Thursday, September 8, 2011

Where Do I Live?


Where do I live? Where is my heart? These are questions I had to ask myself as I read God’s Word today. Paul says to us in Colossians 3:1, “If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.” If I died with Christ, and was raised with Him, then where do I now live? According to scripture I now live in the Kingdom of God. And where exactly is the Kingdom of God? Well, it is where Christ is- seated at the right hand of God. Then I am there with Him.
Tough words to swallow, I know. I am struggling to understand myself. But Paul goes on to tell us in verse 2, “Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.” Well, that doesn’t help me- or does it?  To seek, according to the Greek dictionary means “to seek in order to find, to seek by thinking, meditating, and reasoning.” What am I seeking today? Is it Christ? Is it a better job, whatever it is, God wants us to seek Him first.
Remember in Matthew when Jesus was teaching about worry, and how we should not worry. He said, “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat? Or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?”. He meant what He said. He goes on to tell us that we should, “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you.” There is nothing that God has not already supplied, there is nothing that we do not have- for everything is in Christ, to Christ and from Christ, who just so happens to be seated at the right hand of God- the Creator of all.
If we truly believe who Jesus Christ is, then nothing else- and I mean nothing- matters but Him. We do need to forget everything and everyone and “aim” our hearts for Him- for where He is- seated at the right hand of God.  He wants our all, because He deserves our all. Not just a part of us in the morning during our readings, but all of us all the time. Not only on Sunday’s when we are serving, but all of us, all the time.
Yesterday, I learned that everything is in His control, there is nothing in or on this earth or in heaven that He is not in complete control of. The Holy Spirit confirms this to our hearts when we begin to worry or have doubts. Jesus is calling out to us, “Come, find Me, and seek Me out. I am here, where I promised I would be, come and find Me.” For what things we find to be gain in this world, as Paul so eloquently put it, they turn out to be dung. (Philippians 3:7) Is there anything more valuable, anything more precious than Jesus Christ? I have not found anything that even compares to Him, not on earth nor in heaven. He is the ultimate prize and reward.  
I had to ask myself today, where is my heart? Where have I set my mind (affections)? Are they with Christ? If my heart is with Him, then my thoughts, deeds, every aspect of my life would be lived in the kingdom of God. Not living for the world, but living for Him. One of my favorite scriptures from Galatians is 2:20- “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” If my heart is steadfast upon Him, then everything I do, everything I speak will be motivated by Him; for it is not I who live, but Christ who lives in me, and who loves me.
We talk about complete surrender, we pray for it. But when God tells us to do it- we stop, we hold back parts of our lives that we don’t want Him to have yet. It is all or nothing, there is no in between. You have to say, “Yes Lord, I give you all” and then let Him take it all. Fall into the mighty hands of God- He so desires you above all else.
I have said many times that I want a passion like Paul’s, or a fire that burns for Jesus like Isaiah or Jeremiah- He affirms in me today, that I can have all these- but I have to give everything, every waking moment, every aspect of my life to Him. For if I truly am crucified with Him, then I am truly living with Him, as He sits at the right hand of God.
Don’t hold back anything- give it all to Him, seek Him out and go for it! What have we to lose besides this life of death and sin? Go for it, go all out and don’t look back.
Lord Jesus, that we would be totally sold out for You and You alone. That we would let go of whatever it is that we are holding onto, whether it is possessions of this world, or friends and family. Oh that we would realize You are the only One who matters, You are the only One worth living for. That we would bow down our hearts this day, lift up our hands and say, “I am Yours, and You are mine- now and forever. In Jesus Name, Amen.
If I live in the kingdom of God, then shouldn’t I be in the kingdom of God? Where do you live?