Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Waiting to Wait


There are times when I read my bible and nothing comes, you know- you read, you pray, you wait, but nothing. Just words off a page my brain is taking in. I used to get frustrated over it. I used to pray, “Lord, why am I not hearing you this morning/ evening, why am I just getting words but no “revelation”? It was not long after that when I realized I was “getting” something out of my reading time, my devotion time. I was getting to know my God; I was allowing His words to settle in my heart.
Every time we set our hearts to His word, we will be blessed. It may not be right at that moment, but the Lord God will use His word to speak to us, to lead us, to comfort us and to comfort others at exactly the moment we need it most. Psalm 139:1-4 tells us, “O Lord, You have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. You see me when I travel and even when I rest at home. You know everything I do, You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord.”(NLT)
We read our bibles and expect the answer to our hearts cries right there at that moment. We expect the Lord to give us some new revelation, when what we need most is patience, or to learn to trust. We live in a society that wants it now, they do not want to wait for it, and they want instant gratification. My kids are a fine example of the “now, not later” syndrome that has swept our country into utter chaos. My son, he is one of the most impatient people I have ever met. Unfortunately, he is just like his mother. But the Lord is showing me and teaching me the beauty that is found in patience and in waiting. Ah, the glorious splendor we can see and have if we only wait to receive it.
I felt that way about my time with my Lord, wanting something that moment; I did not want to wait for it. But God (love that…But God…so true) He always wants to give us the best of everything, the best of all He has to give. Some of you mothers out there will appreciate this analogy, I think. When you were pregnant with your child, the anticipation and expectation of that child growing inside you is worth every minute you spent waiting, am I right? The same is true in waiting on the Lord. Whether you are waiting for an answer to prayers, whether you have read your bible this morning and got only words, no matter what it is you are waiting on- think of how great it will be when you finally receive!
When the words from your bible that you read two months ago, come pouring out of you and into another sister who needed that  verse at that moment; or when the blessing you have been waiting on for months, and even years comes to fruition- how wonderful and mighty that moment will be. I have learned that there is beauty in waiting, in being patient. You become a little more like Jesus every minute you have to wait. Your walk is strengthened, your faith is purer, and your heart is steadfast on your Lord. There is such a wondrous aspect to waiting that we sometimes cannot see because we are wanting that “instant gratification” we think we need it quickly, but the Lord says, “No, it will be so much better if you just wait a little longer.”
If the Lord gave us what we wanted when we wanted it we would be spoiled and disobedient children. We would take Him for granted, and everything He wants to give us would be wasted. He knows exactly what we need when we need it. The Lord God is never late in giving us what we are waiting for- no, His timing is perfect.  “The Lord is not slack concerning His promises, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3:9. We do not know what the blessing will be, nor do we see the whole picture- But God does. He sees the end from the beginning. He knows how He will use your waiting to bless someone else. He knows exactly how long you will need to bring you to the place He desires you to be.
Now, don’t get me wrong- I am not so fond of waiting myself. But I am learning and seeing the beauty, the blessing and the wonderful opportunity there is within the wait. If you are waiting for something today, or perhaps you read your bible this morning and got a whole lotta nadda- wait, it will come. The Lord’s word does not return void, nor is He slack in any of His promises to you.
Be blessed today, ladies, and see the beauty and the majesty in waiting. May the Lord God bless you and keep you in His grace now and forever. Amen!