Wednesday, August 8, 2012

For the Word of God.....


                Do you believe the Word of God to be infallible, do you believe that no matter what God’s Word is true and there is none other like it? Do you believe that God’s Word is all powerful, that it is living and breathing? Do you believe that the Word of God is able to save your souls? These are questions we all have to ask ourselves at some point. The choice to believe is always in our hands, God has given us His Word, His final word on all matters of the human condition, heart and soul, whether we believe it or not.
                “For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.” Hebrews 4:12-13
                The Word of God is living and it is powerful. In the King James Version, verse 12 reads “For the Word of God is quick,” which means that the Word of God has the vital power in itself and exerts that same living power on the soul of those who read it. I know this to be true in my own life. When the Lord God spoke to me and told me to pick up a bible and read it, my life immediately changed. I began to experience a life that I never knew existed. His Word, as the syllables and the consonants resonated through my mind, they took root in my heart, and I began to change. It was by His Word alone that I came to know and to believe in Jesus Christ. It was through His Word that I came to see how desperately I needed Him in my life.
                Our scripture goes on to say that the Word of God is “powerful”, meaning that it is effective in the work that it needs to do. When we read God’s Word it works in us. God spoke through Isaiah about His word, “So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11) God shares His word with us, He speaks to us through His word and it will always accomplish what He desires it to.
                The writer of Hebrews goes on to say that the Word of God is “sharper than any two edged sword”. A two edged sword was the sharpest blade a soldier could have. Instead of sawing away at something, it was divided and cut with one decisive stroke. There was no “oops, I missed” when a two edged sword was used. It was used for precision cuts. When they would chop off someone’s head they used a two edged blade, sword or axe. It was done in one decisive stroke, there were no do over’s. (Gross, I know, but I want you to grasp the intensity with which God’s word works in us) God’s word is sharper than a two edged sword. It is the sharpest tool in the shed, if you know what I mean. There is nothing that can compare to it, and nothing ever should. There is no other tool by which God works in and through man- His word is the final say, it is His final work. With one decisive stroke His word will change your life forever.
                His word not only causes us to have life, and works in us, but it also pierces through us. Pierce can also be translated penetrates. His word penetrates to the deep recesses of our beings, of our soul, our spirits. His Word will pierce us, yes, sometimes it will hurt, but it always accomplishes what He desires it to. He does not speak to us flippantly or just for giggles, God speaks to us through His word so that we can be the person, the wife, the mother, the sister, the woman He desires us to be. He takes His word, His sword of choice, and He divides the immoral from the moral. He divides the life from death. He divides within us what is of Him and what is not. His word is working in us constantly, reviving us, renewing us and purging out of us all that is not worthy of Him. I don’t know about you, but that brings me great joy and comfort. To know that all that is within me that is not of Him, His word is weeding it all out, and I am growing and becoming more like Him. He is continually working in me because I am allowing His word to penetrate to the very depths of my soul and spirit.
                I will tell you that even though I was encouraged by these scriptures today, it also caused fear within me. Not fear in a worldly sense, but a godly fear, a reverent fear. These scriptures give us hope when we are reading God’s word, but it should also cause us to be fearful of our God who sees all, nothing is hidden in His sight. The scripture says that His word “is a discerner of the thoughts and the intents of the heart”. My thoughts and my intents are not always as “godly” as I would like them to be. And my motives for doing “good works”- what are they?
                When I looked up the meaning of “discerner of the thoughts and the intents,” I found that it means that God’s word is tracing out and passing judgment on the thoughts of the mind. He sees my thoughts, my ideas and my pondering ways and He takes His word, traces them, outlines them and then passes judgment upon them. Basically, He takes my thoughts, ideas, all my thinking and holds them up against His word. If they are not of Him, if they do not line up with His will for me- then He takes out His sword and He deals with them and me. Even the very thoughts of our minds our not kept in secret from Him. There is nothing hidden, there is nothing that we can keep secret from God. Even those that choose not to believe in Him, they are not hidden from His sight. They think they are, but they are open to Him. He takes His word and He lays open our hearts, our minds, our souls, our spirits and then He works in us and through us, weeding out the death and bringing us back to life.
                When we allow God’s word to penetrate into the very depths of our beings, we will begin to experience life, power, hope, that love that we so desperately need. So many times we find ourselves struggling because we choose not to believe that God’s word is the ultimate answer to all our troubles. When we believe that God’s word is the first and the last authority on any subject, on all the aspects of life than we can confidently go to Him and allow it to work in us and through us as He desires it to. He gave us His word so that we would know His heart toward us. So many times I hear and talk to other women who are struggling daily because they have not been taking God’s word seriously. They believe in Jesus, they believe God’s word to be true, but they do not take the time to read it, to let it penetrate into the very depths of their beings.
Can I encourage you, can I urge you today to take out your bibles and read them, believe that He is living and moving through the pages of His book, believe that when you read His word it will accomplish in you the very thing you desire most. So many times I have struggled and I have fallen because I chose to believe someone else rather than the Word of God. There is no greater love, no greater peace, and no greater hope, than the Bible that is sitting on your table, waiting for you to pick Him up and allowing Him to work in you. We should not sacrifice the time that we have been given with Him every day. Is there really anything more important than His word in your life?