Thursday, September 1, 2011

Whom do I say that I am?

It never ceases to amaze me how often I am humbled by God, my Lord and King. I have a problem with pride. I get into these mind sets where I think that I can do anything. I know God is calling me to do something, but I don't know why He is waiting to make it happen. Then, after I have come to the end of myself, and humble myself before Him, He shows me my pride, my sinful heart and my unworthiness.
2 Corinthians 3:5-6. "Not that we are sufficient of ourselves, to think anything of ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."
We are not our own. I so easily forget that it is God who works in me and through me. Jesus teaches us in John 15 that we are the branches, He is the vine. "The branch can not bear fruit of itself unless it abide in the vine." We are vessels, created, chosen and called by our Creator. We cannot do anything of ourselves- it is not possible. We are not sufficient- we are not able, or worthy. When we think that we can handle it, when we think that we can do it on our own, we are stepping out in pride and not of faith. God has called us to do specific things, for instance, lead a ministry- but it is He that has called, it is He that has equipped and gifted, not us. 
Being a branch basically means we are vessels. A branch cannot bear fruit. If you take a branch and you cut it away from the vine, it will die. If you take that same branch and plant it- it will grow a vine before it bears fruit. Without Jesus Christ we are incapable of doing anything. Does that mean we say that we can't do something because Christ has to do it for us? No, of course not. But what it means is that we take the step of faith, and Christ does the work. It is not our work- it is His, and His alone. We are vessels. Let us not get so caught up in "who" God has called us to be, that we forget "WHO" is sufficient to accomplish the work. We are not worthy, we are not competent. Our hearts are wicked and full of sin- it is Christ who works in me to do according to His good pleasure- not mine. When we start to hear ourselves say, "me, I- mine" we need to ask the Lord to give us a heart check- because we are no longer walking in faith, but in pride.
Galatians 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life that I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Amen- and Amen.