aloud the victory.” (Jon Courson, New Testament Commentary)
                “Proclaim ye this among the Gentiles; Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them come up; beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak say, I am strong.” Joel 3:9-10
                We have victory, it is in our mouths, it is in our lips- but we choose to claim defeat instead of victory. I say, “I can’t” instead of “In Christ I can”. When are in a war, and we need to wake up and speak the victory over the strongholds in our lives. When I allow my thoughts to rule my heart, I have allowed the stronghold to have the victory and not the Holy Spirit. I am not saying that we “name it, claim it”, but there is a point when we have to face the fact that our negative words, thoughts and attitudes determine the outcome of the battle before us. If I begin to get angry at my husband for some reason or other, and I begin to allow those thoughts to dwell for any length of time in my head, what happens? I end up unleashing a fury towards him that not only catches him off guard, but hurts him as well. Is that really the behavior the Lord wants me to have? No, it is not. So what should I do then, when the strongholds of my emotions come up and the mere presence of my husband annoys me? I need to step away from the situation, I need to go and find a quiet place where I can claim the victory over my thoughts and my emotions. I need to claim the promises of God and not allow my thoughts to have their way in my heart. And I need to speak it out loud. I need to hear it, accept it, lay it down and give God the victory right then and there. Give Him the control, and He will give you the victory.
                We have little battles being waged in us, around us and before us every day. We are in a war, we are soldiers fighting a fight that has already been won, but we must keep fighting. We must not give up or give in, no matter how strong the desire to do so is. Once we give in and give up, the strongholds will take over and we will have to start all over again. I have purposed in my heart to give the Lord all that I am and all that I have. Is it easy? No, it is the most difficult thing that I have ever done in my life, some days it makes no sense to keep doing it, but I know that in the end, the Lord God will have the victory, and I will stand before Him and proclaim that He has won the war, He has captured my heart, my life, my soul, my strongholds and in Him I have victory.
                Whatever the strongholds in your life are, whether they are your emotions, habits the Lord is trying to free you from, starting a diet, trying to lose weight, whatever they are- proclaim the victory that you have in Christ Jesus and keep pressing forward. Be purposed in your heart to fight the fight of faith and speak the promises of God. Do not give in, and do not give up. Onward Christian Soldier, onward we march to the Promised Land of peace and rest and which Jesus Christ, our Commander and Chief has prepared for us, and with Him we shall have victory, forever and ever, Amen!