Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Is God in Control?

Colossians 2:10
“And you are complete in Him, Who is the head of all principality and power.”
I find myself saying that “God is in Control” but yet I do not live it. I needed a heart check this morning as I read this passage. You see, I have been struggling with something for quite awhile now. I have prayed and asked God to make the desire of my heart happen, and He, lovingly has not allowed it to happen yet. Will it happen? I do not know- that is not up to me.
When I read this passage today, I realized that God is truly in control. In the previous verse, Paul tells us that “in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily (in bodily form)” Jesus came to this earth as God, the Father, the Almighty, in full bodily form. Nothing that we find in Jesus is separate from God- a mistake I find myself sometimes making. They are not separate beings- they are the same, One God, One Jesus, One Spirit- all; everything, everyone is in His control.
I had to back track a little bit and re-read Colossians 1:16-17, “For by Him all things were created that are in heave and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones, or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.” There is nothing created that is not under God’s authority and power- nada, zip, zero; nothing.
Knowing this and believing this is where I have struggled in my walk, personally. I “know” that God is in control, but do I truly, deep down in my heart, believe it? Good question. You see, I forget that man is under God, and not the other way around. For we get so caught up in what we “see” that we forget about the God that we can’t see- the invisible God and Father, Jesus Christ. He is in control. If all the wisdom and knowledge of all the ages is from Him, and dwells in Him- then why would I not want every moment of my day under His control? He sees before I see, because He planned it that way.  He is in complete and utter control- I, nor shall any man ever be.
I have said many times, “what can man do to me?” But yet, do I really believe that? Am I striving to please man and not God? You are probably saying right now- no, I strive to please God. Do you? Do you really? I think we all could use a heart check today. It is the sin that dwells in us that makes us desire to please man, and the Holy Spirit in us that guides us back to Jesus. You see, there is a struggle in my heart today, and I have been blaming man for it- when in all reality it is God who is keeping me where I am. We all want to serve in the best roles of our churches; we all want- in some form- to be “on top”. We blame our leaders, our pastors, our bosses, our co-workers, everyone else for not “listening” to God when in fact we are the ones that are not listening.
I had to really take a good look at my heart today- which is not an easy thing to do, as we all know. None of us want God to dig into the deep recesses of our hearts and pull out the hidden pride and sin that is there- but oh, how He wants to. How can we fully understand the One True God if we do not let Him in? Our focus is so many times “about God” but so many times not “of God,” for there is a very huge difference.
Whether we are serving in the church as a pastor, a deacon, or someone that comes in to clean once a week- our focus should be on the God Who IS and WAS and IS TO COME. God is in complete control of everything and everyone- there is not one tree, stone or insect that God does not know and that He is not in control of. It is not up to man, nor you and I to make things or situations happen in our lives- it is up to Him, the One who created you before the foundations of the world and planned your whole life. It is His life to live and lead, not ours.
He is the Head of every living creature on the face of this earth- He is in complete control. He alone has the power and authority to guide and manage our lives- as He sees fit. Nothing happens to us that has not passed through His hands first. He sees and knows before we are even born. What has He asked of you? What does God require of us?
“He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?” Micah 6:8.
The rest is in His hands, not ours. It is His will, not ours. It is His- all of us and everything living is His.
Are you?