Friday, September 2, 2011

Is My Walk a Worthy Walk?


I do not understand the ways of God, for they are too high for me. But what I do know is that it is “God Who works in me both to will and to do for His good pleasure.”
What I see and what I desire, are generally what God desires; for He has placed certain desires and dreams in my heart. However, what I forget is that God has to do the work for it is His will and He knows exactly what needs to happen to make the desires of my heart come to pass. It is not me to work and to do- for I have no power.
In Colossians 1:10, Paul prayed for the Colossians- “that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.”
There is an order here which I think we forget sometimes when we are praying for God’s will in our lives, or praying for something to take place.
First, Paul prayed that they would “walk worthy of the Lord.” To walk worthy of the Lord is to humble ourselves and realize that we are not sufficient of ourselves. We can do nothing apart from Jesus. We lay down our hearts; lift up our hands and say, “I surrender to Your will, O Lord. Not my will, but Your will be done.” We bow down our heads and humble ourselves before God. A prideful or unwilling heart cannot walk worthy of God.
Secondly, Paul tells us that he desires for us to be “fully pleasing to Him.” Paul did not pray that they would please one another, or that they would please themselves (God forbid). But he did pray that they would Please God. There is nothing and no one on this earth that is worthy of our surrender like our God is. There is no other God that is worthy of our praise, except our God. There is no one on this earth that will ever be satisfied with us. We strive to please man, when in fact, we should be pleasing God. If we are humble and have a surrendered heart- then we are pleasing God.
Now, Paul prays that we would be “Fruitful in every good work”. In John 15 Jesus tells us that He is the vine and we are the branches. A branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine.  If you take a branch, cut if off of the vine- it will die. We cannot survive without Christ, it is impossible. For apart from Him we can do nothing. He gives us the strength, the life, the very breath we need to grow. I cannot do anything- with man it is impossible. But with God, all things are possible. I need to abide (remain, dwell, envelope) my heart with Jesus. I am only a branch, I cannot bear fruit- the vine is what bears the fruit, and I am only a vessel.
Finally, Paul asks that we would “increase in the knowledge of God.” For a branch to grow and bear fruit, it must be fed, watered and cared for. Now, we know that our Father in heaven is the vinedresser, the one that provides and cares for us. But how do we increase? We stay in His word. We let go of ourselves, we bow down and humble ourselves, then we praise and follow Him, then we abide and dwell with Him- all through His holy Word. Without His word, we will dry up and fade away. But when we fully surrender to His will and His desires for us- our lives become fruitful and we begin to increase in knowledge and become more intimate with Him- our God and King.
So I had to ask myself, do I walk worthy of Him, do I seek to please Him only? And in my doing so, am I bearing fruit and increasing in my knowledge of Him? I could honestly say, no. How many times do I find myself sitting in front of the TV instead of spending time with Him? How many times have I heard Him calling to come and spend a few minutes with Him, and I take a nap instead. Or housework, laundry, the demands of others take first place over Him?
We all do it- we all have our moments, our days, and our minutes that we are focused on ourselves and not on Him. We will always battle with this, for as long as we are in this flesh, we will always want “me” first. But there is hope. When I find myself spending more time with the things of the world, and less time with Him- I stop and ask myself, “Is what I am doing right now, pleasing Him?”
There are three questions that we can and should ask ourselves daily-
First- “Am I walking worthy of Him, today?”
Second-“Is what I am doing right now, pleasing Him?”
Third-“Is what I am doing going to grow my relationship with Him and bring forth fruit?”
In asking myself these three questions, I become aware of my shortcomings, come back to Him in humbleness and begin to abide again in Him. We are not worthy of anything, nor are we deserving. “For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.” Philippians 2:3. It is not our lives to live, but it is His life living in us that gives us the satisfaction and joy that we desire. Nothing else can compare to what He has planned for us.
So, are you walking worthy today?
Lord, fill us with the knowledge of Your will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding that we might walk worthy of You, Lord. That we might be fully pleasing to You, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of You. This I pray to today, Lord. Give us the heart to walk worthy of You. In Jesus Name- Amen.