Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Refreshed


             I woke up this morning exhausted, my mind was in a fog and I just couldn’t seem to shake it off.  I had a good night’s sleep, no tossing and turning or getting up to go to the restroom, but still I was tired and not able to shake it off. As I turned my desk calendar to today’s date, I read, “You answer us with awesome deeds of righteousness,” (Psalm 65:5) I didn’t think much of it, and went into my “closet” to spend time with my God. I prayed for strength, and poured out my heart to Him this morning. My prayers were of thanksgiving and for mercy. I was in awe of the wonder of His work in VBS these past few days, but my flesh was about to give out, and I needed His help.
                I am always in awe at how the Lord works in my life, and how He answers my prayers. Since my desk calendar quoted Psalm 65, I went there, but the Lord took my eyes and lighted them upon a different Psalm, a Psalm I needed this morning, a Psalm He used to answer my cry for His help. He answered me today with “awesome deeds of righteousness.”
                “O God, you are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land, where there is no water. So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and Your glory.” Psalm 63:1-2.
                The first thing that He showed me was my relationship with Him- “my God.” He is my God, my creator, my Lord and King, I belong to Him, and I desire to belong to Him. I cry out “my God” because He is my God, He is everything to me and for me. He took me back a few weeks and reminded me of that jealous love He has for me, and that I have for Him. My desire for Him was rekindled this morning; my passionate deep need for Him in my life was brought forward once again. I did not know that I had let it slip towards the back; I didn’t realize that I had let other “things” come in between us until He lit the fire in my heart again this morning.
                It is so easy to spend our devotion time with Him based on what we need to get done today. We cut our prayer time short because we have a meeting at church or we have to run errands and the list of our day is piling up, and there is not enough time in one day to accomplish them all. But the Lord is the author of time, and He showed me this morning that only one thing is needed in my life, and when I cut it short or try to fit it into my day, then I begin to lose that longing and that desire for Him, little by little. It is not always the big trials that take us away from Him, but the little things, the “sorry Lord, I’ve gotta run today can’t spend the usual time with you this morning, I have too many other things to do.” We give Him our “prayer list” for the day, read His word for a few minutes, and then we are off without actually spending any time with Him at all. What happens to us when we do this? We end up becoming overwhelmed, exhausted and dry.
                Secondly, He showed me that my number one priority in life is to seek Him early. David writes, “early will I seek You,” because David knew that the moment the dawn broke over the horizon and his eyes were opened to a new day, that God was there with Him, waiting for him to say, “I am Yours today Lord, what would You like to do today.” To seek in this context means to “turn oneself to Him.” When my day starts, when the Lord sees fit to allow me to wake up and greet His day, all He asks is that we turn ourselves to Him. Early does not mean at 5:00a.m. when the birds wake up, but it means that as soon as we are awake, as soon as our eyes have opened and we see the dawning of another day, our hearts cry should be, “I am turning to You, O God my God.” It speaks to us of surrender, complete and utter surrender to our God, whom we long for.
                Next, we are taken to a dessert, where our souls are thirsty; our flesh is dry and needs to be refreshed. That is exactly what I prayed this morning, I prayed for refreshing, because I knew I was wearing thin, I knew my flesh and my soul was wearing thin. Amazing how the Lord answered my cry for help this morning. I cried for refreshing, and He showed me how to get it! (We serve an awesome God!) When David wrote this Psalm he was in the wilderness of Judah. He was cut off from everyone he loved, and his home. He was also cut off from the one place that He met God every day- His sanctuary. But that did not stop David from crying out for God, and it should not stop us either. No matter where we are at in life, our cries are heard by our God, who “answers us with awesome deeds of righteousness.”
                Do you remember when you first fell in love? That moment when you realized that your thoughts were consumed with the one to whom your affections belonged? The Lord took me back to the first few years of my walk with Him. I longed for Him in such a way that I was consumed with thoughts of Him, my every waking moment was for more of Him. But as the years have passed and I have become more and more involved in ministry things, family needs, etc., etc.; that longing- that deep earnest desire to be consumed by Him has waned, it has waxed thin and I needed it back. Today, the Lord not only refreshed me but He renewed that passionate longing I once had for Him.
                Matthew Henry writes, “We must seek Him; we must covet His favor as our chief God and consult His glory as our highest end; we must seek a relationship with Him by His word and seek mercy from Him by prayer…Early, as those that are afraid of missing Him.” (Commentary on the Whole Bible) I have been seeking His help, but not Him. I was wearing thin because I was asking for help (which He has been faithful and merciful to provide) but my heart, my soul; my very being needed Him and Him alone. Today, my heart is rejoicing for His great love for me, He is my God, my very own, and no one, nothing, can ever come between us, unless I allow it to.
                So how do we get that refreshing when we are about to faint? How do we become renewed with that same passionate desire we once had? We start by seeking God early- in the morning, at the break of day we cry out with longing for Him, we turn ourselves to Him in total surrender. Secondly, we must seek God earnestly- our whole person being affected by this pursuit of God. He desires us, He longs for us early- He wants us to desire Him as much as He desires us. We can have that same passionate longing that David expressed here in this Psalm, we can have that same answer for refreshing and renewing, we just have to seek for it. He is the treasure, and you are the seeker. Bow our wills to His in the morning and cry out with deep longing for Him and He will surely give you the desires of your heart. I know, because He gave me mine this morning. He answered me “with awesome deeds of righteousness.”
                Lord Jesus, my soul thirsts for You, my flesh longs for You, come and meet me today, Lord Jesus. Fill me and refresh me in Your word. You alone are my heart’s desire. I am Yours and You are mine. You are my God, forever and ever. Amen.