Great is the Mystery of Godliness
1 Timothy 3:16
“These are the truths of the faith concerning Christ”- Vines Expository Dictionary
-God was manifested in the flesh
· And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory as of the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:4
-Justified in the Spirit
· When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water, and behold the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him, and suddenly a voice came from heaven saying, “This is My Beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:16-17
-Seen by angels
· “Do not be afraid for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; for He is risen.” Matthew 28:5-6
-Preached among the Gentiles
· But I say, have they not heard? Yes, indeed: “Their sound has gone out to all the earth, and their words to the end of the world.” Romans 10:18
-Believed on in the World
· Which has come to you, and is bringing forth fruit, as it is also among you since the day that you heard and knew the grace of God in truth. Colossians 1:6
-Received up in glory
· Now it came to pass, while He blessed them that He was parted from them and carried up into heaven. Luke 24:51
The mystery of godliness is the hidden truths of our faith that we cling to and proclaim. Godliness is not something we attain- but it is a gift from God when we believe on Jesus Christ, the One and Only Begotten of the Father. Some translations have “godliness” translated as “God-likeness” and if we are to use that translation (bear with me a moment while I ponder) then we are to follow the same pattern here that Jesus set forth.
God was manifested in the flesh- He made Himself known to each one of us, and we believed in Him, and we too, beheld His glory, His Grace and His Truth the day we believed.
Justified in the Spirit- He came and is dwelling in our hearts through His Holy Spirit. We have been baptized and no longer live to ourselves. We are His Beloved.
Seen by angels- Jesus tells us that "Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." Luke 15:10 and He also tells us that if we confess Him before men, then He will confess us before the angels in heaven. We are made known to them because we believe in Him. We too have been raised from death to life in Jesus Christ.
Preached among the Gentiles- Jesus not only told the disciples to “Go therefore and made disciples, preaching and teaching them to obey His commands” once, but many times. His last statement to them before He was received up into Glory, “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth” Acts 1:8- it is the great commission and it is His command to us.
Believed on in the World- because we preach Christ Jesus and we obey His command to “go and make disciples” we as well as those who believe through our words bear fruit to God. We are His branches, He desires for us to bear fruit- continually. Our fruit is the fruit of those that believe on Him through our word.
Received up in glory- and we shall all be caught up with Him, and we will be received into His Kingdom. We suffer, but nothing is to be compared to the glory that awaits us in Christ Jesus our Lord. “Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.” 1 Thessalonians 4:17- Peter tells us “and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.” 1 Peter 5:4
Godliness is not unattainable- it is already given. He has given us the foundations of our faith, and what He desires is that we walk in them. I encourage you to take these scriptures and hide them in your heart today, meditate on them, chew them up and swallow them- bringing nourishment to your weary souls. We are His beloved- in whom He is well pleased. He has laid down the path and paved it- all we have to do is walk it. Simple.