Monday, September 17, 2012

The Cure for Worry


              I finished the book I was reading by Catherine Marshall last night. One of her final entries in her journal before the Lord took her home was, “Keep your eyes on Me.” She had been talking to the Lord about areas of her life that she knew were not completely on board with Jesus yet, and His answer to her was, “Keep your eyes on Me.” Those words were still in my heart and my head this morning as I woke up to another day with the Lord.
                As I was talking with the Lord this morning, a scripture passage game into my heart. Matthew 6:33 says, “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” There have been a lot of things on my mind lately, I was asking and seeking for some similar answers that Catherine wrote about. The Lord and I have been talking a lot about different areas of my life recently that I need to work on, that need to be changed from the inside out. I am holding onto things that I need to let go of, struggling with other areas that I have no need to struggle with. I have been praying for an overhaul; an overhaul of my heart and my life.
                “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” What are “all these things”? As I broke this verse down and sought the meaning of each word in this context, I was convicted, and then filled with encouragement from the Holy Spirit who gave me understanding this morning. You see, I have a tendency to focus on what is wrong with me, instead of focusing on the One who makes me right. When I begin to dwell on all the areas of my life that need to be fixed, then my focus leaves Him and centers on me. That is what the Lord God told Catherine Marshall that night as well, “Keep your eyes on Me.” Jesus tells us in verse 32 that our “heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.” He knows what we need, where we are at, and what He is going to do about it. So, what do we need to do?
                “Seek first the kingdom of God…” we are to seek, which means to seek in order to find. We are to have a heart that is determined to find God. Jesus told a story about a woman who lost a silver coin. She did everything possible to find that one lost coin. (Luke 15:8) The Lord said to me, “Not one stone unturned” when I am seeking Him. There is a determination and a desire to find God in these words that Jesus spoke to us. When that same desire is what my heart begins each day with, then He promises I will find Him. (Jeremiah 29:13)
                We are to seek with every possible fiber of our being the kingdom of God. We are to seek, every day, every moment, His kingdom. When I looked up the meaning of “kingdom” I was thinking it would tell me that it was a place, that the kingdom was heaven, I was very wrong. Kingdom, in this context, means God’s Royal power, His Kingship and dominion, and His right to rule over you. When I seek His Kingdom first, I am seeking Him to have the complete and utter control of every aspect of my life first. Nothing else, no one else can take that place. When I allow worry about daily needs come into my life, I am allowing worry to take rule over me, when God wants to be the only One on the throne of my heart.
                Jesus now tells us that we are to not only seek His dominion and rule over our hearts but we are to seek His righteousness as well. His righteousness means to be acceptable to God; we are to be right with God. Based on the areas of my life that need an overhaul, I have fallen short of this righteousness that Jesus is asking me to attain to. But, Jesus has been talking about our daily needs. He tells us that God knows our needs, and He will provide for the all if we seek Him first. Our daily needs are more than just eating and drinking and clothing. Jesus tells us that our life is more than just food and clothing, it is spiritual, our needs that we have are spiritual as well as temporal. (verse 25) God knows our physical and spiritual needs, and He promises to fulfill them all, if we do not allow worry to rule in our hearts.
                We are to seek His dominion and Kingship over our hearts daily. This is not a onetime deal; you give your life to Jesus, and wha-la! He has dominion, nope; it is a daily need that we have as sinners. Every day I need Him, more and more I need Him. Every day is His; He has given it to me to enjoy and to seek Him, to find Him, to leave no stone uncovered until I have found Him whom my heart loves.
                Every day the Lord asks that I wake up with two things on my heart. First, to seek Him in every aspect of my life, to leave no stone unturned, and second to ask that what I do today be acceptable to Him. When we wake up in the morning, (if the Lord so grants us that blessing) then we are to seek Him first and foremost in every area of our life. He will provide all our needs, (physical and spiritual) He knows them all. He knows what the day is going to bring, I do not.
                Three times in chapter 6 He tells us, do not worry, and He asks, “why do you worry?” So why do we? Why do we worry? When I begin to worry about finances, and daily needs, I have taken my eyes off of Him. And His words to me have clearly been, “Keep your eyes on Me.” When I being to dwell and focus on the areas of my life that need an overhaul, I have taken my eyes off of Him.
                We are to being each day with this heart attitude: I will seek Him with all my might today, and seek to be acceptable to Him today, not tomorrow, not a few weeks from now, but today. Tomorrow never comes, and besides, “sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” I have a daily need, and that daily need is to seek God first and foremost, to be acceptable to Him in all I do or say, today. When we being to focus on what is wrong, and what we need to live, then we have taken our eyes off of Him and put them onto ourselves. “Keep your eyes on Me.” That is His word to all of us today, keep your eyes focused on Him and what He has for you today, and all these “things” or areas of our life that we need help in will fall right where He desires them to, into His awaiting hands.
                Ladies, if we find ourselves worrying about anything, even the smallest thing- then we have taken our eyes off of Him and back to our own selves. Let us wake each morning with a heart that says, “Today, Lord, I will seek You until I find you, and I will live as You so desire.” In Jesus Name, Amen.