Monday, April 2, 2012

If Only...


Have you ever said to your children, “If you would have listened to me the first time, then ….would not have happened”? I have over the years found myself saying that to my kids, and I have also heard the Lord speak that to me on many occasions (more than I would like to admit!) How many times could I have saved myself from hurt and heartache had I just listened to my God in the first place? But, I tend to be a rebellious child who likes to test her wings and see, just in case there may be a better way. I was reminded of this heart attitude this morning as I was reading and praying.
Psalm 19:7-9 tells us that, “The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart. The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever. The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.” I have read this passage before, and was always intrigued at how the Psalmist broke down the different aspects of the Lord and followed them up with a promise. But I had never really taken the time to dig into them and see what treasure I could find, until this morning.  The treasure I found lay in verse 7. (I encourage you to go and dig for yourself in verses 8-14)
 “The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.” Most of us when we hear the word “law” we think of a list of do’s and don’ts, but that is not what the Psalmist is referring to when using this word. The Law refers to God’s direction and instructions to us. The only thing that I know that records all of God’s direction and instruction is His word, the Holy Bible. What the Psalmist is telling us today is that God’s direction and instruction, His word, is perfect, it is complete. There is nothing in our lives that cannot be fixed, because He has given us the direction and instruction we need to be made complete and whole. He also promises that if we allow His word to direct and instruct us, we will be converted, we will be brought back to life.
As I studied the word “converted” I found that it means to be restored. Converted is to bring back the life of a person who is wearied and whose life is vanished. I was once this person. I had found myself in a place where I was broken down. I no longer knew who I was anymore. The person I wanted to become was nowhere to be found. I had become someone I did not even know. My days were filled with fear, anger, depression, addictions, loneliness and emptiness. I was a shell of a person walking around in a very lonely and dark world. But the Lord God, because His word can bring me back to life, found me and converted my soul. When I allowed Him to open my heart to His direction and instruction, I found the life that I had always longed to live. I was filled to the brim with life- more life than I had ever imagined. There is nothing in our lives that is beyond His reach. He is reaching out to each and every one of us; all we have to do is take the hand of Him who offers to give us new life. If only we would accept the hand of our God.
Verse 7 goes on to tell us that, “The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.” I am not a wise person, never have been. But the Psalmist tells us that we can be. All we have to do is accept the testimony that is before us, the offered hand of restoration and transformation. Wise does not mean smart, it is not becoming a genius overnight. (Who wants to be a genius anyway?) Wise is used in reference to those who make the Lord Jesus Christ their God and Savior. Wisdom of this world is foolishness to God. (1 Corinthians 3:19) How many times have to tried to attain worldly wisdom, through self help books, motivational speakers, talk show hosts (no names) and found their so called “wisdom” to last a few weeks, and I am right back where I started from. But we have a true testimony of wisdom. A sure and trustworthy witness of wisdom before us, all we have to do is accept it. God has revealed Himself to mankind through His word, through the Holy Bible. There is nothing about God that is hidden, He came to earth, walked among man so that we would know His true character, so that we would see Him and believe on Him.
God has given us a perfect and sure way of having new life, of breaking free of the chains that bind us and yet we do not accept it. Don’t take my word for it, go and see for yourself that the Lord God is who He says He is. Psalm 34:8 says, “Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!” God wants us to give Him a chance that is all that He is asking for. We hold back because we think there is something better, something more we are missing out on if we believe and accept Jesus into our hearts. But, let me tell you from my own personal experience, there is no other that can even compare to the Lord Jesus Christ. I have found no one that can be everything I need, supply every provision of my life, and no love greater than what He gives me every moment of my day.
The Lord God is calling out to you today, “If you would just listen to Me, then….will not happen. I will restore you, I will care for you, I will love you as no other ever has or will. If you will only take My Hand and hear Me.” Oh, the struggles and the pain that I could have avoided in my life had I just listened to His call of love for me. Ladies, I pray that I can encourage you today to take the hand of the Lord God, the Creator of your universe and accept the help that He is offering to you. Oh that we would “taste and see that the Lord is good” how blessed and abundant our lives would become. We would no longer be these shells of emptiness walking around, but we would be full of the new life that He offers to each one of us. May I encourage you, no matter where you are at in your lives, in your walks, to take the hand of your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Really, what have you got to lose?
Lord Jesus, I thank you for finding me and for reaching down to pull me up from the pit that I was in. Lord Jesus my prayer is for the woman reading this today, Lord Jesus I pray that you would speak to her, that she would see and taste the goodness you offer her, that she would look up to You and see the hand that You have extended to her. Lord Jesus, I pray that she would take your hand and be filled with the Love and the Life that you have prepared for her. In Jesus Name, Amen.