Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 6- Still Glorifying


               My Ten Day challenge is still going on, and I am pleased to tell you that it is getting easier to make the healthier choices. I only had one cup of coffee yesterday, and drank water instead. I had a great night’s sleep and didn't have to get up and go to the restroom at 3:00 a.m. But my journey is still ongoing and I am learning much. I am beginning to see that not only was Daniel determined to glorify God in every aspect of his life, but he understood the blessings of glorifying God in everything, even in his food. As I continue into day 6, I am reminded of a passage of scripture in Colossians 1:15-18.
                “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers, all things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.” (Colossians 1:15-18)
                When we determine to live for God in every area of our lives, like Daniel did, we have to come to a point of complete submission to God and realize that there is nothing made that He did not create, that there is nothing in existence that He did allow to exist or create Himself. And the fact of the matter is that it is all His and it is all for Him, nothing is for us. Our purpose in life is to glorify God in all that we say, think or do; in how we live and move. Acts 17:24-25 says, “God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temple made with hands. Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath and all things.”
                There is nothing we have that we have not been given, our homes, families, church brothers and sisters, cars, jobs, even the very breath that we breathe has been given to us by God our Father for this day. The verses in Colossians remind me that to live for Christ is the will of God for me. I have been created to glorify God, I have been given this day to live for Christ, and I have been given this day to show forth the goodness of God to the world around me. It is my choice whether I live it for Him or live it for myself.
                Jon Courson writes in his New Testament Commentary regarding Colossians 1:16, “This is the secret to life, Jesus is not the created one, He is the Creator. ‘This is the day the Lord hath made,’- what does it mean? It means this day is made for Him and the only way it will work is if I live for Him because, in so doing, I will be fulfilling the only reason I was created….People say, ‘I am going to fly high and live for myself’, but they crash and burn because they weren't made for any other purpose than to glorify God. All things were made by and for the Firstborn, the Preeminent One, Jesus Christ.” We have a choice to make every day, we can either live for God or we can live for ourselves.
                As I continue down this Ten Day Challenge I am amazed at how the more I give to Him, the more He pours into me. The more I choose and purpose in my heart to follow Him, to live for Him, to fulfill the purpose I was created for, the easier it is to glorify Him in everything. I have a long ways to go yet, and I have four days left of this challenge, but I am purposed in my heart to live for Him. I desire to choose each and every day to make this day a day that brings glory and honor and praise to His name, not for my sake, but for the sake of my Lord Jesus Christ, who holds my very breath in His hands.
                Pastor Chuck Smith writes, “You were made for His good pleasure and purpose. People don’t like that sometimes. They rebel against that which He has given you the capacity to do. Because, when He created you, He created you with freewill or a choice. You were created in His image, and God is a self-determinate being, and thus He created you, self-determinate, the power of choice. And that was necessary, in order that He might have meaningful relationship with you.” God created us, He holds us together, our beings, our very breath, our heartbeats are in His hands, but yet He says to you, “You have a choice, child. I give you a choice to live for me wholly and completely or live for yourself.” He says this not to confuse us but to make us see the value in the relationship that we have been given with Him.
                If God made us as robots, what kind of relationship would we have? He would say love, we would love, He would say jump, and we would jump. But God desires a close, intimate relationship with each of us, and He desires it greatly. There is nothing that He created that was not for our benefit, to draw us into closer fellowship with Him. Acts 17:26-28 states, “And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and had determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our beings…” He desires for us to choose today to live for Him in every area of our lives, to give glory to Him, who holds us in the palm of His hands. May we, today, choose to live for Him and choose to give Him all the glory, “for in Him we live and move and have our beings.” To Him be honor and praise and glory, forever and ever. Amen.