Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Church Family

Today, as I was cleaning the church, I thought about all the wonderful things I love about my church family. The kind words, the prayers, the encouragement and just the feeling of being a part of a family that makes going to church so worth while. I will admit, there are times when I have no desire to get out of bed on a Sunday morning and go to church, but knowing that I will be missed, makes those feelings go away.
Being in a church family that loves you in spite of your faults and failures is one of the greatest blessings that the Lord has given to each of us. Not only do we get fellowship and teaching from the word, but we gain brothers and sisters who are there for us sometimes more than the ones of our own blood. Knowing that I can go to anyone of them and say, "Hey, I am messed up right now and need prayer," and they pray right there with me, is a great comfort. Knowing that many have been where I am at, or knowing that I can be that someone for them is priceless. I think of those commercials for Master Card, you know the ones. Well, there is not a price that can be put on my church family. They love me, they support me, they put up with me. It is a wonderful thing to be in unity and fellowship with one another.
I am reminded of Psalm 133:1 "Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brethren to dwell together in unity." How true this is for all of us. I want to encourage you today to find someone in your church that you love and that you are thankful for, and tell them. God desires His people to dwell together in unity- keeping the bond of peace and love ever between us. How great it is to know that we have that, and if you do have it, Thank God- for it is a gift from Him. 
When new people come to our church, I pray that they feel that same love and acceptance that I did when I first attended. That is what kept me coming back. Yes, the teaching of the word and the worship were good and true, but it was the friendly hug and smile when I walked in the door that made the most impact. I now have many sisters in the Lord that I think of and pray for often. One in particular that I would be lost without. Having a church family is not something we should take lightly, but something we should seek out. If you do not have a church family, may I encourage you today to find one. If you want, you can come to my church, we would love to have you. And I promise you, you will feel love and acceptance the minute you walk through the door. Not to mention the teaching of the Word and warm fellowship. Stop by sometime, and visit. We are Calvary Chapel Clayton, and we are all children of the Most High God who calls each and everyone of us into fellowship and unity with the brethren. May the Lord God bless you and your church family, today and every day, now and forever, Amen.