Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Call to Seek


Have you ever searched for something? Perhaps a lost family heirloom or your wedding ring that you think may have fallen down the kitchen drain? What did you do? You searched until you found it; you did not give up no matter how big and daunting the task was. You kept on searching until the object of your desire was found. Today, as I sit here with my Bible beside me, I ask you a simple question- “Where are you in your relationship with Jesus?”
I don’t know the answer to that question, only you and Jesus know the answer to that. Maybe you have been walking with the Lord for 20 years, and have a good, solid relationship with Him. Perhaps you have taken a side street and are not walking with Him right now, or perhaps you have never even heard about Jesus and that He desires to have a personal, intimate relationship with you. Wherever you are at in your life, in your walk, there is a word the Lord wants us to hear today- that word is “seek”.
As I was reading today, I went back to Jeremiah 29:11-13, and the word that jumped off the page of my bible was “seek”. The Lord speaks this to us today, “Then you will call upon Me, and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me, and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:12-13. When we believe that God is who He says He is- our Lord, our Creator, our Savior, and that He desires us in a way no other will ever desire to be with us, something stirs within our hearts.
I remember back to a time when darkness I was in me, the world of sin and depression, emptiness and a constant void was surrounding me and within me. When I first heard the Lord calling to me to come to Him- I turned away. But there was this deep void in my being that I knew had to be filled. I tried to fill it with alcohol, drugs, sex, and work, everything that I could think of, and still there was this emptiness within me. And then, one day, the Lord spoke to me, not in a loud booming voice to “come” but in a stirring of my heart, a questioning to know Him, to understand Him and to see if He could fill this emptiness in my heart.
I gave my life to Jesus Christ not to many months after that. But you see- I had to first know and believe that He wanted me, that He desired me above all others (and He does desire you above all others). I needed to believe that He was who He said He was. So how did I start doing that? How did I come to a place where I knew the Lord was God and Jesus died for my sins? I started by seeking Him. In my heart I “called upon Him, and went and prayed to Him” (Jer.29:12) I remember getting down on my knees and saying, “Jesus, if You are God, reveal yourself to me.” And then the promise came, the promise that He gives me in Jeremiah 29:13, “And you will seek Me, and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” It happened that afternoon in April of 2000 that the Lord found me, and I Him. And my life has never been the same!
We need to understand that to “seek” the Lord is just what He says, it is a searching, an ongoing, continual, never ending search for Him. Just as we don’t give up until we find the item lost, we do not give up searching for Him in our lives. To seek means to “inquire into.” It means that we pull up every area of our lives, we search under every nook and cranny, and we don’t give up until we have the answer we are looking for. Jesus tells us in Matthew 7:7, "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” Ask, seek and knock is in this context a continual asking, seeking and knocking. We do not give up. Just as I would tear apart my entire kitchen plumbing to find my lost wedding ring, I would tear apart my life to find Jesus.
When we seek the Lord with all our heart, we purpose and determine to let nothing or no one come in between us and Him. We do not lose heart, even though the people in our lives will laugh at us, mock us get angry and some even leave us- no matter what- do not stop seeking. Because the Lord God promises that if we “seek Him with our whole hearts we will find Him.” We will see His face, we will see Him in our lives, and we will feel His love and grace being poured out into us daily. I was the first one in my family to say, “Jesus, come into my heart,” I was the first one to be saved and redeemed. My mom, who is now with the Lord God in heaven, thought I was in a cult. Not only did she think that I had joined a cult, but she disowned me for many months. She was furious that I would “believe in all that Jesus religion.” But I kept seeking; I kept allowing Him to fill that void that was in my life. I knew that if I would stand upon His word and not give up- He would do a mighty work in her heart. And He did. My mom gave her life to Jesus Christ in November of 2005. In January of 2007 He took her home to be with Him.
But I was given a priceless gift during those few years. I was given the hope of seeing her again in heaven, but I was also given a sister in Christ. A mother that I could read my bible with, I was given a chance to disciple my mother and show her Jesus. No matter what befalls us, no matter where we are in our walks, we should never give up seeking. There have been times in my life where I have given up, where I have said, “I can’t do this anymore, and I’m tired and weary.” But the Lord has been faithful; He has never given up on me. Even when I was living in the depths of sin and despair, He reached down from heaven, touched my heart, called my name and said, “Follow me.”
You may be experiencing this stirring in your heart, perhaps you have fallen away and the Lord is calling you back, or perhaps you have been walking with the Lord for some time but the fire has died away. Where ever you are at, there is one thing that we all need, and that is Jesus Christ. We need to seek Him; we need to search for Him with everything we have in us. We need to bow our knees and say, “Lord Jesus, come into my heart, I will seek you with my whole heart.” When we ask the Lord to be a part of our lives, do you know that the angels in heaven rejoice over you? Did you know that the Lord God desires to be a part of your life to be a part of your every moment?
I have never been so loved, so desired, so wanted as I am by my God, my Jesus. I do not know what is holding you back, perhaps you are afraid; perhaps you are not ready to give yourself entirely to Him. But if you are reading this, He is calling your name.
 Jesus Christ is saying to you today, “_(your name)_Come, follow Me. I love you, I died for you. I want to be with you always, and forever. Only through me can you have true and everlasting life.” So, may we bow our hearts and our minds and proclaim together, “Yes Lord, we will seek you until we find you, and we will seek you with our whole hearts, now and forever. Amen.”
(If you have asked the Lord Jesus into your heart, may I encourage you today to get a bible, and also find a church that teaches God’s Word. Being in fellowship with other believers is key to having a solid relationship with Jesus Christ. Please feel free to leave me a comment, if you have questions about what to do next, etc. here on this blog- or you may email stephis545@gmail.com {all names will remain anonymous} May your hearts be full of Christ today, and every day. Amen.)