Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Conversation With The Lord


“Lord, are you there?”
“Yes, child, I am here.”
“I have a problem.”
“I know, but tell Me about it.”
“You know I have this person in my life that drives me crazy! You command me to love my brother, to love as you love- but I can’t. In fact, I really don’t like this person.”
“I know. But I did command you to love them.”
“Yes, Lord, I know You did, but they are hard to love. I mean, they say they are a Christian, but yet I don’t see any fruit. You said I would be able to tell if they were real by the fruits they would bear- and I don’t see any fruits.”
“I did say that- but are you sure you don’t see any fruits?”
“Well, maybe some fruit. But this person is so hard to get along with. Their mere presence annoys me.”
“I know, daughter- I know. But I commanded you to love them, even as I have loved you.”
“Lord, I don’t think I can- I mean, I know I can’t. Will you show me how to love them as you love them?”
“Yes, but you have to give something up first.”
“What? Anything You want me to do, I will do. I love you too much not to follow Your commands. But this is going to be hard, Lord. I really do not like this person. When I am around them, I just want to scream. They really do drive me nuts!”
(I hear the chuckle in my Lord’s voice) “Child, do you trust Me?”
“Yes.”
“Then I need you to see something. Go to Galatians 5 and read verses 13-15, then come back to Me.”
“Yes Lord.” Galatians 5:13-15. “For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: you shall love your neighbor as yourself. But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another.”
“Lord, are you still there?”
“Yes, I am here- well, what did I say?”
“You said that through love I should serve one another. That I should serve this person, I don’t know if I can do that.”
“Did I ask you to do it?”
“Yes, well, in so many words. You said THROUGH love serve one another.”
“Through is a tough word to swallow when you are not walking in love towards someone. Through means you have to let go and let Me do the work. I need you to be the vessel, a willing vessel, my child. Are you willing?”
“I think so? I don’t know, it is pretty hard to let You love through me, because it still requires me to do the serving part!”
(I hear the Lord chuckle at my response) “Yes, daughter, it does require you to serve this person. Do you not want to love Me in this way?”
“No, I want to do what You desire of me. But it is very hard. But I will do according to Your Word, Lord.”
“Go and read what I said in Matthew 22:37-40, then come back and we will continue our talk.”
“Yes, Lord.” Matthew 22:37-40 “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it; you shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
“Okay, I’m back. I read it. I get this- I mean, I know that I am to love You with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, and that I am to love my neighbor as myself. I know this.”
“Knowing is where you start- walking in it is the destination you need to get to. You are not there yet with this person that annoys you. But what word did I use first in this passage?”
“You.”
“Yes, that’s where love begins- with YOU, not with what they do or say. Do I love you because you are always good and perfect?”
“I hope not! Because I would fail at that every day! You would have stopped loving me a long, long time ago if Your love was dependent upon what I do!”
“So, why is your love dependent upon what THEY do?”
“Ouch- that hurt.”
“I know, it was supposed to. So, after reading My Words- how are you supposed to love this person?”
“I’m not- You will? If I love you with all my heart, all my soul and all my mind, then loving my neighbor or this person that I don’t like will flow?”
“True, but let’s go a little deeper, shall we?”
“Whenever You say that, I get disciplined.”
(I hear His chuckle) “Yes, but I chasten because I love you, and want only the best for you.”
“I know. Okay, let’s go deeper.”
“I see you get frustrated with this person; I see the desire in your heart wishing evil upon them.”
“I wouldn’t say I wish evil upon them.”
“What does My Word say? If you are angry with someone you have committed murder in your heart? Don’t I say that?”
“Yes, oh, forgive me for that. I did not realize I was doing that.”
“You are forgiven, always. Let’s move on- what did I say to you in Galatians 5:15?”
“But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another. I don’t think I do that.”
“Really? You don’t say things to yourself or others about this person that annoys you? You don’t show them your lack of love for them through your actions? You really don’t “bite and devour” them?”
(Silence)
“Child, I see you. I see the very depths of your heart. There is nothing you can hide from me. Be truthful with Me and yourself- otherwise, you will never get through this and you will always harbor this anger in your heart.”
“Oh, Lord, I am such a sinner. I did not realize that my words, my thoughts, my actions towards this person were so hurtful, not only to them, but to me and to those I complain to. I am consumed at times with this anger and bitterness towards this person. Oh, Lord, help me to not be consumed, but to love as you love. To serve as You serve, to be who You desire me to be. Lord, love through me, please?”
“If you are speaking out against this person, then you do not love them. Your actions and words towards them are not in love, but in selfishness. I need you to do one thing to make loving them the way I command you.”
Yes, Lord. What is that one thing?”
“I need you to love Me with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind and all your strength. I will do the rest. When you start to feel that desire to speak out against this person, when the sin of anger begins to rise in you, when resentment rears its ugly head, I need you to look to Me and Me only. Love Me, Child. Love Me, as I have loved You. Can you do that?”
“Yes Lord. I am willing.”
“Do you know how much I love you, Child?”
“Sometimes I think I do, but then You will show me your Cross, and my heart is broken again.”
“My love for you is far beyond what you can comprehend right now- but if you follow Me, and love Me as I have commanded, My promise to you is that one day, one day you will be in My presence forever more. Then you will know and understand the full extent of My love for you.”
“Oh Lord, thank You, thank You for loving me, even when I am unloving. It’s not about what they do, or what they say. For if Your love was dependent upon my words and my actions, then You would never love me. Give me a heart that loves You and You alone, Lord God.”
“I have given, and you have received. Now, go and walk in that.”
“Yes Lord. May all praise and Glory be to You now and forever. Amen.”
“Have a good day, child. I am here with you, I have never left you, nor forsaken you, and I never will.”
“Thank You Lord. Amen.”