Monday, March 5, 2012

The Unknown....


Today the Lord spoke something to my heart that I believe He is asking me to share with all of you who are like me and asking the questions “why and when”. I was praying and asking the Lord to open my heart to what He wanted to say to me today, He spoke this, “Stop trying to figure out what it is that I am working, but trust that I am working for your good, to prosper you and give you hope so that you may bear fruit to My Glory.”
That hit me like a ton of bricks this morning. I didn’t even realize that I was trying to figure out what He was doing, I thought that I was waiting patiently. Little do I know about my own heart! Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you,” says the Lord, “thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” I thought I was trusting Him to work in me and through me that which He has promised, but my heart was doing something different.
The Lord showed me something else, He showed me how to “Stop trying to figure out” and to just stand in the knowledge of His word. I had a pastor once tell me that knowledge must go from our heads to our hearts. We have a tendency to let knowledge dwell in our heads and our thoughts, but forget to transfer them to our hearts. We can’t walk in head knowledge; we have to walk in heart knowledge.  The Bible tells us that “We walk by faith, and not by sight.” If we understood and knew ahead of time what the Lord was doing, or how the end was going to turn out- what then is the purpose of faith?
This past weekend at our women’s study, I didn’t see it at first, but the Lord showed me this morning how we are all (as women) trying to figure things out. We, as women, are fixers and planners. We need to know what the outcome is going to be and how we are going to get there. But that is not the way the Lord works.  Pastor Chuck Smith says, “God never thinks of you in terms of evil, but always in terms of your benefit and your welfare. He is always concerned with the end result. God is always concerned with the eternal benefits. As far as God is concerned, the most important thing for you is that you spend eternity with Him. The end, the expected end, is eternity with Him. God is always dealing with your life with eternity in view. Now, we are very shortsighted. We are always thinking in terms of our present happiness, our present comfort, our present well-being. If I’m in an uncomfortable situation, I’m squirming, and I’m saying, “God doesn’t love me! Look what’s happening to me! I don’t like this!” But many times we are complaining about those very things God is using to mold and shape us for eternity.” If we knew what God was doing, all the time, then we would try to bear fruit of our own selves, and not of Him. He has our eternity on His mind.
Jeremiah 29:11 says that He “knows the thoughts that (He) thinks toward (us),” thoughts is also translated “plans”. The Lord knows what He is doing, and He knows why He is doing it. He also tells us in Isaiah, “My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord, “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9) We see and think in a temporal way, an earthly way- the Lord sees; works and plans in the eternal. We try to analyze everything that is happening in our lives and think that we know what and how the Lord is going to work, when in all truth, there is no way we can ever truly know His ways, or His thoughts. But, one thing we can do, one truth we can stand upon- no matter what is happening in our lives.
“For all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purposes.” Romans 8:28. He has plans for you, and those plans include peace, joy, love, grace, mercy, and all good things. His plan is that you bear fruit to glorify Him (John 15:1-8). There is nothing that happens to us that the Lord has not put His seal of approval upon. We need to stop trying to figure out why, when, what, and who and trust completely in Him, who has our eternity in His heart and on His mind. Trust is total surrender to the One who is and was and is to come. He knows the end from the beginning, and we would never be able to understand or grasp the magnitude of that knowledge in our earthly beings. So what do we do? How do we stop trying to figure out what He is doing, and trust that He is doing and working for our good and our good only?
We stand; we stand in the confidence of His word. We stand in total surrender of Who He is- God Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth, our Lord, our Savior, our Redeemer. We stand upon this promise, even when the storms are raging, the trials are overwhelming and the unknown is scary- we stand. “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11.
You may not understand why these things are happening in your life, you may not understand what the Lord is doing, but stand in what He has promised- that He has you on His mind and that He is working it for your good and for His glory. Being confident in Him, and through Him and to Him, bearing fruit to His glory. We do not always know what kind of fruit we shall bear, but it is not for us to know- for the fruit we bear is for His benefit, for His glory- not ours. He has your eternity on His mind.
“Stop trying to figure out what it is that He is working, and trust that He is working for your good, to prosper you and give you hope so that you may bear fruit to His Glory.” Amen!