Monday, March 19, 2012

Spiritless-ness


I have been running around lately, going from this project to that project, from this ministry to that ministry, and so on. This morning, as I went before my Lord I asked Him to strengthen me and give me motivation to accomplish everything that needs to get done over the next few weeks. Trust me when I tell you that I am booked up solid over the next few weeks, and the months ahead look exhausting. I am feeling a little “Martha” and a lot less “Mary.” So I asked the Lord to help me out, He knows my heart is to serve Him every moment of my day, to be the woman, wife, mother, sister, servant,  He has called me to be. But I was beginning to think I had taken on too much.
I have had many women and other servants of the Lord tell me that I am “doing too much” that I have taken on too much, so I asked the Lord this morning if that was so. His reply, “Do not grow weary.” My reply, “Well, I am growing weary. I am getting tired too easily and sometimes feel so overwhelmed and exhausted.” He led me to Galatians 6:9-10 which did exactly what I needed Him to do this morning- renew my strength!
Galatians 6:9-10 says, “And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.” To be weary means “to be utterly spiritless, to be wearied out, exhausted, it also means, “to lack courage, lose heart and be fainthearted.” To be utterly spiritless is where I am finding myself. You see, I am lacking the spirit (or motivation) to do the things I know the Lord has asked of me. It is not that I don’t want to do them; I just can’t seem to find it in myself to get up and do them. I have a long list of “to do’s” over the next few weeks and the list seems much more daunting than I thought at first. I feel like I am standing in front of this great wall of rock that I have to climb. But just the thought of climbing it makes me tired; I don’t think I have the strength to pull myself up it.
Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 5:58 that we should, “be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that our labor is not in vain in the Lord.” What my “spiritless-ness” has done to me has caused me to lose sight of why I am doing all these things. I have taken my eyes off the goal, which is the Work of the Lord and gotten my eyes on the tasks at hand. You may be reading this and thinking, “She is in Martha mode. She has taken on too much and that is why she is weary.” And in some respects you are correct. You see, the problem was not that Martha was serving; it was that she was serving in the wrong heart attitude. She wanted to please Jesus, but she forgot the most important aspect in pleasing the Lord, and that is her relationship with Him. The Lord does not tell us to “not serve” in fact, His word tells us to serve and keep on serving.
James 5:7 says, “Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits patiently for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rains.” A farmer will plant his crops; he will spend hours, exhausting hours working the soil, planting the seed, tending to the crops every need. He does not grow weary because he knows what the product of his labor will be, and he waits patiently for it to come. He rejoices in the early and latter rain, because it brings him one step closer to the finished product. So, how did this help me this morning? I was renewed in strength through His word. He showed me that He has asked these things of me, He has asked me to take on these responsibilities and these various ministries.  However, I can’t lose sight of the why; the why of what He is doing. Through me, through my obedience to serve Him, He will be able to have fruit in abundance. I cannot see the finale yet, but just as the farmer works diligently and waits patiently, so must I.
The Lord spoke to me this morning and said, “Be steadfast, Stephane, I am doing a work in you. You do not see it now, but when the rain comes, you shall see the fruit of your labors. Be patient and hold fast, continue.” His word was like an energy drink coursing through my veins this morning. He has given me the strength that I need to accomplish what it is He has called me to do.
You see, what we have to realize, as we serve our King is that it is not in our strength, but in His power and might. It is not our fruit, but His. It is not about us, but about what He wants to accomplish in us and through us. I don’t know if you are where I am today or not, but I pray that you can take heart and not lose sight of the final, the eternal reward that is waiting for you if you do not grow weary while doing good. I pray that in some way you are renewed and strengthened this morning to continue and be steadfast in the work He has called you to do.
The best advice that I can give you is what He gave me this morning. Do not lose sight of your Center, find balance in your day by beginning it with Him, let Him work in you and through you, and take every opportunity to serve those who are in the household of faith. In so doing, we shall reap the eternal reward of Jesus Christ. I do promise you this, that if you get in God’s word every day, you will never be disappointed.
Lord Jesus, we thank you for the opportunity to serve You, and to be in Your presence. Lord, I ask that You would fill me with Your Holy Spirit that through me You will be able to accomplish all that You desire. Not my will Lord, but Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. I am Yours, here I am Lord, send me. In Jesus Name, Amen.