Thursday, March 15, 2012

Swinging like a Monkey in a Tree!


As you may have guessed, I haven’t spent much time writing or reading this week.  My week has been filled with serving, taking care of dogs, running errands, and various other tasks that have left me exhausted and breathless at times. But I was beginning to run dry; I was beginning to lose heart this morning. As I prayed and asked the Lord to help me find balance in my day, and to help me find my Center again, to help me “center my day upon Him”, a scripture verse came to my mind.
Colossians 3:1-3 says, “If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, and not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” The words, “set your mind on things above” were exactly what I needed to hear this morning. My days have been filled with thoughts of moving, packing up our home, finding a home suitable to live in, etc. My days have been filled with earthly things. My mind has been focused on the present and not the presence of the One I need most in my life. My exhaustion comes from trying to do more than I should in one day (I am a Martha, I admit it).
There is a song out by Building 429 called, “Not where I belong” and that is what the Lord reminded me this morning. My days are filled with the responsibilities of life, but my heart has fallen down in the process. I have forgotten that I am not of this world; I have a home waiting for me, a heavenly home where Christ is seated at the right hand of God, eagerly waiting my arrival. When I let go of the earthly things, my heart goes back to Him. My desire for Him is kindled within me again, and a new and refreshing determination is birthed within my spirit.
We have to face the world; we have “earthly things” to attend to everyday. But when we begin to focus more on the earthly needs and less on our spiritual need, our hearts go from heaven back down to the earth. Our hearts become like a deflated balloon- flat and falling out of the air. But God desires our hearts to come from earth to heaven. We become backwards when our thoughts dwell upon the earthly needs of our lives. Our one greatest need is Jesus Christ. Our one greatest desire (whether we admit it or not) is Christ Jesus, who is in heaven.
Jesus tells us in Matthew 6:21 that, “where our treasure is, there our heart will be also.” Our hearts are easily led astray. Our hearts are fickle. Where is my treasure today? My treasure has been on the earthly things that need to get done. They have taken priority over Jesus Christ, and that is why I am off balance and floating away from the Anchor of my soul.
I would love to tell you all that I know how to make this go away, that the Lord has given me some new and profound revelation in regards to always setting “our minds on things above”, but He has not. But what He has shown me is that I have a choice every day, a choice of where my heart will dwell for the next 24 hours.
Paul tells us that we are to “set our minds on things above”, to “set” means to “seek or strive after, endeavor” to the things above. What kind of things are in heaven? God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ to begin with, then there is peace, comfort, joy, love, virtue, every good thing that we desire is in heaven because Christ is that One good thing we need most. I am to endeavor, strive after those things that are above. It is something that I will have to constantly work at, but there is hope for us who get caught up so easily in the things of the day- that hope comes when we realize that we are hidden in Him.
We have new life; Christ Jesus has birthed in us an eternal hope and glory that can never be taken away. And in the process He has hidden us in Himself. He has covered us with His presence, His Holy Spirit so that when the trials and woes of the day come, we can be confident that He is with us, that He has a purpose for this and that we are hidden. We are covered and concealed in Christ. I once had a pastor tell me that, “nothing happens to us that has not passed through the hands of our Father first.” When we are being bogged down by earthly things, we need to stop, and refocus our hearts on heavenly things. Begin to worship, pray, read your bible. Get your heart off of your circumstances and back on Jesus.
You know how people will tell you that God never gives us more than we can handle. I have a little issue with that saying because, to me, it implies that we do it in our strength. I want you to think and ponder on this, “God never gives you more than HE can handle.” To me, that makes much more sense. My days are going to be filled with earthly trials, worries, fears, doubts and my heart is going to sway like a monkey hanging from a tree. But I need to remember two things to get my heart back to the things above.
First- I do not belong here. I have a heavenly home that is waiting for me. The things of this earth, such as jobs, ministry, housework, etc. will die away. But Christ will always remain. By getting my mind off the present and focusing once again on His Presence, I will find that balance and Center I seek, and need. Secondly, I am hid in Christ. He has me covered, He has got my back. Nothing will happen to me that He has not pre-ordained and placed His seal of approval on. And, He will always carry the weight of the trial for me. I don’t have to, He has got my back.
I hope this helps some of you, and I pray that as you read this you evaluate your heart and where it is focused. My mind will wander and begin to ponder the things of this earth, but my God, my Jesus calls to us today to “set our minds on the things above.” Set our minds on Him and He will do the rest. He will make the earth stand still if that is what it takes to get your eyes and heart fixed on Him.
Have a blessed day, and may the God of the universe take your chin in His hand and turn your eyes towards Him. Amen
(If this link does not work for some reason…go to YouTube and type in the search box, Building 429 “not where I belong”)