Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fear God and Tremble Before Him? What?

Psalm 104
Last night the kids and I watched a scary movie. The girls screamed in fear at certain points, and hid under blankets. My son and I did not find it as scary as they did, but it made me see something today in God’s Word that I am lacking in my relationship with Him. As I was praying this morning, I asked the Lord why it seemed that I couldn’t “get going” sometimes. You know what I mean, you know that the Lord is asking you to do something, but you just can’t seem to find the gumption to get up and do it. 
Fear- it is a funny word, one that we say a lot around this time of the year. We tell our children to not be afraid, don’t be afraid of the dark, don’t be afraid, it’s only a movie and not real. But there is a fear that I think we have forgotten to teach our children- the Fear of God. Do you fear God? Stop for a moment, go and read Psalm 104, then ask yourself- do you really fear God? At first, I said- of course I do, but then the Lord showed me my heart- and I do not tremble with the fear that He deserves.
You see, fear of God is a “reverential fear, as a controlling motive of the life, in matters spiritual and moral, not a mere fear of His power and righteous retribution, but a wholesome dread of displeasing Him, a “fear” which banishes the terror that shrinks from His presence, and which influences the disposition and attitude of one whose circumstances are guided by trust in God, through the indwelling Spirit of God.” (Vines Expository Dictionary- Blue Letter Bible)
Revelation 14:7 tells us to “Fear God and give glory to Him for the hour of His judgment has come, and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.” There is nothing that is out of His control. We need to understand and have this truth planted so deeply in our hearts that we can never be moved from it. Fear God, tremble in awe and wonder at His Name. He is Sovereign, He is All Powerful, He provides every living thing upon this earth with life, He protects, He guides, He creates and He takes it away, He is in complete control- every moment, of every minute, of everyone and everything in it.
Instead of fearing God, I fear our lack of finances- do I not know that my God “..causes the grass to grow for the cattle, and vegetation for the service of man, that he may bring forth food from the earth.” (Psalm 104:14) You see, our God, He is God and there is none like Him. He is Creator, Almighty God, there is nothing come upon us that is not under His control, His direction, His will. He created the depths of the deep, there is nothing hidden from His sight. The earth trembles at the sound of His voice, the waters retreat at the sound of His rebuke.
“Do you not fear me?” says the Lord. “Will you not tremble at my presence, who has placed the sand as the bound of the sea. By a perpetual decree it cannot pass beyond it? And though its waves toss to and fro, yet they cannot prevail; though they roar, yet they cannot pass over it.” (Jeremiah 5:22) We fear the world, we fear man, but should we not fear the One who tells the sea- you can go no further. How much greater is our God compared to the troubles and issues of our lives. The issues and trials in our lives are like the waves of the ocean- they roar and toss to and fro, but God, our God has told them- “you can go no farther”.  
Look up! When you begin to fear what you see on this earth, look up! Fear God! For He has stretched out the heavens and His throne is never ending, oh if only I could express the magnitude of Your majesty, Lord God in heaven. May my fear and awe of you cause me to fall before you trembling and give honor to your name- today and every day.
Our fear of God should be one that makes us stop doing what we know He does not want us to do. Our fear of God should cause us to do and to walk and to speak that which He desires. Do you not know and understand that we have because He is allowing us to have? We are because He is allowing us to be? You are breathing today because He said you could. He is God alone- He is Jehovah, Sovereign and All Powerful God- He deserves my fear, my worship, my awe- my all. He deserves my best.
“And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you? But to fear the Lord your God, to walk in His ways and to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.” (Deuteronomy 10:12)
True fear of God should guide our every step, and our every moment. Fear God and you will keep His commandments.