Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A New Year


“I waited patiently for the Lord, and He inclined to me; and He heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit; out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth-Praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and I will trust in the Lord.” Psalm 40:1-3.
                This is the scripture that describes exactly what has taken place in my life the past year. You all know the testimony of how the Lord asked me to leave my job, step out in faith and follow Him. Which my husband and I did, and how the Lord has brought us through so much and blessed us beyond comprehension. But, if you have been reading my blog, you will also know that there was another promise that the Lord God gave me a year ago that I was still waiting on. As of a few days ago, that promise had not yet been fulfilled.
                I kept praying and seeking, asking and knocking for the Lord to fulfill the promise He had made to me, but His reply was “Wait”. (For a whole year!) For those who know me, they know I am not a “waiter” in fact, I am a “doer” and the “waiting” was difficult in the beginning. I would pray and seek the Lord in my times of doubt, wondering if He had really spoken to me or was I living in “wishful thinking”. He would confirm His word in me, and the promise that He made followed with “wait”, during those difficult days.
                As the weeks and months went by, the waiting became easier (to some extent). I learned a lot about my relationship with Him and my walk. He taught me so many things about Himself and about our relationship, that to me, when I look back upon it, those days of waiting were priceless. I still had my moments, don’t let me fool you into thinking I waited with great patience daily, because I didn’t. There are a few women that will testify that I was not patient at all and that some days I went into complete temper tantrum mode. But He was always gracious and faithful to remind me that my hope did not reside in what I “saw” but my hope was in Him. So, I would wait a little longer.
                The more I thought things were happening and His promise was about to be fulfilled the farther and farther away it seemed to get. But one thing I can say with all confidence, I never gave up hope. I never forgot the promise He made to me, I would cling to it when the doubt and the fear would start creeping in. I clung to His promise, His word, His hope that He had given me. I never let go of Him. I continued to follow Him in obedience, I continued to wait and be in expectation, all my hope and all my desires became His. Day by day I laid it all down, until there was nothing else to give. I finally gave up the struggle and the battle of wills (my will verse His will) and let go. I began to let go of what I knew and began to embrace Him, the One that I desired most.
                Scripture after scripture began to minister to me, and He began to comfort me through His word. A few months ago, the Lord God gave me a scripture that helped me get through the next wave of doubt. One morning, after one of my little temper tantrums, the Lord spoke these words to me, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9. He had once again confirmed His promise to me, and once again asked me to “wait” and to trust Him. I did, and the only way that I could have trusted Him through this waiting period was to cling to Him, to His word and to who He is. If you are waiting for something to happen in your life, if God has promised you something, may I encourage you to cling to Him, and to His word? Waiting patiently is only able to be accomplished when we do it in Him.
                A few days ago, the promise that the Lord spoke to me a year ago came true. (And it was almost exactly a year to date- imagine that!) Out of nowhere, when I was least expecting it, it happened. At first I was speechless (which for me is a miracle in itself) and then, after it sank it, my praise, my song, my heart, every aspect of my being was filled with the knowledge of His greatness and goodness towards me. I did exactly what the Psalmist here describes; I sang a “new song”. I was on the mountain top and dancing with the One who placed me there.  After the promise was fulfilled, the whole year came into focus. For the first time I realized how much I had gone through, how far I had to travel, how much I had to let go of before He could do what He desired to do.  Psalm 40:2 tells us that He “…established my steps.” I did not understand the road that I was travelling with Him, but He was preparing a way for me, a way for the promise to be fulfilled. He was getting ready to “set my feet upon a rock” and when I looked down I would be able to see that He did the work, He laid the path, and He accomplished His word in me and through me. It is not about me- it’s all about Him. Amen and Amen.
                He is the Potter and we are the clay. We do not know what kind of vessel we shall be, but we know and can trust completely in the hands of the One who is molding us. Just as the Psalmist tells us today, “wait patiently for the Lord” I too, can say “wait patiently for the Lord.” If He has given you a promise, if He has spoken to you He will fulfill it. It is not when we want it, or when we think we deserve it. But the promises of God come when He has finished working in us and through us and around us. We do not know the things of God, nor can we attempt to begin to understand them. But one thing is true- He is and always will be God, Jehovah, Lord and King. In Him we can put all our hope, all our trust, all our faith and to Him we can offer the one sacrifice He desires- our obedient surrender.
                When the Psalmist wrote, “He has put a new song in my mouth” the “new song” he is referring to means a “new year” song. A year, almost exactly to the day that the Lord gave me the promise and the hope did He complete the work and bring His word to pass. Amazed and awed, full of glory and praise for the One True God who loves us and gave Himself for us. But there is one more lesson that I hope many will see through this past year’s journey with me, and that is found in verse 3 of Psalm 40.
                “Praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and will trust in the Lord.”
May the God of all promises, the God of glory and honor and praise give you strength to wait patiently for Him, for His timing, for His goodness and for His grace toward us. May all of us bow our hearts, and our knees to the One True God who is worthy of all our praise.” Amen and Amen.
This is the song that I was given the day of the fulfilled promise- this is my “new year song” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEWtPY1QL8)