Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Help Me Answer This Question, Please?


               It has been a while since I posted on this blog, mainly because I have been so busy lately that taking five minutes to write on my blog is near impossible. Which leads me to my question, and hopefully those of you that read this can help me figure something out. I am opening this blog up to you today to give me your feedback on what the following verse means to you. I have an idea, but want to hear what you have to say.
                “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.” Romans 12:1
                Last night at our women’s study, we sang a song that had the words, “living sacrifice”, in the midst of them. The words stuck to me. As the night time closed in and I drifted off to sleep, the words “living sacrifice” were still with me. The dawn broke and my tired body awoke to these same words. So what do they mean? That is what I am hoping we can discover together today.
                First of all, Paul says that we are to “present our bodies”. To present means to bring, to lead and to yield. My body is not my own. Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 6:19 that we are not our own, that our bodies belong to God. We are His temple; He lives in us and dwells in us. We were bought with a price too; so therefore, we no longer own anything or have anything in and of ourselves, including our bodies. Knowing this then, what exactly are we to do?
                We are to present, to bring to God our yielded lives for His use and His purpose. Paul tells us, actually he begs us (beseech) to make our lives a sacrifice to God. Paul says that we are to be living sacrifices. To me, personally, I have a struggle with this. I desire to serve God in this way, to be a living sacrifice, which means to be in continual service to Him. But what if I get worn out, and I get tired of serving all the time, have I then decided to not be a living sacrifice, or is that just normal to get wore out?
                I recently sent an email to my fellow servants in the children’s ministry at our church. All of us were feeling the effect of lack of servants, and the amount of time they have been serving in the ministry has become somewhat wearisome. Some of them were pulling double duty, serving two services, picking up extra days and it seemed like the more they served, the more I asked them to serve. Less and less people were stepping up to help us out, and we were all beginning to lose heart. The Lord gave me a verse in Galatians 6, that says, “And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.”
                As I pondered on this verse, I was energized again to serve the Lord with all my heart. But is there a point where we serve too much? Is there a point when we are serving too much and not taking time to rest? For instance, when our “Sabbath” is just a few hours on Sunday afternoon watching football and maybe a Saturday afternoon for a few hours on the couch? This is my dilemma. This is where I am asking for help in determining what the Lord could be saying to us through His word of “living sacrifice”.
                We want to be used by God, we pray that He will use us, and that we will become a living sacrifice, a continual offering to God allowing Him to have full reign of our bodies, souls and spirits. We pray that He would use us mightily, yet when the time comes and we begin to get “wore out from pouring out” we grumble and complain that someone else needs to step up. But isn’t that what the Lord is asking us? Is He not saying to us, “Serve me with all your heart, soul and mind?” I do believe that we must take time to rest and be refreshed, that we must take time and find balance in our lives. No service to the Lord should ever take us away from the personal time we have with Him, but should we not be willing to offer ourselves to Him in every way possible? If it is within our means to help and to meet the needs of those He places in our lives, should we not be willing to step up and do it?  
                There are many ways to look at this scripture, and I am hoping that you all take some time today and read and meditate on what exactly the Lord is asking of us. For me, personally, this scripture tells me that I am to lay down everything, all the time, and do whatever it is He is asking of me, even when I get tired and wore out. He reminds me of Jesus and how there were times where He did not rest; He kept going, He kept teaching, He kept serving the people and their needs. I am not Jesus, nor will I ever be, but is it right to put limits on serving the Lord?
                If the Lord God is begging me, through Paul, to make my body a living sacrifice to Him, then should I not do it? Should I not be willing to press through the tiredness and the weariness and keep serving Him? Does He not deserve at least that much from me after all that He has done for me and continues to do for me? These are questions that I have today, as I ponder and read His word to me. Please, let me know what you think the Lord is speaking, because I need some help. My desire is to serve Him with all my heart, with all my soul, with all my mind, and with all my strength. I never want to get to a point where I can no longer do this, because for me, it is reasonable of Him to ask it of me, and it is reasonable for me to do it.
                I welcome your comments, opinions and truths that the Lord God gives you today.
May I always be a living sacrifice to You, oh Lord, it is my reasonable service. Amen and Amen.