Friday, April 20, 2012

Fit Together Neatly


This morning I was thinking about a few ladies whose opinions, wisdom and guidance I value above everyone's. When I am struggling with something, when I am down and out because of sin, trials, persecution, or whatever else comes my way, I always go to these ladies, knowing that I will be led by the Spirit through them, because of their relationship with God. Pondering on how blessed I am to have these ladies in my life, the Lord reminded me of a scripture passage, and a few words that lead me to what I am about to write in my blog this morning.
Paul tells us in Ephesians 2:19-22 that we “are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on a foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.” You may be asking what does this scripture have to do with the ladies whose wisdom I seek when I am lost and alone? A lot, it has everything to do with it.
You see, we are not alone as Paul states in verse 19. Paul tells us that we are “no longer strangers” meaning that we are no longer unknown or without knowledge, we have been placed into a building, fit together by God so that we can grow into a holy temple. Seems hard to get your head around at first, but if you bear with me a little longer, I think the Lord is going to show us some wonderful treasure. Paul says that we are “no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God”- to me that gives me great comfort. I am very blessed and very grateful to have a church family that is supportive, loving, understanding and gracious. I once was alone as a Christian. I was a new believer and had begun this great relationship with Jesus, but I had no fellow ship with other believers, I began to get restless within my spirit and my walk was getting harder and harder. It seemed like no matter what I did, no matter what I read there was always something missing.
What was missing was a family, a “household of God” that I needed to find. A place with the other saints which God had prepared for me to be a part of, a church home for me to find a place within, a place within the body that God wanted me so that He could use me to the full potential He had designed me for. I always felt like there was something missing, and no matter what I tried to do (pray, read, cry, pray, read) all I kept coming up with was empty. Then I came across this wonderful church, and that emptiness started to change. I started to grow; I started to feel like I belonged somewhere and finally, I started to feel like I was supposed to- united to Christ as one body, one spirit, and one mind.  That is where I found these wonderful ladies to whom I run to!
God desires that we as believers grow together. Paul tells us in Ephesians 2:21 that we are “being fitted together” how can we be “fitted together” if we are not together with anyone? Paul teaches us in these passages that we are not intended to be alone and on our own. We were designed for a higher purpose. We as a church are to be in unity, one spirit, one body, one mind. We are to be growing together, we are “to give constant increase in Christian knowledge and in a life conformed thereto” (Vines Expository Dictionary). Without the body of believers that I have been given through my local church family, I would have dried up and began withering away.
I belong to the household of God; I am being built upon the foundation of Jesus Christ, meaning that I belong to a “ministry of the Gospel and the doctrines of Faith”. (VED) Being built upon a foundation does not mean the church as the whole foundation, but refers to God laying down His life, His everything so that we could grow together into one holy temple. He is the foundation; Christ is the Cornerstone that holds us all in place. What an honor it is to be a part of the body of Christ. We are one in another, because we belong to a family not made with human hands, but designed and put neatly together by our Master Carpenter, Jesus Christ.
I don’t know where you are spiritually, and I don’t know what kind of church you go to, but this is one thing that I do know. You must find a building that has been built by God, a place where you belong. Being out of fellowship with your fellow believers, with your family in God will lead you to a dry and lonely spiritual place. You will begin to wither. God has designed a building for each of us to be a part of. Have you ever seen a roof of a house able to exist without the framing under it? Have you ever seen a foundation of a home with only single walls withstand the storms that come? No, because they were not intended to be apart from the whole building, nor can they stand alone.
Paul says in verse 21 and 22, “in whom the whole building, being fitted together grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.” You were never meant to be apart from fellowship, apart from a church family. If you have a church family that you are a part of, then continue there; continue to let the Lord God fit you together, until you grow into the dwelling place He has designed you to be.
I cannot encourage you all enough to fellowship with other believers. Without the whole building together, the frame and foundation will fall. I pray that each one of you will find your place within the building that God is designing with His own hands, that you will find your place among the saints and find the fellowship that you are meant to have within the family of God. May the God of all be with you each and every day. In Jesus Name, I do pray. Amen