Friday, December 30, 2011

It Came To Pass


Yesterday was a very difficult day for me. I had not spent a whole lot of time with the Lord; my daily prayer life had waned to more pleas for help then for actual prayers. But then again, isn’t that what a prayer is- a plea for help. In my case, the past few weeks have been more difficult than I would have liked them to be. But the Lord is there to remind me of His unfailing love and His forever presence in my life.
I read a blog by someone else, who had reflected on the past year and had shared with the world their heart for God. I too have been experiencing a time of reflection. As the New Year approaches and the old one passes away, I am reminded of a few words that are written in God’s Holy Bible. “And it came to pass.”  Throughout the gospels we read these five simple words. And I begin to see the wisdom, the peace, the freedom that is found in these five little words. Everything has a purpose and a reason in our lives. The trials we go through, they have a purpose to either teach us something about our relationship with Jesus or perhaps to bring us to a place where we let go and we let Him in.
2011 has been a year of change, a year of “reset” and “refocus”; not only for myself but for my entire family as well. When the Lord spoke to me in April of last year, I thought I was hearing things. I remember being scared to tell my husband what I thought the Lord was telling me to do. I struggled for three months with the Lord about His word, which was so very clear to me, thinking I was off my rocker. But the Lord clearly spoke so Brett and I followed in obedience, trusting and stepping out in faith. The one statement that sums up the year 2011 for me is; “Faith doesn’t know where it is being led, but it knows and loves the One who is leading,” Oswald Chambers.
“And it came to pass,” over and over again, trials and tribulations happened to us. Our family was not where God wanted us to be, nor was our relationships. Day after day, trials would happen, things would not go as we had hoped and more and more I began to press into the Lord Jesus Christ. He became my refuge and my strong tower. He became that place where I could run and be comforted and loved, disciplined and corrected, forgiven and filled with grace. Everything that happened, it happened for a reason, and then it passed. The trial was over, the sun came out and we had fresh air again!  
Relationships within our family began to strengthen again. My daughter and I began to talk like a mom and a daughter, my son was home and we were happy again. But the mountains are still looming, and our faith is still being tested every day. The Faith Walk that this family is on together is not an easy one; in fact, it is riddled with rocks, mountains, streams that overtake us at times, strong storms and tumultuous winds. But our God, He has been with us every step of the way.
Had we not gone through some of the things we did, I would not be where I am today. My relationship with Jesus would be wanting and my family- who knows? But there is something that I have learned this past year, and I want to share it with you all- “And it came to pass.”
The trials, the tribulations, the fears, doubts, hurts and sorrows have to come so that we can grow and so that we can continue on this faith walk of ours. But, in the midst of every trial, there is an end. In the middle of the fears and doubts there is an answer, in the hurts and the sorrows, there is a reason- that is what we can draw our comfort from. I do not know what the Lord has brought you through this past year, and none of us know what is to come next. But when the storms of this life and the trials of this walk begin to overtake you, you can take comfort in these five simple words, “and it came to pass.” In time, in His timing, all of these trials and tribulations that we are going through will all make sense one day. We will be able to look back and reflect upon our year and see that no matter what happened, no matter what came our way, He was right there with us, and in the end, “it came to pass.”
There is a light at the end of your tunnel, and His name is Jesus Christ. Take comfort each and every one of you in these five simple words. “It came to pass”, breathe in and exhale, it will all be okay. Amen.