Monday, November 7, 2011

But Words Can Never Hurt Me....

Today, as I was praying, my prayers felt hindered. Like He was listening, but there was something blocking my way to Him. So, I went to His word ready to listen to what it was that was keeping me from Him. I started in 2 Corinthians 1 and began to read. As I was reading I felt like the Lord was telling me “my words were not meaning anything”. You see, I had told the Lord that I would do something, even prayed about it to make sure it was His will- it was. So, I said, “Okay, Lord- I will do this in obedience.”
So far, I have not done it. In fact, I was beginning to think I should just put it off; perhaps it was no longer needed. But, no, He came to me this morning and reminded me that my words are important. I should mean what I say and say what I mean- to Him first, and then towards man.  Psalm 19:14 reminds us to make the words we speak towards God and man pure, and right. “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.”
When we tell someone we are going to do something- we need to do it. When we tell God we are going to do something- we need to do it. Nothing God speaks to us is flippant. Are not all His promises toward us good and faithful? Our words and promises to God should be the same. He did not condemn me for my lack of follow through, or my unfaithfulness- no, He lovingly reminded me that He and I had made an agreement and He needed me to follow through with it.
When we let the words of our mouths be acceptable to God, we become more and more faithful. It is one of these learning processes that we all have to go through. I pray to be a faithful follower of Jesus Christ, and He answers by showing me where I lack in that faithfulness. God is not only faithful to us in deeds and blessings- He is first faithful to us by the Word of His mouth.
Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me. Remember that old saying from when you were a kid? Unfortunately it is very wrong and not true. Words are the greatest weapon we have. The power that is in the words of our mouths can start wars, tear down governments and destroy families. God spoke the whole universe and all creation into being- by the Word of His mouth. We have been created in His image- therefore; the words of our mouths have power as well.
James said that the tongue was the greatest evil that was in man. He writes, “Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.” (James 3:5) He goes on to say, “With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.” (James 3:9-10) Am I saying that we will always be able to control our tongues? No, of course not- none of us are perfect. But, we can make sure our yes is yes and our no is no.
Even Jesus told us to make our communications be yes and yes and no and no. (Matthew 5:37)He knew the power of the tongue- because He was there when the world was created. God breathed you into existence by the power of His word. Our words to Him must be with purity of heart and full of faithfulness. Is there something today that you have promised God, or told God you would do, and you have not done it yet? Is there something God has asked you to lay down, and you told Him you have and you would- but you are still carrying it around with you? Oh, that we may see that the Lord is calling us to be faithful not only in our deeds, but also in the things that we speak- to Him first, and then to man.
Let Psalm 19:14 be our daily prayer. “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.”
Lord, forgive us for our unfaithful words towards you. We ask that our words would be acceptable in Your sight. That what we speak to You we would also walk in. May our Yes be Yes and our No be No, to You first, and then to man. In Jesus Name, we do pray. Amen.