Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Our Song


I woke up this morning with a joy in my heart that I could not explain. If you have been reading my blog lately, you will understand why this joy is so refreshing and needed. During my prayer time with my Lord I began to praise Him, just praise Him for His mighty power, His mercy, His grace, and His love-His everything. The storm was heating up outside, but the song in my heart was all about Him, for Him and to Him this morning. (There was an actual thunderstorm going on!) This reminded me of a simple word that we take for granted, and if we would just begin using it, our lives would change instantly. That word is praise. Praise is something we seek as humans; it is in our nature to seek praise for who we are, what we do, and how we live. But it is also something that God our heavenly Father seeks from us. Just as we desire to be appreciated, so does He. But He deserves it- we don’t.
This entire “praise” discovery this morning led me to Psalm 28:7. “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped. Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song I will praise Him.” Praise is something we are encouraged to do, and we are given examples of praise throughout the whole Bible. Old and New Testament scripture tell us to “Praise Him”. But why, why is praise so important in our daily lives? It is simple really, and being a woman that usually has a rollercoaster kind of faith, what the Lord showed me this morning made everything come into clear focus, and I am able to draw closer to Him because of it.
Praise keeps our eyes focused upwards and takes them off of our circumstances. You see, when we start to look at the circumstances of our lives, we can get overwhelmed, discouraged and disheartened. But when we begin to praise Him our eyes leave earth and focus on heaven, where our Father and our Lord dwell. When you are focused upwards, you don’t see the turmoil lying on the ground around you.
In Psalm 28, David is praising God for answered prayers. David is praising God for who He is and for what He has done in David’s life. Oh, if we would begin to take some lessons from David- how marvelous would that be! David said, “The Lord is my strength” meaning, The Lord is strong enough to handle the material, physical, personal, social and political aspects of your life. There is not one area of your life that God cannot carry. He is strong enough to carry and to care for every burden, fear and question you will ever have. The Big Guy in the sky is your defense, your refuge, your protection. God is our Super Hero. But we have to allow Him to be.
David goes on to say that the Lord is his “shield”. The Lord is our protector; He is the protective cover or barrier that everything, every situation, trial, tribulation, and sickness has to pass through before it can ever touch us. (For more about this, read Job ch. 1-3) Nothing ever happens to us unless it passes through the hands of our Father in heaven first. Having the Lord as your shield also means that He hides us. A few days ago, I talked about how our lives are “hidden in Christ” and we are protected by the mighty power of our God. We are behind the “shield” of God our Father. He fights for us, He defends us and He protects us. This alone should give us cause to praise Him!
But, if you are like me, I tend to find myself more in complaining than praising. And this is an easy trap to fall into when the storm is raging all around you. But there is hope for me, yet! So how do I begin to praise instead of complain or fear? It is really very simple, and the Lord showed me how to begin this morning. Once again, He took me back to Psalm 28:7.
David, after he said he trusted in the Lord, his “heart greatly rejoiced” and with “my song I will praise Him.” The Lord reminded me of a song I used to sing, the song that He gave me when I first committed my life to Him. It is called, “Mountain of God” by Mac Powell. David had a special song that he sang with the Lord during those times of trouble, trials and situations that were too much for him to bear. He sang with praise and joy in his heart- just as we are supposed to do.
What the Lord showed me today, when my heart is not praising Him and life is getting the upper hand, I am to remember “our” song and begin to sing it. This song always brings me to a place of worship and praise- ever since the first time I heard it. This song has brought me to my knees time and time again, with my hands lifted in total surrender. Because He is my God, my Lord, my King, my Husband and we have a special, unique relationship; it only makes sense that we would have a song- made just for me and Him.
If you do not have a song like this, I encourage you today to find one. Pray the Lord to reveal this song to you. If you don’t know where to start, start by turning on the radio (Christian music station) and wait for that one song to speak to you. He will speak to you and sing this song directly to your heart. I know, because our song does exactly that, from the first moment I heard it, I knew He was singing over me, and my heart sang back to Him.
Not only am I to sing this song to Him, but I am to start praising Him right where I am. Praising Him for His creation, the sound of the birds singing praise to Him every morning, the sound of the thunder as it rolls across the sky; there is always something to praise Him for. When we start to praise our situations in life will seem a lot less burdensome and our hearts will draw closer to Him. I promise you that if you take the time to praise Him every day your life will be transformed.
“The Lord is my strength, and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped. Therefore, my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song (Mountain of God) I will praise Him!” Psalm 28:7 {with my addition}
Praise Him, Praise Him all the earth, for He alone is worthy of our Praise. Amen!
Here is a link to “our song”- if it speaks to you as it did to me, may the Lord make this your song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgeMHHbFslk