Wednesday, November 21, 2012

God's Goggles


              Have you ever had someone tell you it’s all about the way you look at it? You can either look at the glass half empty or you can look at it half full. I have had people tell me that I am an optimist, and I always see the positive before I see the negative. And I am beginning to think that is the way the Lord sees as well. Our God is an optimist. I have made some unwise choices this past week; I have “fell off the wagon” so to speak in regards to my healthy living choices. This morning I got really down on myself, and had to come before the Lord and ask for forgiveness and help. The answer I received was Psalm 118:24.
                “This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it.”  
                David is writing to the children of Israel and telling them of all the wonderful things that God has done for them. He begins the Psalm with “Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! His mercy endures forever.”  He goes on to sing praise to God for His salvation and deliverance. Psalm 118 is recited during the Passover feast, the celebration of God’s deliverance to His people, and verse 26 was recited by the people as Jesus rode into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. (Matthew 21) It is a reminder to us of all the goodness, mercy and deliverance we have received from God our Father.
                But what does all this have to do with my perception, with the way I look at things? Well, let me try to explain. I can either choose to look at a situation with despair or I can choose to look at a situation, rejoice in the fact that I have a God who delivers me, loves me, and gives me grace to get through it. The choice is always ours. God does not look at us with eyes of disappointment, He looks at all He has created and He says, “It is good.” (Read the story of Creation- Genesis 1-3) Never once has God our Father looked at us and said, “I made a mistake, I should have never created you.” He always looks at us and says, “I love you with an everlasting love. I have created you, and I adore you. You are good.”
                To perceive means to understand and perception is how we act on what we just took into our brains. I won’t get into the specifics, but perception affects our hearts and it affects our emotions. How we see is how we will react. Now, we know that we are to walk by faith and not by sight- that we are to react in faith and not in feeling. My feelings, my emotions will always lead me down a path of despair because my emotions are tainted by my sin nature. But faith, faith is pure, and it is a gift of God. If you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, if you have accepted Him into your heart, then you have faith. We are to choose faith and not choose feelings.
                God spoke to His children and said, “...choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...” (Joshua 24:15) We have a choice every day to either choose God our Father or our own emotions. Psalm 118:24 says “This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it.” We will choose to rejoice, we will choose to be glad in the Lord God, for He has made this day for us. Our attitude for our day begins in our hearts. We choose to be glad or we choose to be sad. We choose to see a situation, a life event, a trial through our goggles of emotions or our goggles of faith.
                God looks at us through His goggles of faith and says, “It is good.” He rejoices over us, He sings over us, He died to show us how much He loves us. It is our choice how we respond and react to any given situation. When I respond through my goggles of emotions I will end up in despair. But if I take the goggles of faith and see as God sees, then I will see the day that the Lord God has given me as good, and full of joyful hope. I choose the outcome of my day with the attitude I choose to take on.
                The “day” that is referred to in Psalm 118:24 is defined as a period of time. It is not necessarily a 24 hour period, but a period of time, from one minute to one year. There are moments when my emotions take over and I begin to look through the goggles of negative thoughts instead of the goggles of faith. I choose to allow the trial and then my emotions to take over, when the Lord is trying to give me His goggles and see as He sees. There are days and weeks where it seems like I am surrounded by the waves of despair, frustration, anger, and hurt, but God is still saying to me, “This is the day that I have made, rejoice and be glad in it.” He has made this moment in time specifically for you.
                It is easier said than done when you are walking through a trial or going through the fire, but God sees ahead, He sees the end from the beginning and He looks upon our troubles and says, “It is good, it is well with you, for I am with you.” We too can take the goggles of faith and say, “It is good, it is well with my soul for my God is with me.” When I wake up in the morning, and my day of busyness is looming over my head, I can choose the stress or I can choose to say, “This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it,” moment by moment.
                The choice is ours, and it begins the moment we wake up. The day that we are faced with was designed and created by God our Father to have joy and peace in Him. He made this day, this moment of time for you to seek Him out and dance and sing before His presence. We have so much to rejoice in; we have been given so much. We can choose to see the negative of the situation and give into the emotional tidal wave that is taking over, or we can choose to say “This is the day, the moment, the minute that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.” The choice is always ours. He has given us the goggles of faith, and they see joy and hope and peace, and all the good things the Lord has prepared for us- we just have to choose to wear them.
                Father God, let us take off our goggles of emotions and put on Your goggles of faith, may we see as You see, may we come before You with praise and thanksgiving for all the wonderful things You have given us, that You have done for us. Oh, this is the day that You have made, We will rejoice and be glad in it. To You alone Lord Jesus Christ be glory forever and ever. Amen and Amen.